• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

I think most people had figured out what is was. Like The Gladiator, it does what it does just fine and I enjoy the place, but I don't think I'd give it ROY. To me, ROY should either be: 1) a trend setter, 2) innovative, or 3) kick ass so hard that it leaves the competition in the dust. I don't think it meets any of these three criteria. The explanation seemed weak:

...because it proved you could build a great restaurant on downtown's bus mall, because Van Kley has come into his own as a chef and because Fortgang has raised our expectations for refined service without sacrificing cool.

It seemed to me in the review that the argument was basically that it's exciting enough not to be lame, but safe enough that folks from Beaverton will enjoy it. They made a weak argument as well about how it's revitalized downtown dining or some such, which I don't think there's much evidence for. And if that is the criteria, there are much better choices, like Clyde Common.

Not worth fretting over, though. It's not a bad choice, just not a good one either.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#42 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

The real miss was on rising star. That should have been Aviary without a doubt in my humble mind.

#43 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

I haven't been to either one (well, not recently for Aviary), but everyone who's suggested one to me, it's been Aviary or Smallwares. My choice would probably be Ox, but that's "too new to review". Or I might punk-out and put Portland Sushi as the rising star. That's probably the truth with the wave of new, quality sushi joints.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#44 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

"...but safe enough that folks from Beaverton will enjoy it."

Apparently I'm going to have to start lying about where I live!

#45 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

I guess it's 'burb bashing all around. Zusam's tweet on LBB: "Guess I won't be eating @lbbistro any time soon. Self-described "foodies" from the burbs will descend like locust swarm."

#46 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

One thing about Little Bird getting ROY is that Gabe is boosted to the higher level I feel he deserves. For several years with Le Pigeon he was always getting one publication or another's rising star - kind of the Miss Congeniality of the restaurant world. With Little Bird he's now at the very top of the heap. I'm OK with that.

I agree with Flynn about Aviary. They were good before, but since re-opening they have gotten even better and definitely deserve recognition. John never thought he would eat anything called "crispy pig ear" and now, after having it, he can't get it off his mind and wants to go there again. I'm game as long as he pays next time. I love Aviary. There's no place else like it and at the risk of having it overflow with people (like Tasty & Sons) I wouldn't mind it getting more love in the press.

Best regards,

Amanda

#47 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

Gabe is the owner, but not the chef at Little Bird. The O was good at making this distinction and giving credit to all the people at LB who put in the hours day to day. Giving Rucker the credit at LB is sort of like giving Riley the credit for coaching the Heat.

Also, he already got ROY with Le Pigeon, didn't he, plus every award on the planet?

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#48 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

I wasn't aware that he wasn't the chef at Little Bird. I may be mistaken, but I don't think Le Pigeon ever got Restaurant of the Year. It seemed to get Rising Star all the time. I could be wrong. My memory can be kind of faulty. Anyway, I'm still eager to go to Little Bird. It has always been packed when I've tried to go and didn't feel much like waiting. Looks like there will always be a wait now anyhow.

Best regards,

Amanda

#49 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yeah, Le Pigeon split the award with Beast in 2008: http://www.oregonliv...ear_2008_b.html

I really like Little Bird. At 11pm or so when everyone has cleared out and you can hit up the bar with all the good things on the menu? That's fucking magic.

But I agree with Zukin on this. Not a bad pick, but wouldn't have been my pick. I sort of feel like the rebooted Brasserie Montmartre under Michael Hanaghan plays ball at least in the same general league as Little Bird, whereas I can't really come up with a place that competes with Le Pigeon in terms of creativity and execution. I get that you can't go back and make them ROY again for all sorts of media reasons. Whatever.

I know a couple people that feel like St. Jack should've been ROY, and I can see that for the same reasons I like Le Pigeon. But the menu essentially hasn't changed. They need more tricks up their sleeve.

Anyway, too much oxygen for what I feel was a pretty weak Diner. Michael Russell, you may have to do the whole thing yourself next year.

#50 katliebman

katliebman
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Cocotte? Kin? Heathman? Rly?

Nick - I know you had a bad experience the first time you came in, but we were chosen for this list based on consistently excellent food and service over the past year. We've grown up and continue to improve on a daily basis - I'm very proud of being placed on this list and I know we've earned it. We bust our asses every single day to do the best we can in every facet of the restaurant. It is our passion and you can see/taste it on the plate.

You should give us another chance before you continue to hate on us based on our very first baby steps/stumbles. Or not. Whatever.

#51 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

Nick - I know you had a bad experience the first time you came in, but we were chosen for this list based on consistently excellent food and service over the past year. We've grown up and continue to improve on a daily basis - I'm very proud of being placed on this list and I know we've earned it. We bust our asses every single day to do the best we can in every facet of the restaurant. It is our passion and you can see/taste it on the plate.

You should give us another chance before you continue to hate on us based on our very first baby steps/stumbles. Or not. Whatever.

Wasn't hating, just trying to elicit some response regarding these, none of which I've been to recently, but I was surprised to see ahead of some other places. I don't think I've said anything else regarding Cocotte, so I don't think saying that I've "continue[d] to hate on [you]" reflects my actions accurately.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#52 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

Wasn't hating, just trying to elicit some response regarding these, none of which I've been to recently, but I was surprised to see ahead of some other places. I don't think I've said anything else regarding Cocotte, so I don't think saying that I've "continue[d] to hate on [you]" reflects my actions accurately.

Listing something with nothing but a "really?" after it is most often viewed on the internets as sarcasm.
I for a long time myself have wished there was a "I am really not trying to be a bitch" emoticon....
...but I don't know if that's possible for me.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#53 katliebman

katliebman
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Fair enough. When I stumbled upon this thread and read your post, the implied tone warranted a defense in my eyes.

#54 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Fair enough. When I stumbled upon this thread and read your post, the implied tone warranted a defense in my eyes.

No problem. I don't mind being corrected.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's