Columbia River Salmon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fulio

fulio
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

Anyone here read the article in Willamette Week about gillnetting? This is a very serious subject that I have strong feelings about, as should all food lovers in Oregon.

#2 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

I assume this is the article:
Fisherman’s Wrath: A campaign targeting gillnetters takes class war to the Columbia River
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#3 fulio

fulio
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

I assume this is the article:
Fisherman’s Wrath: A campaign targeting gillnetters takes class war to the Columbia River

That is indeed. this is a very complicated matter that has been pushed back and forth for decades. this current initiative, if passed, would alter the salmon world in a way that has never been seen. it would eliminate Spring Chinook Salmon from commercial harvest.
Even though it says it would allow Seine nets, they were banned in 1948, so a new law would have to be enacted for them to return. this truly is an allocation issue.