Adam
  • Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Kindle Kart
NW 27th & Vaughn
www.kindlekart.com

Posted Image

Tried Kindle Kart today on the advice of the WW. Took me a minute to find it, as the WW misreported the location as 26th and Vaughn, when in fact it's at 27th & Vaughn, and not immediately noticeable from Vaughn, either. Hopefully they get some signage up soon.

The owner, Kevin, was super friendly and eager to talk about pizza. Apparently he's been making it for about 15 years. He used to be up on N Mississippi, but he hated the oven he was using, so he sold it and built this one:

Posted Image

(Lousy photo, I know.)

The pizza was terrific. It's Neapolitan in style, paper-thin crust and wood-fired. I got the Margherita and the Sausage and was very happy with both. He mixes the dough by hand, no mixers, and lets it ferment anywhere from 24 to 36 hours, depending on the weather.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The Margherita, for some reason, comes with raw sliced grape tomatoes on it, and I think that's the only misstep here. I would either bake these on the pizza or cook them ahead of time and add them to the pie the last 30 seconds or so in the oven. As they are, they seem texturally out of place and don't offer much in the way of flavor, but they're easily picked off. Everything else, though, was delicious.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The crust clearly has enough salt in it, which is where so many pizzerias seem to stumble. Crust had a nice crunch to the exterior and a chewy interior, with an airy crumb. Perhaps a little too charred on the sides, but not so much that it bothered me. Sauce is somewhat thicker than the typical simple Neapolitan sauce, augmented with some visible herbs. The fresh mozzarella had a lot of flavor, and Kevin didn't skimp on it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The sausage on the Sausage pie is among the best in the city, rivaled I think only by Brian Spangler's at Apizza Scholls. It's studded with fennel and given a kick with the addition of cayenne pepper. Really, really good stuff. The pizza comes with sweet, tender onions that Kevin grills on the flat top beforehand.

Oh yeah, speaking of flat tops, Kindle Kart does burgers, too. Given the quality of this pizza, I'll definitely be back to try the burgers at some point.

The pizza is crazy cheap here. $7.50 for a 10-inch Margherita and $8 for the sausage & onion one. Dollar for dollar, that has to be the best value for quality pizza in the city. I only wish this cart were closer to me. Now, with Sandwichworks and Kindle Kart mere blocks from each other, I have more reasons than ever to cross the Fremont bridge.

#2 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hours according to WW: 11am - 2pm Mon - Fri.

#3 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hours according to WW: 11am - 2pm Mon - Fri.

I wish they were open for dinner. I would've left to go there right now, that's how good those pics look to me.

#4 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Went here today and got the aforementioned sausage pie. It got everything right. First of all the crust was just about perfect. It had excellent pull and chew with a hint of saltiness and bursts of ashy nuttiness from the perfectly distributed char. As it cooled, more yeasty notes came through. I loved it. As Adam said, the sausage itself was excellent. I always appreciate it when the grind is loose enough to easily bite through the sausage and crust in one bite, and this had that perfect loose texture. Pie was a little heavier on the mozz than what I'm used to with this style, but it didn't bother me. It tasted great. The sauce was fantastic. On the thicker side, but it had a bright, slightly acidic tomato flavor that helped cut the richness of the cheese. And the meal was so cheap, too. At $8 for a pie that filled me up, I felt like a thief. And those onions. Dang. Ok, ok. I need to stop.

Don't pass this place up. It makes some really damn good pizza.

#5 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

Looks like the cart has moved. New address:

3505 N Mississippi Ave

Still open 11 - 2, it seems.

#6 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

Looks like the cart has moved. New address:

3505 N Mississippi Ave

Still open 11 - 2, it seems.

That was their old address. Unless they've moved back there?

#7 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

Uh oh. I may have it totally wrong then!

#8 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

I was at the cart last Friday, so I'd be surprised if it's moved since then!

I know that Yelp has the address wrong. Don't know when they'll get around to updating it.

