Uno Mas

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

Oswaldo from Autentica/Mextiza fame is opening a taco spot at the Ocean 'pod collective' or whatever it is. Eater with the details: http://pdx.eater.com...n-the-ocean.php

According to the filing, the 26-seat Uno Mas will serve meat, fish, veggie, and chicken tacos from 11a.m. to 11p.m., seven days a week.

#2 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

Oswaldo from Autentica/Mextiza fame is opening a taco spot at the Ocean 'pod collective' or whatever it is. Eater with the details: http://pdx.eater.com...n-the-ocean.php

According to the filing, the 26-seat Uno Mas will serve meat, fish, veggie, and chicken tacos from 11a.m. to 11p.m., seven days a week.

the name seems perfect...
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

Stopped in on the way back from the liquor store Sunday and talked with Oswaldo. He thinks they will be open by the 17th. Place was small and simple, but nice inside. They'll be doing handmade tortillas and have a trompo for al pastor.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#4 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

I thought Trompo meant top, like the toy - googled it and it all came together

Posted Image

#5 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,602 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

Stopped in on the way back from the liquor store Sunday and talked with Oswaldo. He thinks they will be open by the 17th. Place was small and simple, but nice inside. They'll be doing handmade tortillas and have a trompo for al pastor.

This gives me optimisms.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#6 kjcanfield

kjcanfield
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

Mmmm.... beer I hope? Can't have delicious tacos w/o beer.....

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

Yes, they will have a liquor license, but no guarantee they'll have it by the time they open.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

Posted Image

Stopped in and they were having a training session. Got to try some tacos.

Posted Image

It's set-up as a true taqueria, stools and bar only.

Posted Image

They do have their beer and wine license already. Notice they're doing mostly 32 oz bottles.

Posted Image

Menu is much larger than I expected -- nearly all various roasted and fried meats, but with a few seafood options and veggie options as well. They also have tacos de canasta (or, technically in this case, tacos sudados since they're not actually served from a basket), which aren't common outside of Mexico or in very large Mexican communities in the United States. Tacos are pretty much all $2 (or a dozen for $20). They're using house-made tortillas , but the smaller taquero tortillas that would be typical for these types of tacos in Mexico. I just asked them to send out one of everything they were making that day.

Posted Image

Started with three tacos, from left to right: lengua, carnitas, and chorizo.

Posted Image

Followed that with some chicken in achiote and moronga (blood sausage). They are making the blood sausage in-house.

Posted Image

Then came tripas (beef chitlins).

Posted Image

After that, mojarra and shrimp in diabla sauce.

Posted Image

Finally, one each of the tacos de canasta: frijoles and cotija, requeson, potatoes and salsa verde, and mole.

I'm not sure there's much point in going into too much detail. It was obvious they were concerned more with practicing on the POS and serving than on making sure the food was perfect. Everything was very chaotic, understandably, with about four or five times more people than should reasonably fit in the tiny kitchen. The tacos were free. They weren't open for regular business.

However, the flavors on all of the tacos were good. I thought the moronga was especially nice, a bit simpler than I'm used to with less of a sweetness from clove, cinnamon, etc, and more straight-ahead spiciness. Both of the seafood tacos were also quite good, cooked nicely, well-seasoned, piled with cabbage and pickled red onions. Also, it was nice to see they were dipping the tortillas in the fats from the various meats, giving them more flavor. I expect them to firm them up a bit more in the future, but these held together surprisingly well, even without being doubled up. I hope when they actually open that they'll crisp up some of the meats more. It's also worth noting that they're doing the very Mexican thing of having lots of salt shakers and under-seasoning the fillings. I suspect that will continue.

I thought the mole and the frijoles con cotija tacos de canasta were also especially good. I'm not a huge fan of tacos de canasta (or tacos sudados or tacos al vapor or tacos mineros) because the tortillas tend to be soggy to my palate, even though they do take on the flavor of the filling. But Mexicans love them. They've always seemed like primarily a breakfast -- or on the way to work -- thing in Mexico City, where they're very popular. But I've seen night stands with them as well, especially with tacos al vapor, which tend to be more meat heavy in my experience. Some think they might be one of the earliest forms of what is called a taco (a term not really found before the 19th century), as tacos mineros. Anyway, it's cool to see them on a menu.

Also tasted a few salsas: chipotle-tomato, avocado, chile de arbol.

They're officially opening next Monday. Not sure what their soft-opening hours will be.

Edited by Angelhair, 20 September 2012 - 09:23 AM.
mistake in price on a doz.

#9 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

What's "moronga"?
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#10 ntglassman

ntglassman
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

What's "moronga"?

blood sausage

#11 vj

vj
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

Have to say, the tacos de canasta/tacos sudados interest me most. Well, that, and the pulpo! Thanks for the preview, Nick!

