Photo

Taste of the Nation 2012

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Zuke! I really like that new camera a lot - thanks for the rec. I did a bit of cropping, but otherwise those photos are untouched.

OK folks, there is still time to get tickets...and you should! It's an event that seriously puts the FUN in FUNdraiser.

There are too many hungry people in Oregon, too many kids who don't know where their next meal is coming from. Skip a couple of dinners out in the next couple of weeks and buy a ticket or two.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#22 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

I really want to, but now I might have a scheduling conflict. Grr!

#23 ducky

ducky
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm planning on going. Haven't been out much in ages so it will be nice to get out and see a few of my peeps!
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#24 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

This is gonna happen one week from today! Get your tickets...and yes, the VIP and Luxe tickets ARE worth it. Yes, they are expensive, but this is a big charity fundraiser!

While you may not know where you are going to eat your next meal (so many restaurants to choose from!), at least you know you will be having one. Lots of other folks in OR are not so lucky. It's just not right that in a area with a lot of restaurants, farms, artisan food/drink crafters & purveyors - so many folks are hungry, especially children.

Surely you can splurge on an evening out, one that you will certainly enjoy, and help raise money to feed those that need your help. Yes you can!

Go for it: http://ce.strength.o...ion-portland-or

#25 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

I'm so looking forward to this. It will be interesting to see how they do this in the soccer stadium.

Best regards,

Amanda

#26 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

Tomorrow night is nearly upon us and I can't wait! Taste of the Nation. My favorite function of the year.

Best regards,

Amanda

#27 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

...and tickets ARE still available if you don't have yours yet. You can also get them at the event, if you want to pay at the door.

Please help raise funds to feed those that are hungry in Oregon! (and have one helluva time doing it!!)

#28 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

...and tickets ARE still available if you don't have yours yet. You can also get them at the event, if you want to pay at the door.

Please help raise funds to feed those that are hungry in Oregon! (and have one helluva time doing it!!)

Tickets will be available at the door on Tuesday starting at 2pm tomorrow. Online ticket sales end at 11:59 tonight.

Mayor Adams has declared tomorrow NO KID HUNGRY DAY for Portland. I encourage all of you to take 90 seconds to take the pledge tomorrow at NoKidHungry.org. then spread the word on Twitter and Facebook (hashtag #nokidhungry).

The hashtag for tomorrow night's event is #portlandtaste. Be sure to tweet what you eat. All of the restaurants and beverage companies that have Twitter accounts should be wearing name tags that indicate their account name. Give these fine folks some love - they are donating food, time and labor (as well as great items for the auction, GCs for restaurant roulette and wall of wine) to be a part of this event to help end childhood hunger.

I hope to see you all tomorrow night!
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#29 boy_asunder

boy_asunder
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

We'll be there tonight as well. We got VIP tix, but now that I've read this, y'all are making me wonder if I should've gone all the way!

#30 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

Just got back from TOTN 2012 and thought I'd share a few highlights. I'll do a followup with more pix a little later - I'm bushed at the moment.

Posted Image
Boke Bowl's steam buns

Posted Image
Gruner's foie torchon with rhubarb

Posted Image
New Seasons's morels (as big as I've ever seen)

Posted Image
Oven and Shaker's tiny meatball sandwiches

Posted Image
Feastworks' sausage bite with arugula aioli

Posted Image
Genoa's duck breast on risotto cake

Posted Image
Joel Palmer House's candy cap mushroom dessert soup

Posted Image
Hot Dogs, Nachos, Soda, Pretzels, etc. Just kidding.

Posted Image
Wildwood's panna cotta

Posted Image
Saint Cupcake's sea salted caramel brownies

Posted Image
Ruth Chris' carving station

Posted Image
Bamboo Sushi's albacore carpaccio with red jalapeno and caviar

Posted Image
Clyde Common's spring onion soup - and this one was the winner for me. I tried almost everything (except the desserts - too many for one man, sorry). And I came across the Clyde Common table toward the end of the evening. It was a shot of pure deliciousness. Never mind that I'm a sucker for anything onion. This was awesome, with an assertive flavor, great texture, and perfect seasoning.

