Photo

Bowery Bagels (new from KitchenCru)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

Michael Madigan is going to open Bowery Bagels on NW Broadway this Spring. The article says the bagels are inspired by Glendale Bakery.

Madigan hopes to cater to Portland's "population of firm believers who want to eat things produced locally" by making nearly everything at his Bowery Bagels in house.

"Anything that we're serving on the bagel we want to make here," he says. "All the schmears, smoking salmon in the kitchen, roasting our own beef, turkey, chicken, making our own corned beef and pastrami. I really want this to be taking that local food chain to the maximum degree possible."

Full article here, along with a sidebar listing of where to get your bagel fix:
http://www.oregonliv...re_filling.html

There's references in the article to Spielman's, Kettelman's, Noah's/Einstein's, and even My Favorite Muffin. But zero mention of Kenny and Zukes, which I think is a gross omission for an article on bagels and house made deli food in Portland.

#2 ibgpdx

ibgpdx
  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Jennifer! Look forward to checking them out.

#3 austinhaas

austinhaas
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Posted Image

Here's a visual aid. This is the salt and pepper bagel that KitchenCru was giving away for free this morning.

I thought it was delicious.

#4 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

There's references in the article to Spielman's, Kettelman's, Noah's/Einstein's, and even My Favorite Muffin. But zero mention of Kenny and Zukes, which I think is a gross omission for an article on bagels and house made deli food in Portland.

I wonder if that is because of the endless trolling and accusations of bias that would occur if the mentioned K&Z now that Ken is a regular contributer. Never mind that those accusations would be ridiculous, they would happen nonetheless.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#5 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

Here's a visual aid. This is the salt and pepper bagel that KitchenCru was giving away for free this morning.

I thought it was delicious.

Seconded. I got an everything bagel that was steaming when they cut it open.

Bliss.

#6 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

It does look good, but it doesn't look better than the Spielman's bagel I had on Saturday...which was delicious.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,033 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Bliss.

Hmm, this makes me uncomfortable. Generally, if a bread is good right out of the oven, after it sits it will be dry. Most breads should rest until they least come to room temp, much like custards, to allow them to fully "set". Sourdoughs can also develop a lot more flavor while resting. Not sure if they're using a sourdough or not. Though perhaps they are re-heating.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#8 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

Bliss.

Hmm, this makes me uncomfortable. Generally, if a bread is good right out of the oven, after it sits it will be dry. Most breads should rest until they least come to room temp, much like custards, to allow them to fully "set". Sourdoughs can also develop a lot more flavor while resting. Not sure if they're using a sourdough or not. Though perhaps they are re-heating.

Not reheating. Some of the flavors had recently come out of the oven when it was our turn to order. Seemed like they were making them as fast as they were selling them. We also got a half-dozen of mixed flavors (toppings, rather), and only one of them was warm.

I froze the half-dozen later that day, so I can't say whether they were dry inside once they were room temp.

#9 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,590 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

None of our dozen were dry, but then again my husband picked them up and ran a couple of errands before coming home, so I can't say whether any were right out of the oven.

I'm not all that fond of the truffle oil and salt bagel, but that's just personal preference. Otherwise, I think what they are producing is perfect and I expect we'll become regulars when they open. I just love the texture, the chewiness, of their bagels!

#10 PDXBigMan

PDXBigMan
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

Thanks to everyone who came out on a rainy Saturday, and for taking the time to comment.

I agree 100% with Nick, it is always best to cool any bread product to give the gel a chance to set. We baked all 540 bagels on Saturday morning beginning at 9am. We ended up baking about 10 dozen after we opened the doors, because we ran out of certain toppings more quickly than anticipated. As a result, we served some that were a few degrees warmer than they usually would be, cooled for only about 10 minutes after we took them out of the oven. I think we waited long enough to avoid any gumminess, though.

Angelhair: I have mixed feelings about the salt bagel with truffle oil, but believe it or not, that has been one of the best sellers in each of our past two popups.