#9 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

About a month ago Kevin told me he was opening a 2nd cart. I believe downtown somewhere, but I don't remember exactly where since most of our discussion was about how he built his oven.

#10 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

I ate here for lunch today and it was excellent. No salt needed, great sauce, killer sausage, the onions were nicely cooked so they had a bit of caramelization. A great deal as mentioned above. I got the same two pies. I'm looking forward to going back and trying more, including the belgian frites.

My only complaint is the same as with most carts, the hours are so brief, only 11-2. I'd have to think they could make a lot of money down by me on 21st at night, but I don't know where they would park. Nobody has tried it but I wish someone would - maybe the gypsy parking lot? Maybe I'd get lucky and a stray ember would burn the gypsy down too (of course while no one is in it, im not a jerk).

Here's one of my crappy pics:

https://p.twimg.com/...EscDj.jpg:large

This thing won't let me use the img tag for some reason
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#11 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

I dropped by today for lunch and decided to get a bacon blue burger. It was really great. Meat was a little too done, but the beef was on the fatty side so it didn't suffer for it. Patty was well seasoned with salt and pepper with a great beefy flavor. Bacon was crisp and quite smokey but maintained a little chewiness with a slightly thicker cut. I think I might pass on the blue cheese next time since when paired with the patty, the pickles weren't quite enough to cut through all the richness. Patty was topped with the same onions that come on the sausage pie. Sweet, toothsome, just great. What impressed me most, however, was the bun. Kevin really knows what he's doing when it comes to baking, and this bun now sits up with Gruner as my favorite burger bun in town. It did a remarkable job of standing up to the juicy meat and didn't fall apart or get soggy while I was eating. I've had other buns that match this description, but those were leaden and doughy with little flavor. This bun has a sourdough nuttiness to it with a thin crisp crust that yields to a uniform chewiness throughout the bun. For the quality of the sandwich, I'm amazed that it only costs $6, but it does keep with my thinking that Kindle Kart is the best deal in town. Excellent pizza and burgers for dirt cheap. I wish hours were longer, but then you'd be running the risk of being too good and collapsing into a singularity.

#12 apetickler

apetickler
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

It didn’t occur to me to report on this at the time, but a couple of weeks ago I was eating at this cart and the owner mentioned that they’ll be moving downtown soon.

#13 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

It didn’t occur to me to report on this at the time, but a couple of weeks ago I was eating at this cart and the owner mentioned that they’ll be moving downtown soon.

I don't think that his current location will actually be moving. Last I heard, Kevin was outfitting a second cart for a downtown pod.

#14 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'll be in the city tomorrow and would like to try this. Their website doesn't state the location as far as I can tell. The posts above have me confused as to the location also, so would someone be kind enough to help this old codger find this tasty looking pizza? :)

#15 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

I'll be in the city tomorrow and would like to try this. Their website doesn't state the location as far as I can tell. The posts above have me confused as to the location also, so would someone be kind enough to help this old codger find this tasty looking pizza? :)

It's at NW 27th and Vaughn in front of the Montgomery Park building.

#16 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

It's at NW 27th and Vaughn in front of the Montgomery Park building.

Thank you! I hope they have extended their hours as I'm not sure I'll be finished with business by 2:00.

#17 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Thank you! I hope they have extended their hours as I'm not sure I'll be finished with business by 2:00.

I'm afraid those are still the standard operating hours.

#18 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,602 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm afraid those are still the standard operating hours.

My wife works in the area and I stopped by a couple times this winter during these standard operating hours and they were closed. 

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#19 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

My wife works in the area and I stopped by a couple times this winter during these standard operating hours and they were closed. 

He was on break for a month starting on the 14th of December. Currently he isn't open on Mondays while he gets his downtown cart ready to go. 

He posts his scheduling changes on Twitter.

twitter.com/HutchKart

#20 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

He was on break for a month starting on the 14th of December. Currently he isn't open on Mondays while he gets his downtown cart ready to go. 

He posts his scheduling changes on Twitter.

twitter.com/HutchKart

Thanks for the link. I didn't make it yesterday but will soon.