More to come.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#31 jennifer

jennifer
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

What a night! Am completely overwhelmed, Portland restaurants brought it tonight. I love this town! Last year I think I said it was the year of charcuterie for Taste of the Nation. This year I'm declaring it the year of rhubarb. It showed up everywhere and in everything sweet, savory and in between. I'm a fan.

Some quick preview shots below, and much more tomorrow. It's late, and I've had much too much wine to post responsibly.

The Venue:
Jeld-Wen Field. Taste of the Nation occupied the entrance to the stadium and the inner hallway. It was packed. REALLY packed.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The GEM restaurants:

Aviary: Fried Pig Snout with Pickled Fennel, Hard Boiled Egg & Mustard Creme Fraiche
Posted Image

Bamboo Sushi: Amberjack Carpaccio with Red Jalapeno, Cilantro, Black Flying Fish Caviar and a Miso vinaigrette
Posted Image
Posted Image

Boke Bowl: Asian Steam Buns and Edamame Rice Cakes with Housemade Kimchi
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gruner: Foie Gras Torchon, Toasted Brioche, Reisling Pickled Rhubarb (my #1 favorite bite of the night!)
Posted Image

Ned Ludd: Rabbit Confit with Peas and Carrots and Rich Sauce
Posted Image

Olympic Provisions: Meat here!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 jennifer

jennifer
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

My Top 5 bites of the night were:

1. Gruner: Fois Gras Torchon (above)

2. Genoa: Seared Duck Breast on an Herb Risotto Cake with Rhubarb Mostarda. We tried this bite early in the evening and the duck was freshly seared and crisp on the outside. Great balance of flavors and textures.
Posted Image

3. Crown Paella: Spanish octopus a la Gallega. Most tender octopus I’ve ever had.
Posted Image

4. Wildwood: Bay leaf panna cotta with rhubarb and lemon curd. Best palette cleanser of the night.
Posted Image
Posted Image

5. Joel Palmer House: Candy Cap mushroom dessert soup. They could bottle and sell this stuff! I had 3 of them.
Posted Image

Speaking of Joel Palmer House, I was blown away by the flavors they were able to create in these soups:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And their palette cleanser:
Posted Image

Chop’s Charcuterie board was killer. Obligatory action shot below of Eric torching some lardo. Nice touch! They served this simply over some fig jam on crostini. Duck prosciutto, duck rillette, bresaola wrapped around dressed arugula and more.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 jennifer

jennifer
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

Those outside the stadium waiting to get in weren’t suffering. Oregon Ice Works, Violetta, Tastebud and Feastworks were fine distractions from the long line.

Oregon Ice Works: Strawberry-rhubarb, and coconut. Both outstanding!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Feastworks had a grill going outside with a Basque style chorizo and pinwheels of pork sausage with parsley and cheese. These went on foccacia and were topped with a bright and acidic salsa verde.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Feastworks was also keeping Bunk’s brisket smoky and warm for them:
Posted Image

Tastebud brought the oven:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Inside madness:

House Spirits mixing, weighing, muddling, zesting and more, in fine Portlandia style.
Posted Image

Accanto: Pillowy beignet-style freshly fried doughnuts dredged in meyer lemon curd, oh my. And tripe alla Romagna on polenta crostini.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Andina:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 jennifer

jennifer
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

Circa 33: Mushroom Forest
Posted Image

Ruby Jewel: Salted caramel & chocolate cook ice cream sandwich
Posted Image
Posted Image

Departure: Gregory Gourdet and crew steaming up some fine tasting honey chicken buns with dried chili, ginger and scallion.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ruth’s Chris: tenderloin carving station with 2 horseradish sauces.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Charlie’s Produce (I also saw a sign that said Lamb’s Thriftway on this gorgeous display):
Posted Image
Posted Image

