Photo

Mekong Bistro

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 FoodLuvr

FoodLuvr
  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Food food food food. Lela's Bistro (www.lelasbistro.com), banh mi, Binh Minh Sandwiches, drink, drink, drink...

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

There is a new Cambodian restaurant that is near Madison High school. This is from the same people that opened up Good Call, so I know it must be great food as Good Call always had such good food. It just opened up, so I haven't had a chance to check it out. I don't see a website anywhere, but see a few reviews on yelp.

http://www.yelp.com/...bistro-portland

This is what was on their facebook: We are the only Cambodian Restaurant in the Portland metropolitan Area. We specialize in Authentic Cambodian food from somlar maju kreung to catfish and vegetible. We also serve authentic Thai food such as Pad-Thai, Pad Kee Mao, and Latt-Na.

Mekong Bistro
8200 NE Siskiyou, Portland

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,970 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Funny. I had just tweeted about this place. Was on a late-night run to Popeye's and noticed them working on the place. Snapped this to remember:

Posted Image

I noticed the other day that Good Call was closed. My one attempt to eat there was thwarted by some private rap concert. That tiny strip mall has gone through a lot of failed businesses.

I noticed that there are two yelp reviews already. They're both from first-time reviewers on a Sunday that would have been from their first day open -- if they were even open yet. The most suspicious part of those reviews?

My husband and I were out for a walk and wandered by the Mekong Bistro. I smelled something delicious in the air, so we decided to try it out for dinner.

I guess the park is there, but the only people I've ever seen out for a stroll in that neighborhood are kids from the high school or hookers.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#3 FoodLuvr

FoodLuvr
  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Food food food food. Lela's Bistro (www.lelasbistro.com), banh mi, Binh Minh Sandwiches, drink, drink, drink...

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Funny. I had just tweeted about this place. Was on a late-night run to Popeye's and noticed them working on the place. Snapped this to remember:

Posted Image

I noticed the other day that Good Call was closed. My one attempt to eat there was thwarted by some private rap concert. That tiny strip mall has gone through a lot of failed businesses.

I noticed that there are two yelp reviews already. They're both from first-time reviewers on a Sunday that would have been from their first day open -- if they were even open yet. The most suspicious part of those reviews?

My husband and I were out for a walk and wandered by the Mekong Bistro. I smelled something delicious in the air, so we decided to try it out for dinner.

I guess the park is there, but the only people I've ever seen out for a stroll in that neighborhood are kids from the high school or hookers.

That does sound kinda suspect... the only smells from 82nd are exhaust fumes and I would be scared to take a stroll along 82nd. hhaa

#4 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

I'd be interested in giving it a try. If it's as good as Sok Sab Bai, I'll be a happy camper.

#5 jennifer

jennifer
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

From their Facebook Page:

8200 NE Siskiyou Street. PDX, OR 97220
Phone: 503-265-8972.
Open 7 days a week.
Hours: 11am-2am.

We have serve authentic cuisine from Hot Pot to Frog Legs. Spicy beef noodle soup and Steak with famous Khmer prahok sauce are also on the menu. Come on in.

Lots of photos (I think of their food) in their album section on their fb page too.
https://www.facebook...44384652&type=3

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,970 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

I wonder if they'll serve the whole menu til 2am. Maybe I'll give it a try late one of these nights and see.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#7 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Posted Image

I live on Siskiyou just down the street from that park and go there 3-4 days a week with my kids, often run into neighbors there, and on decent days, the park is full of kids and families---and it's a great and diverse mix of different people---and they're usually much friendlier than, say, the hordes of spandexed soccer moms at a place like Grant park. Roseway is actually a pretty nice neighborhood.

Anyway, looking forward to trying the Mekong Grill out---certainly can't be worse than the last couple of places in that spot.

#8 redleaf

redleaf
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Posted Image

I live on Siskiyou just down the street from that park and go there 3-4 days a week with my kids, often run into neighbors there, and on decent days, the park is full of kids and families---and it's a great and diverse mix of different people---and they're usually much friendlier than, say, the hordes of spandexed soccer moms at a place like Grant park. Roseway is actually a pretty nice neighborhood.

Anyway, looking forward to trying the Mekong Grill out---certainly can't be worse than the last couple of places in that spot.

Not to be confused with Mekong Vietnamese Grill in Sellwood.

#9 m5570

m5570
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

Funny you say that, a new place just opened up on Swan Island called Tilt, and I checked their 2 reviews and found this:

I really think this restaurant is going to bring people ON to the island for lunch, not LEAVING it! The burgers are fabulous! I have had 2 burgers and a sandwich. The reuben Burger, that's right it's a sandwich on a slab of beef, is great! Fun atmosphere. Coffee, pie, good fries. Can't wait for opening day tomorrow! Going for lunch!!!!!!!

I laughed my ass off! What's funnier was the other review was written 4 days before, so obviously they're trying to drum up some business.

#10 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,848 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Why the hatin'? Hos gotta eat too. Damn.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#11 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

That little strip mall at 82nd and Siskiyou is cursed - several places have come and gone. A couple of them gave the location a pretty bad rep with late night incidents. It's going to be hard to get the folks in the neighborhood to come back.

It would be nice to have another choice in the neighborhood though. I'm out of town on an extended trip so I won't get to try it until May or June.

