Photo

Szechuan Chef Chinese Restaurant

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

Got some takeout from there last night, a few of the dishes that have already been mentioned and.... was pretty disappointed.
I'm going to think it was an off night?

But one thing we got did stand out- cold spicy paper thin slices of beef with tripe.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#22 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hmmm.... too early to say if it was off for you or if the rest of us stumbled into a good night.

What did you get?

#23 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

The crispy spicy chicken, the hand cut noodles, the scallion pancake, eggrools, the cold beef/tripe.
Of them all the cold beef/tripe was the only thing that I thought to be above average. The sauce for the pancakes was good, the pancakes themselves no so much.

The hand cut noodles were gummy.

I'm going to be postive about this though and say that the ingredients used were a cut above the average.
Someone obviously cares so I would be inclined to think new opening inconsistency.
Thought twice about posting because I'm not big on saying the negative, but the beef/tripe was pretty great so wanted to make sure y'all knew about that.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#24 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thank you for that QV! It is helpful. :-)
breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

#25 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

Pretty good dinner last night at SC. I'm about to go back now to have the dish that was accidently placed in front of us instead of the table who ordered it. It was the spicy pig intestine hot pot that I wanted to try anyway, so I was hoping they'd leave it :-P
It came with a praise that "Not many Americans order this!" (I love how American immigrants always say this when they mean white, but I understand circumstances)
They were impressed.... then swept it away :-(
(EDIT: Had it next day, see following post)

Going back for it and fire-y fishy goodness now. But here are a couple shots of what we had (the green beans didn't make the pics)

Posted Image

XLB - confirmed made in house. Though the dough is a bit thick and chewy. but good!
Great with cold Tsing Tao. Very tasty and for ten dumplings I think it was like 5 or 6 bucks (bill total below)

Posted Image

Chong Qing Chicken - good, crisp, yummy, but NOT spicy. Got the first time treatment complete with forks, no chopsticks, and nothing over medium spicy at best, even when listed on the menu as very spicy.

Cumin Lamb - Absolutely delicious! Tender, well seasoned. Salty as to be expected, but not overly so. Some medium spice. Good balance. Ridiculous portions, all. Huge!!! Cheap!!!

Ma Po Tofu - Not my favorite version, but I love the balance of ingredients. It was mild to medium. This dish is just SUPPOSED to be hot as fire. So I don't like the mildness. Will specify next time that I want it traditional and see if I like it better.

Not pictured: Dry sauteed green beans. Not the best version in town, but nice and crisp. Too oily, but I love oil... especially at a Sichuan place. Good flavor, pretty salty, but lacking the pickled green veggies that you get at Cantonese places, as well as the ground pork that is often included. Like at Wong's King, who's reign supreme.

total for all this food, 1call brand liquor drink, and 4 12oz Tsing Tao, $87.60 plus tip. A very good deal! One of my party took home enough leftovers for two more modest meals. So, really pretty damn cheap. Portions are so big!

#26 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Just had a great meal here again!

Cold bone in spiced scallion and Chinese celery chicken appetizer:

Posted Image

Pork intestine dry hot pot

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

And whole (live) fillet of fish in Hot Black Bean Sauce:
(this was about 3 lbs and $13.95. Couldn't have been fresher or better!)

Posted Image

Very good! Successfully convinced server that I wanted the real deal. Results were really good!

Best of all....

Posted Image

#27 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

bump up...
added pics and details. Everyone needs to check this place out! Pretty damn good, and the prices are insanely low given portions. Leftovers all week!

#28 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Bam! Another meal at this little gem near me. Lunch menu solid if simple and basic (safe).But ludicrously cheap for lunch. Tried some new things so reporting again.

Substantial portion of large, fresh mushrooms and baby bok choy with rice,hot sour soup, and really good loose leaf jasmine tea $6.95
Posted Image
with added chili oil:
Posted Image

Another order of ten "juicy pork dumplings"with heavily gingered soy dip $7.95

Posted Image

Leftovers for one large meal tomorrow.

