Pad Kee Mao

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 essentia

essentia
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

Given rave reviews here for JC Rice Noodle Shop I'm ready to tackle Pad Kee Mao again. I think my disappointment with previous attempts stem from the fact that the recipes I tried called for reconstituted dried noodles instead of fresh or when I did use fresh the noodles just fell apart. I'll admit it may be a technique problem on my part rather than the recipe as such, but I'd like to master this dish once and for all. Sadly, I threw out a number of recipes that were spot on in the taste department. I like Ba'an Thai's version of this dish if that's a helpful baseline.

#2 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

Given rave reviews here for JC Rice Noodle Shop I'm ready to tackle Pad Kee Mao again. I think my disappointment with previous attempts stem from the fact that the recipes I tried called for reconstituted dried noodles instead of fresh or when I did use fresh the noodles just fell apart. I'll admit it may be a technique problem on my part rather than the recipe as such, but I'd like to master this dish once and for all. Sadly, I threw out a number of recipes that were spot on in the taste department. I like Ba'an Thai's version of this dish if that's a helpful baseline.

Not exactly the same, but this is a good recipe---and good with the noodles from JC.

http://www.shesimmer...ke-pad-see.html

#3 essentia

essentia
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Actually, jmatt, that's exactly the type info I was looking for -- technique tips rather than an ingredients list -- so thanks very very much! The blogger confirmed my hunch that cast iron is about the only way to go for us home cooks. My poor, beautifully seasoned Wok is getting less and less use every year ... *lol*