Photo

MI Orders Slaughter of all Heritage Breed Pigs

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Not sure how many of you have heard this story or have seen QV or me ranting about it on Facebook or Twitter, but I'm very surprised it's not getting more press.

Michigan has declared all Heritage Breed pigs an invasive species and has ordered the slaughter of all of the heritage breed herds. The Governor has the power to stop this but hasn't done it.

Worse, armed raids started yesterday at open field farms, and farmers were ordered to shoot all of their pigs on the spot.

This is nothing more than Big Ag throwing it's weight and money around to get rid of small farmers.

So my question is, why is it that we're not hearing from chefs & heritage breed pig farmers around the country weighing in on this? Do you think it's because they just don't know about it? Or that it's not in our back yard so it can't happen here? Or that they don't want to draw attention to what they're doing?

I'm just confused. I'm thinking about Laughing Stock pigs that Alice Waters loves, and I'm thinking of Sweetbriar Farms, the farms that raise Tails & Trotters pigs, Square Peg farms, Singing Pig and so many other small (by comparison) farms that raise heritage breed pigs. Who's to say that since they had such great success in Michigan, that they won't roll out their lobbying plan across the country and come to Oregon as well?

It seems awfully quiet out there while these armed raids are being conducted and herds being slaughtered by the day. What do you guys think is going on, why isn't this getting more national attention from celebrity chefs & farmers, and media?

#2 HamSa

HamSa
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

Hadn't heard about it till I read your post. It's been kept very quiet.... as is the radiation levels on our food supply but that's another post. Anyway, Heritage Pig slaughter, I think it's disgusting. I sent email to Gov. Rick Snyder & posted info/links on my FB page.

Found this online:

What Can You Do?
Michigan Governor Rick Snyder has the power to rescind the order. People need to call, fax or email the governor demanding that he immediately rescind this unconstitutional ISO. Below are suggested talking point.

Governor Rick Snyder, State Capitol
P.O. Box 30013
Lansing, MI 48909
Rick.Snyder@michigan.gov

PHONE: (517) 335-7858
FAX: (517) 335-6863

TALKING POINTS

1. DNR needs to stay off farms
2. DNR needs to repeal the Invasive Species Order to not include ALL swine that are under the husbandry of humans no matter how they are raised.
3. The order denies consumers their rights to access foods of their choice.
4. The order violates farmersí property rights and the right to make a living.

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

I saw that earlier today, but was waiting until someone other than "Natural News" posted something less polemical. I think all the other news bits followed from the Natural News post. From what I read, though, it seems rather typical: government regulation in the guise of "the greater good" that serves mostly large business interests at the expense of smaller ones and start-ups.

Still, I'm suspicious of the farmer who allegedly had to kill all his pigs on fear that the government was going to come breaking down his door and do it for him. His story doesn't add up and pretty much all the controversy stems from that one guy's lawsuit and act of killing his pigs from what I can gather.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 HamSa

HamSa
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

This is the only non-natural news post that I have found
http://www.marketwat...erts-2012-04-05

I went to Michigan's DNR page and the minutes from the last meeting are posted, there's just the smallest blurb on the issue.

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

This is the only non-natural news post that I have found
http://www.marketwat...erts-2012-04-05

I went to Michigan's DNR page and the minutes from the last meeting are posted, there's just the smallest blurb on the issue.

Which isn't a news item, but rather a press release.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

I've got a non-NN link or two but no time to post during service. Will get on it later if no one else does.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#7 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

FWIW my main source of updates on this topic has been Farm to Consumer.com
Here's one right quick: http://foodfreedomgr...-problem-in-mi/
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#8 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Tulsa Today covered in from Oklahoma. I've posted the story on both The Daily Show and the Colbert Report to see if they pick it up. It's just that outrageous that they might.

Also, this is only Day 1. Allegedly the armed raids happened either yesterday or today, I can't quite tell. But essentially we're on Day 1 of what might end up being a national media frenzy.

The Governor has the power to stop this. If this POS bill passed in California, you can bet Alice Waters and every other celebrity chef across the country would be all over the media. Just because it's not in our backyard doesn't mean it can't happen here. Big Ag won a huge victory with all their money and influence. No reason they can't take that model and roll it out lobbying states across the country to do the same. And before we know it, we've got Hormel or Cargill for choice, and that's it.

It's positively disgusting that this bill passed and is being used in this manner.

Tulsa Today: http://www.tulsatoda...stories-content

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Tulsa Today covered in from Oklahoma. I've posted the story on both The Daily Show and the Colbert Report to see if they pick it up. It's just that outrageous that they might.

That just uses the Natural News story.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#10 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

http://foodfreedomgr...-problem-in-mi/

This one, Nick, if you scroll to the bottom has a list of references including links to the DNR filings:
http://www.farmtocon...ng-hog-wild.htm

#11 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

Having a little trouble with this site today, sorry for double post.

#12 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

I sent letters to the editors of the NYT and Eater asking if they can cover the story.

#13 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Here's a report on Michigan Live's website. MLive appears to be the website for Michigan's newspaper, kind of like Oregonlive is to The Oregonian.

http://www.mlive.com...s_to_alleg.html

In this report, the DNR is responding to allegations of armed raids:

DNR public information officer Ed Golder said allegations of conservation officers being involved in "armed raids on pig farmers" are just not true.