Everything fresh and not unnecessarily saucy or corn starch-y.

#29 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hit it for lunch today and learned a couple of things:

-The lunch menu is indeed limited as PtH stated above. There are virtually no sichuan dishes, so it's basically a downgrade to a competent North-American-style Chinese place. The twice-cooked szechuan pork is a good bet. It's basically spicy bacon stir fry. Vegetable dishes were very fresh and not overly sauced.

-I've learned you gotta ask for spicy if you want the heat levels to be legit. Don't rely on the fact that each dish has a numbered spicy level. Tell them to bring the heat.

#30 Kurt Spak

Kurt Spak
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

I had a terrific lunch there a couple of weeks ago with Sambamaster. Fyi, one can order off the dinner menu at lunch.

#31 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

I had a terrific lunch there a couple of weeks ago with Sambamaster. Fyi, one can order off the dinner menu at lunch.

Good to know. I'll ask for the dinner menu next time.

Kurt, are you cooking anywhere? Anything in the works?

#32 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

I feel so abused. :unsure:

#33 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:20 AM

Good to know. I'll ask for the dinner menu next time.

Yep. I've only been three times now, and "Sue" (my server) knows my tastes well enough already that when I went in for lunch Wednesday she just asked if I wanted a dinner menu.

The specials board at the entrance still had dinner specials. All in Chinese, but the one thing with some English was Szechuan chili crab. But at $28 I have yet to order that.. (and I'd be driving to Om if I was going to do crab).

Also, yes, spicy IS achievable if you glare intensely, eye to eye, and convincingly say you want it in Sichuan traditional style. SPICY!
Still hasn't been remotely close to my limit... But the food has tasted balanced (less salty) since they upped the peppers, pepper oil, etc

#34 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

Dinner Monday night. Had my least impressive item yet. But it was good, so here's a pic and notes. The Pickled Chilis with assorted seafood was a typical corn starch stir fry dish for about $12. It provided me with dinner, breakfast, and lunch today. The shrimps are the basic 16ish sized tails, and the squid was tube meat done in that weird tenderizer tractor wheel style. Nothing to write home about. Both were frozen/thawed, average quality, and the squid was as tough and flavorless as you'd imagine. The highlight was the TONS of black fungus, and shit ton of pickled bamboo shoots, random other veggies, tons of sliced cloves of garlic, fresh scallions, etc. And TONS(!!!!) of 1/3 to 1/2 inch long whole pieces of dragon chilis. A gazillion pieces. I'd asked for 5 star heat (menu listed as a 3 star item). It was pretty hot. Nothing insane. The batch of peppers was very fresh and surprisingly mild.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#35 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

Well, we can guess that Sambamaster didn't like it... ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#36 Kurt Spak

Kurt Spak
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

Nice cheap shot Jill. He liked it quite a bit.

#37 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Well, I'm glad to hear that he actually likes something, to tell the truth.

And that wasn't really a cheap shot at all (especially when he posts nothing but negative things on 2-3 different local food boards in a tone that is almost always condescending to the reader), but this is:

Well of course, he liked it, that's why he didn't post about it...he's got a reputation to uphold.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#38 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Well, I'm glad to hear that he actually likes something, to tell the truth.

And that wasn't really a cheap shot at all (especially when he posts nothing but negative things on 2-3 different local food boards in a tone that is almost always condescending to the reader), but this is:

Well of course, he liked it, that's why he didn't post about it...he's got a reputation to uphold.

Good grief Jill-O! This post inspired me to engage google.... Hmm maybe Sambamaster would be better off elsewhere. Or?

#39 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

Sambamaster's posts are on permanent moderation. They only show up once approved. There's ample reason for it.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#40 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

Back to topic, superb Cumin Lamb EXTRA SPICY last night. Not great gyoza, superb gai lan in spicy garlic sauce with chilis. Total for 3 stuffed diners $29.98

Posted Image

Posted Image