• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ibgpdx

ibgpdx
  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hi,

Your advice would be appreciated for making potato chips.

I read that russet potatoes are they way to go for a light crispy chip. True?

My Kitchenaid only allowed me to slice 2mm or 4mm thick slices which was not perfect...really need a 3mm slicing disc. So I used a mandolin which worked pretty well.

I found that soaking the raw slices in water or salted water does have a big difference on the crispness.

However the slices are cooking unevenly....they will be golden on one half and much lighter on the other half. I am using veg oil at ~325F and 2" deep pan.

Any tips or suggestions?

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Hi,

Your advice would be appreciated for making potato chips.

I read that russet potatoes are they way to go for a light crispy chip. True?

My Kitchenaid only allowed me to slice 2mm or 4mm thick slices which was not perfect...really need a 3mm slicing disc. So I used a mandolin which worked pretty well.

I found that soaking the raw slices in water or salted water does have a big difference on the crispness.

However the slices are cooking unevenly....they will be golden on one half and much lighter on the other half. I am using veg oil at ~325F and 2" deep pan.

Any tips or suggestions?

Try stirring gently with a spoon right after you add the potatoes to the oil and then occasionally as they cook. You may also want to reduce the amount of chips you cook at a time.

#3 ibgpdx

ibgpdx
  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried another batch...and stirred while frying. From the pic you can see the centers are browning but edges are still white.

Thoughts?

Posted Image

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

http://www.seriousea...-potato-ch.html
Never give up! Never surrender!

#5 ibgpdx

ibgpdx
  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Thanks Jill-O! This could be the jackpot...will post results.

#6 ibgpdx

ibgpdx
  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

The article was definitely helpful. The vinegar + boiling water allowed the slices to fry longer without over browning. However they had a dry and somewhat coarse feel while being chewed.

I thought that the best method is to rinse and boil in plain water....it delivered a nice crunch, color, and tasted great.

Freezing rinsed slices yielded similar good results but required a little more browning to get a nice crunch.

Thanks again for the link.

Attached Files

#7 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

No problem. Both Serious Eats and America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated are great resources for anyone searching for the "best" way to cook something.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#8 scouty

scouty
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Try frying for 45 seconds and let rest outside of oil for 30 second and refrying using a chop stick to stir. I grate mine on a cheese grater and dry on tea
towel. Works great. Maybe a little more oil too.

#9 ibgpdx

ibgpdx
  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

Thanks Scouty I will try to oil blanch technique next time.

#10 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

Just saw this, but thought I'd say that my friend Dave at the Fireside grill does some bad-ass fresh potato chips at his restaurant/bar out in Tigard/Beaverton area.

It's called the Fireside Grill. I'm sure they'd give you some tips if you ordered a few beers.

I never did ask him how he did them though, they drizzle a Gorgonzola sauce on them.

#11 ibgpdx

ibgpdx
  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Just saw this, but thought I'd say that my friend Dave at the Fireside grill does some bad-ass fresh potato chips at his restaurant/bar out in Tigard/Beaverton area.

It's called the Fireside Grill. I'm sure they'd give you some tips if you ordered a few beers.

I never did ask him how he did them though, they drizzle a Gorgonzola sauce on them.

Thanks for the suggestion...will check em out.

#12 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

You could go to Papa Pau and ask them; their chips are excellent.