"There was one instance where the (conservation officers) asked to inspect a site on April 1. The owner denied access to the officers and told them to get a warrant," Golder said. "The officers returned on April 13 with an administrative inspection warrant." Golder said the administrative inspection warrant isn't a criminal warrant, it just allows the officers to inspect the premises in a reasonable manner.

The DNR website says conservation officers are "fully commissioned as state peace officers with full power and authority to enforce Michigan's criminal laws." And, yes, they can carry guns.

The conservation officers found no invasive feral swine at the location, dead or alive, Golder said, and he disputes the notion that officers shot or forced anyone to shoot their swine.

This disputes the story of the farmer who said DNR told him to kill his pigs or face arrest + fines.

Also, the amendment to the invasive species act took effect in Dec 2010, and farmers were given until April 1, 2012 to comply. The report says that in that time window (about 2 gestation cycles), many farmers were able sell their pigs to other farmers outside of Michigan.

So the only thing outstanding is the question of whether that farmer's story is true, along with whether the two photos I saw posted (one of a pile of dead pigs, and the other of a plastic palette with dead pigs) are related to this story.

#14 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

Also, the amendment to the invasive species act took effect in Dec 2010, and farmers were given until April 1, 2012 to comply. The report says that in that time window (about 2 gestation cycles), many farmers were able sell their pigs to other farmers outside of Michigan.

I don't know that giving them 2 cycles to comply makes the order any more reasonable.

#15 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

I don't know that giving them 2 cycles to comply makes the order any more reasonable.

I personally don't think it's reasonable. I think it's Big Ag money buying influence, and they finally found an "in" using the invasive species act.

#16 CharcuterieDude

CharcuterieDude
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Hello Everyone, I live in Michigan and have been buried into the middle of this story. I run a Charcuterie group on Facebook called "The Salt Cured Pig" so I know a good amount of Michigan Farmers. The amount of misinformation in the story is astounding. First of all the only pigs the State DNR is trying to get rid of is Eurasian and Russian Boars or crosses of these two breeds. Mark baker who is at the center of the Muck Slinging is maybe the only farmer who is being affected by this. We has a single Male Mangalitsa and has been cross breeding it with the Russian Boars. He then will tell everyone they are Mangalitsas. I am not sure if you are like me but if I ordered a Waygu steak and found out it was 50% Angus...I would be pissed. I am in no way employed or even know anyone in the Big Ag pork industry. I am a Network Administrator who plays with his food and my food of choice is locally pasture raised pigs.

Anyways all Michigan farmers can still raise Red Wattles, Mangalitsa, Berkshire, Ossabaw, Duroc's, KuneKune, Guinea Hog, Tamworth, Ass Black Limousin, Cinta Senese, Meishan, Large Black, pot bellied pig, American Landrace, American Yorkshire, British Lop, Chester White, Choctaw Hog, Gloucestershire Old Spot, Hereford, Jersey Red, Poland China and Wessex Saddleback.

I think a general shoot first ask questions later culture has grabbed on to this story and too many people have taken this one man's story and turned it into a libertarian cause du jour. I know I am just one man and this is my story but I can offer you this.

http://jasonfoscolo.com/?p=585
http://jasonfoscolo.com/?p=594
http://jasonfoscolo.com/?p=601

http://www.puremanga...om/contact.html - Mangalitsa Importers and Farmers from Michigan. Wilhelm and Marc are having absolutely no problems with the DNR.
A quote from Wilhelm - Please note that Mark Baker does not raise Mangaltsa pigs. According to his own testimony in Lansing he raises Russian Boar that he has crossed with Mangalitsa. He only owns one single Mangalitsa pig. So please correct the article. Thank you. If you are interested in Mangalitsa pigs, a purely domestic animal, please look at our facebook page "pure mangalitsa" or plan on visiting our farm.

#17 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

LOL.
So what you're saying is.. "as long as they don't go after MY stuff its A_OK"?
Ever heard of "principles"?

#18 CharcuterieDude

CharcuterieDude
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:56 AM

So it is OK for some people to introduce a non-native species into a area, running the risk that they will start doing what the animals do naturally. Breed and tear up the group. Texas looses about $50,000,000 a year in crops. Are the rest of Michigan's farmers going to be compensated by this one farmer and a small hand full of hunting ranches? Sure I have heard of Principles, and along with that comes respectability. The reality is that these Boars are not neutral on a eco-system and do not belong here. If you disagree with that I hope one day a Pest controller drops off a nice box of roof rats into your house....just so he can have the pleasure of hunting them down and charging you for that pleasure. So yes my principles tell me to keep endangered species and invasive species out of the butchers counter.

#19 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Great video on this issue from Mark Baker, the Michigan pig farmer who's raising awareness of the DNR's actions.

#20 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

So it is OK for some people to introduce a non-native species into a area, running the risk that they will start doing what the animals do naturally. Breed and tear up the group. Texas looses about $50,000,000 a year in crops. Are the rest of Michigan's farmers going to be compensated by this one farmer and a small hand full of hunting ranches? Sure I have heard of Principles, and along with that comes respectability. The reality is that these Boars are not neutral on a eco-system and do not belong here. If you disagree with that I hope one day a Pest controller drops off a nice box of roof rats into your house....just so he can have the pleasure of hunting them down and charging you for that pleasure. So yes my principles tell me to keep endangered species and invasive species out of the butchers counter.

My answer would be that someone who anonymously posts attacks on others in business in which they may well have an interest is not someone I want sanctioning abusive government coercion against people that for all I know may be their competetition.

Propagandise on, brother.