New Seasons:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Beaker & Flask: Pork Cheek Pastrami, Pea Puree & Pickles
Posted Image

Brasserie Montmarte: Poached Local Salmon Rillette with butter, shallot, crème fraiche, lemon & chives
Posted Image

#35 jennifer

jennifer
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Bunk: Chef Tommy Habetz professing his love for Country music and brisket.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cocotte: Smoked Fish Salad with Savory Beignet & Preserved Lemon
Posted Image

Clyde Common: Spring Onion Soup
Posted Image

Davis Street Tavern: BBQ Glazed Pork Riblets & Spicy Slaw, Buttercotch pudding with Lemon Cream
Posted Image
Posted Image

Double Dragon: Pulled Pork Banh Mi Canapes
Posted Image
Posted Image

Fratelli: Chilled Asparagus Soup
Posted Image

Xocolatl de David: David Briggs working on his Chocolate Rhubarb soda, and a fine plate of Brown Butter Chocolate.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 jennifer

jennifer
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

June:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jamison: photo of the old barn door that will be broken down and used as décor in the new space.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Irving Street Kitchen: Potato Latke with Salmon Gravlax, Apple Butter & Herbed Crème Fraiche
Posted Image

Oven & Shaker: Meatball Sandwich
Posted Image

Otto: Chicken Tartine, and Egg Cake
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pine State Biscuits: Mini Reggies
Posted Image
Posted Image

Smokehouse 21:
Posted Image

St Honore
Posted Image

The Painted Lady: Smoked Salmon Mouse on Parmesan Shortbread, and Irish Chocolate Stout Cake
Posted Image

Ate oh Ate: Ben Dyer with a killer Kalua Pig Lunch Plate
Posted Image

#37 jennifer

jennifer
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Celilo: Cured Salmon Roe, Pickled Vegetables, Lavash Crackers
Posted Image
Posted Image

Miss Zumstein: Meringue Berry Bites
Posted Image

Urban Farmer: Steakhouse Jerkey, Beef Tartare, Fired Caperberries
Posted Image

Oregon Food Bank: Highlighting education programs
Posted Image

Some of the Silent Auction prizes:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Restaurant Roulette: $25/spin, guaranteed to win at least a $25 gift cert to one of the restaurants at the event. The people in front of me took 2 spins, and won $100 gift cert to Ringside Fish house, and a $50 gift cert to Beaker & Flask.
Posted Image

MIX Magazine was at the entry for wine glass pickup, and magazine pickup when leaving.
Posted Image

Pit stop before heading home:
Posted Image

And in case anyone isn't sure why this is called the Sunset Highway:
Posted Image

#38 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

Great roundup, Jennifer! Thanks!

#39 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

Awesome Jennifer! Thanks!!

There's not much I think I can add, but I'll go through my pics and see if there's something worth adding to your wonderful group of pics!

It was a night of excess, to be sure. The Gems (both the restaurants and the wines) available only to those who bought the VIP and Luxe Tickets, IMO, were worth it. The pig snout from Aviary, foie gras torchon from Gruner and Aalbacore carpaccio from Bamboo were particularly delicious and a very generous donation from those restaurants. Sineann, Owen Roe, and Bergstrom were pouring for the Gems and, IMO, those wines were very nice.

It was a great event, but as proven by years past at the Convention Center, a hallway is not a great space to have tables on either side with people stopping to eat/drink/chat. And after around 6/6:30, it was really crowded. A Luxe and/or VIP ticket was almost necessary to truly enjoy the event. I urge the organizers to try and find large open rooms to hold this event in - I was not a huge fan of the venue. What it did have going for it, though, was that it was mostly open to the outside so it never got too hot or felt completely claustrophobic...just crowded.

And Jennifer, I cannot believe you went for ice cream afterward...wow. ;o)

#40 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,577 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

My favorite bite of the night was Gruner's foie torchon with rhubarb. All tolled by the end of the night I had eaten four of them!

I also like Pine State's mini Reggie skewers and Clyde's soup.