#12 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

I had lunch here today for my weekly outing with grandma. I shared several things with her and my brother. We had a fish soup that came in a fire pot that had a light broth with chunks of fruit and vegetables. Also had a beef and tripe soup with greens that had a rich herby broth. From the menu, I thought the beef soup would be similar to pho, but the broth was much different. I thought it was excellent. Also had a beef stir-fry with greens and long beans. Lots of interesting flavors in the sauce. Shrimp paste maybe? I wish I had the menu with me so I could write their actual descriptions. My knowledge of Cambodian cuisine is virtually nil, so I don't have more than one or two meals from a cart to which I can compare. That said, each of the items was quite enjoyable with large portions, and I'd be happy to return. Menu is sizable, with over 70 items. They are still waiting on their liquor license. I wish them all the best.

#13 doglover

doglover

Just another Portland foodie

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:I'm a marketing geek who loves to travel, share a great bottle of wine with friends, and who is always on the lookout for a great new restaurant. St. Jack anyone?

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

We had dinner there tonight. Ordered way more than we could eat since we wanted to sample a few different dishes based on staff recommendations... we have at least 2 meals waiting for us tomorrow.

Pictures posted on foodspotting. Mekong Bistro on Foodspotting

I really loved the Cambodian version of lemongrass chicken Cha Kreoung. My favorite of the meal. Everything was good the Cha Kreoung makes it worth the drive from Beaverton. We tried 2 different soups including Somlaw Maiu Kreoung which is really good. It's a sour soup that really surprised.

The owner says this is the only Cambodian restaurant in Oregon. The liquor license is a few weeks away. Hoping they stock Beer Lao Dark.

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,970 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Finally made it in one afternoon for lunch with my wife.

I'm not going to type up the menu. It's huge. And unfortunately, someone dhtmasturbateld all over their website, and the menu there is rather useless.

We got: the beef jerky, the quail, green papaya salad, ah mok, and som law maju kreung.

Posted Image

The jerky came as, what I believe were, fried pieces of flank, relatively juicy inside and crisp outside, but chewy from being cut with the grain. I assume that's intentional here. I liked the flavor and the side of lime juice with black pepper, which went really nice with the beef.

Posted Image

The quail were delicious. They were cooked well, crisp, well-seasoned, not dry. But it was really about the complex, tart, funky sauce on the side. One of the better dipping sauces I've had in a while. Loved it.

Posted Image

The one dish I really didn't care for was the green papaya salad. I think the lime juice might have been more bitter than bright. The papaya wasn't very crisp and the balance of flavors was just off. They asked how spicy and I said to just do it however it should be, and admittedly, it was damn spicy, the way I've had it in Thailand.

Posted Image

The som law maju kreung, the sour soup with "watercress", was quite tasty. It didn't have the depth that some of the Thai restaurants have, but it was very nicely balanced and very addictive. This one came with pork rib, most of which was very tender.

Posted Image

My wife got the ah mok, basically a coconut milk and curry tamal that I've had in Thailand and Thai restaurants. I only had a couple bites, but I thought it was pretty good. It perhaps lacked some of the "fresh" flavor of some that I've had, but my wife enjoyed it quite a bit. I think the sauce on the side was the same as the quail.

Good meal overall. Our waitress was new and the bartender/manager kept coming over unnecessarily and being a bit overly "helpful", both with us and the server. Might be a good place to watch a game. I think my wife counted more than a dozen screens in the main dining room.

#15 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Wow. Thanks for posting these notes and pics MSG! I'm more interested than ever now. For quail alone! And frog! It's kinda far out for me, but will go soon if not today. My kind of place

Possibly add prices if you recall? Just on items you tried
breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

#16 deensiebat

deensiebat
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Went the other night with a friend, and we split the ahmok and the salmon salad. I really liked the ahmok, and loved the salmon salad — it's plea, Cambodia's take on ceviche. The salmon is butter-soft, and it's got a spicy chili paste, some fresh lemongrass, cilantro, lettuce and cucumbers. Perfect for a hot day. I'm trying to wrangle the recipe out of them right now...

#17 ELH

ELH
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

Stopped here for lunch yesterday and got beef jerky, Ah Mok, and kao-soi.  It was all great, but I'm no expert on the cuisine, so I won't try to describe it other than to say that the flavors were fresh and bright, and that the chili in the kao-soi was at the perfect level of hotness for my taste (enough to make me sweat, but not enough to overpower the other flavors).  What really struck me was the service - hands down the best I've had in Portland in a long time.  Attentive, friendly, and helpful without being overbearing.  We had a gift certificate that we didn't quite use up, and the server had extra food prepared for us to take home, so we wouldn't lose out on the value of the certificate.  We will be back, for sure.

#18 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,970 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

Haven't posted in forever.  This is a semi-regular late-night stop for me and a regular stop for Pablo.  I think the Cambodian soups on the menu are some of the best soups in town.  The menu is uniformly solid.  I feel like service is a bit too attentive, but YMMV.

#19 apetickler

apetickler
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

They just announced on Facebook this morning that they’re opening a new location at 22291 NW Imbrie Drive in Hillsboro.

Also, this is one of my favorite places in town.

I can never resist ordering the fried quail; it’s too much fun to be able to straight-up eat the bones. I’ve even tried doing it at home a couple of times, and the technique turns out to be pretty easy.

I think my favorite thing on the menu is the somlaw machu. I’m a sucker for a nice meaty soup, and I could happily eat this one every day.

But more important than any of that is that ever since the very first time I came in, they’ve always treated me very warmly, and I can see the same warmth going into the food and everything else about the business. This place is a real labor of love.

#20 jennifer

jennifer
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

This is BIG news for everyone on this end of town.  Thanks for posting about it!

They just announced on Facebook this morning that they’re opening a new location at 22291 NW Imbrie Drive in Hillsboro.