#12 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,597 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

We went last night. Those steamed tacos are unique and the potato one packed a hot punch. The moronga was deliciously spicy too. The pulpo was tough, but again this is a very soft opening (though they charged us).

The main reason why I wanted to post were two: the fish in adobo verde and the chicharones tacos. The fish was perfect in every way and I simply loved sauce. I've never seen a chicharones taco(served with chunks of avacado). Stoner-iffic.

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

They didn't have the chicharron yesterday when I was there. Was it just the crisped chicharron and avocado in the tortilla or was it in a salsa verde?

#14 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,597 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

They didn't have the chicharron yesterday when I was there. Was it just the crisped chicharron and avocado in the tortilla or was it in a salsa verde?

It was smallish (quarter-sized) pieces of crispy chicharrones with avacadoes, onions, lime juice, cilantro (not salsa verde). I'm on board with any new chicharones delivery method.

#15 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

Went today and was greeted by this...

Posted Image

The menu said they were only serving it for dinner, but they were letting customers order it.

Posted Image

Got a "spicy pineapple" agua. There wasn't much spice to it. It was only mildly sweet and authentically watery. Very refreshing.

Posted Image

Salsas are expanding. There was also a chile de arbol not seen here because both were being used. One issue going forward will be that they only have (currently) two bottles of each salsa. I think they'll also need to indicate the hotness of the salsas. That's the most common question we get at Mi Mero Mole about the salsas. All the ones I've had have been tasty, though, and I think I tried just about all of them.

Posted Image

Ordered 12 tacos again -- which is about 6 more than I actually need. They are 2 to 3 bite tacos, but they do pack the small tortillas pretty full. I'd say they're a little larger than Robo Taco's or trucks that have $1 tacos, but definitely smaller than Por Que No or La Bonita. The tortillas are handmade.

These six, from left to right (top row first), were: surtido (chicken, beef, chorizo), lengua, bistek, carnitas, al pastor, chicken. Surtido was a nice mix. Lengua was really fatty and could have been crisped up, but tasty. Carnitas could have been crisped up and seemed like it has been braised rather than slow-fried, but had good flavor. The al pastor was actually the most disappointing meat of the night. It was just too dry. Chicken has a distinct achiote flavor, but I wish they were using thighs instead of breasts so that it was more moist. You can see another view here.

Posted Image

Another four, from left to right: tripas, barbacoa, nopales enchiladas, and moronga. Tripas were more crisped than the first time and still unctuous. I don't think I had actually had the barbacoa last time. This was nice: tender, infused with sauce. Nopales were also good, just a simple red sauce encasing them. The moronga was basically the same as before and still good. Closer pic of the tripas and barbacoa here.

Posted Image

I think my favorite of the day, though, was actually the queso frito. Very simple, just firm white Mexican cheese browned and sliced with some avocado. Milky, salty, and delicious.

Posted Image

Another surprising and delicious option was the chicharron. It's basically a chicharron ceviche, the crisp pork rinds mixed with pico de gallo, avocado, and lime juice. Too big for the tortilla, I ate it with a fork.

Another good meal. I'll be interested to see how it develops. I worry for the size of their kitchen if they get truly popular. I don't know how they'll get stuff out fast enough. But Oswaldo is in the kitchen for now and stuff has come out quick and good on my two visits.

#16 Cheryl

Cheryl
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

The queso is also my favorite. It tastes like halloumi cheese to me. What kind is it? The chicharron is like a nice bread salad, with the pork rind as "croutons." Only better. My other favorite is the mushroom. So garlicky and deliciously caramelized.

#17 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

The queso is also my favorite. It tastes like halloumi cheese to me. What kind is it? The chicharron is like a nice bread salad, with the pork rind as "croutons." Only better. My other favorite is the mushroom. So garlicky and deliciously caramelized.

I didn't ask. Maybe a slightly aged queso fresco or panela.

#18 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

must go here ...thanks for posting these

#19 aristo

aristo
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

Regarding the El Pastor... Oswaldo told me that he will probably switch to a fattier cut of meat. That should resolve the dryness. Otherwise, loved the steamed tacos (supposedly served only during lunch, but ask for them at dinner and you might get them), endiablado (seasoned shrimp), moronga (blood sausage), and chicharron. Great addition to PDX! Very affordable too.

#20 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

Stopped by for a quick bite on the way back to the office.

4 tacos, Chicharron, Lengua, Bistek and Carnitas. 3 bite tacos, but the small tortillas were stuffed full. All were good, loved the lengua just tender as can be. Chicharron was great, even though I got it to go so it wasn't as crisped by tasty and the avocado was a good add.

Tried both the avocado and chipotle salsas, both pretty mild but tasty.

Wish I lived closer, as I'd be there often. If I'm going inside to order a taco and spending $2 bucks per they better be better than the good trucks, and I can say so far with what I've had they compete with best trucks I've been too, and much better than the average trucks. Worth the extra quarter or 2 for sure.