We will continue to finagle the bagel and improve as much as we can prior to opening.

Michael

#11 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

I picked up 2 of each kind on their first pop-up and they weren't dry inside. We also had them at dinner time and they weren't dry at the end of the day either.

Here were my notes from the first bagel feed: http://portlandfood....post__p__156357

#12 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

Michael - I would like to make one suggestion if you continue with the truffle oil bagel. It would be great if you could bag those bagels separate from the other bagels because the truffle oil got all over the other bagels in the bag.

We liked the truffle oil & salt bagel with plain cream cheese. But this would be more of an eat-at-home item, as it's quite messy with the oil getting all over our hands.

#13 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,590 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

You know what's curious about the truffle oil? It acts like a kind of preserver. What I mean is that out of the dozen, they were our least favorite so they were the last ones we ate (and they were a couple of days old by the end). But the oil somehow prevented them from drying out.

#14 PDXBigMan

PDXBigMan
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Michael - I would like to make one suggestion if you continue with the truffle oil bagel. It would be great if you could bag those bagels separate from the other bagels because the truffle oil got all over the other bagels in the bag.

We liked the truffle oil & salt bagel with plain cream cheese. But this would be more of an eat-at-home item, as it's quite messy with the oil getting all over our hands.

Good recommendation. We will start doing that. Thanks!

#15 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Picked up a half-dozen still warm bagels a few minutes after they opened. These are good, very very good. The salt & pepper bagel had the perfect amount of salt, and the sesame seeds did a much better job at sticking to the bagels this time.

The other two slight differences/improvements I noticed were that the bagels now have a bit more chew to them, which is appreciated, and there's a slight yeasty-fermented taste that I enjoy in a bagel.

I'll have to go back to Spielman's for a side-by-side test at some point, but these are very good. I can't compare them to Kenny & Zukes because that's an entirely different kind of bagel and I don't think comparisons would be fair. I really love K&Z bagels as much as I love Spielman's bagels, it just depends which kind I'm in the mood for, and whether I feel like driving an extra 15 minutes to SE. Add in these KCru/Bowery bagels, and that makes the Top 3 list in Portland for me.

#16 PDXBigMan

PDXBigMan
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

Thanks Jennifer. We're very happy with the tweaks we have been making each week, really trying to zero in on perfection in time for our shop opening.

Please introduce yourself next time you're in, would love to meet you.

Michael

#17 anotherdavid

anotherdavid
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

Really enjoyed the miso soy ginger bagel; wonderful flavor.
Hope you'll have onion bagels in a more regular rotation. Any plans for a cinammon raisin bagel?

#18 PDXBigMan

PDXBigMan
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Really enjoyed the miso soy ginger bagel; wonderful flavor.
Hope you'll have onion bagels in a more regular rotation. Any plans for a cinammon raisin bagel?

We should have onion in the rotation for good, this Saturday or next, at the latest.

Cinnamon raisin on our Distant Early Warning radar.

Michael

#19 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,033 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Had the bagels for the first time today. A friend had extra when he stopped in. The crust wasn't as good as what I had seen in the pictures, but it was fine. I was really disappointed with the flavor and the crumb, though. I just had the plain. It tasted like French bread loaves that are made in-house in grocery stores. It didn't have the full flavor of a bread from a place like Ken's and it lacked the maltiness of K&Z or the tangy sourdough of K&Z or Spielman. Texture was weird, too. It was crumbly and dense rather than stretchy or chewy. It reminded me of a denser Thomas English muffin, actually.

Not sure if this bagel was representative, but I liked the one I had less than Spielman, Tastebud, or K&Z, pretty significantly less. I might even slightly prefer Safeway and the old Kettleman. Still a huge step up from Noah's.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#20 anotherdavid

anotherdavid
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

I think you got a counterfeit Bowery Bagel cuz your reaction is about 180 degrees from mine or anybody else who's commented.