• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Announced on FD's site: http://www.portlandf...ntain-for-sale/

From the announcement by Jeffrey Reiter, owner:

I would like to take some time to rest and develop some future ideas.I am passing the torch, is it your turn?

Blueplateʼs space is the best “turn key” opportunity downtown and I would like to leave it in the hands of a competent professional. If you have been thinking of heading out on your own, please consider this little space.

Until I find someone to take over, Blueplate will be open as usual. If you are interested in setting up in the Dekum Building just come on in, belly up to the counter and we can talk.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

And here he is a year later, whining about his situation on Facebook:

Hello everyone. I am writing this post as a last resort. When I opened Blueplate I thought it would be the greatest thing I would ever do. All I wanted was to provide a place for the downtown office community. A place they could call there own and embrace as an escape from work.

Over the past three years the customer count has dropped below that of our opening months. I don't know why...ma...
ybe food carts...maybe you all have way to many P.T.O. days...maybe I have offended someone without being aware. I just don't know.

I have lost my wife, my home, my past and my future all for the customers that have vanished from this great restaurant. I can't help but feel hurt and betrayed. Every night I hold my child (Blueplate) in my hands and watch it slowly die. Bleeding, choking, begging for a chance to live. It cries out and wonders why you all have turned your backs on it. I can not help it without you.

Your lack of presence is not only hurting me. It hurts my employees when I have to pay them late. It hurts my landlord who has so graciously extended me a great deal of room with rent payments, it hurts the phone company and the garbage haulers that get payed late, it hurts the other restaurants and business's in town that I simply can not support because I have no income of my own.

A line at the door is no excuse. I can not break even without a line at the door. Please just wait in line like adults.

Food carts are no excuse. They are unsafe, illegal, slow, and not that good anyway.

Your P.T.O is no excuse. Take your day off downtown and throw some extra cash around.

Please come back to Blueplate. If Blueplate fails this Spring, I will be homeless, without a job, and have NO money at all.

Please come back to Blueplate. Please.

-Jeffery Reiter
Chef/ Owner
Blueplate lunch counter and soda fountain

#3 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

And, when some folks posted in reponse that he is coming off badly, and berating his potential customers for his lousy decision-making is a lousy tactic, this is his response:

Thank you to all who posted back, even you Mr. Perkins. I did not intend to insult anyone.

My intention was to be honest and tell the truth. Something that is rare in the world today. Business is not good and I do not have the money to advertise. I was curious if anyone on the internet was really paying attention. I bore my sole and begged for customers. I am surprised that some people to t...
he opportunity to be strait up mean. When someone bares soul, the right thing to do is feel empathy not insult them.

Yes, Blueplate's hours are limiting. We served dinner for a year and a half. People were not interested and I decided to refocus on lunch and expanded the menu at request of regular customers. Only so long you can throw money at dinner if it is not the right thing for the restaurant. I do not expect folks who do not live in Oregon or work outside of downtown to make a special trip. I opened the place for those who work downtown. That was my choice. I am sorry that we are not financially able to provide more service hours.

I did not blame anyone and even suggested that I might have done something wrong. I was clear that I did not know why business is off. I offered a few ideas of what might have affected Blueplate's business as to make the office workers of downtown Portland realize the effects of "an extra day off" on the rest of the community. The first floor of downtown Portland is dependent on everyone that works above us in the buildings. We all need those workers, when they don't work we can't do business.

We now have more carts than brick and mortar food outlets downtown. I just wanted to make sure that everyone was aware that the future might include a downtown full of carts and no restaurants for the common person. As far as the legality of the carts. The Health code is quite clear. They are against the rules that were already lightened up for them. Sorry, but TRUE.

Thank you and I hope to see you soon for some sliders.

Jeffery Reiter
Blueplate

Wow.  I get that this venture is really important to you Mr Reiter, but you cannot possibly expect it to be as important to anyone else. And if you have chosen this failing business over everything else that might have been important to you in your life, instead of making a difficult decision to close what is clearly a failing business venture (and has been for well over a year) and salvage what you could to start your next chapter in life, well, that's too bad (and it really is) but it really isn't anyone's fault but your own.

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,032 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

The first one is off-putting, to say the least, but I find nothing wrong with the second. I'm not going to judge the guy too harshly, though. You put everything of yourself into a business.  Its failure can take everything out of you -- financially and otherwise.  I will add, though, somewhat in his defense -- at least conceptually -- that while ultimately the restaurant owner/chef has to accept that lack of customers is his fault -- whether because of poor product, product that doesn't meet customer demand, location, service, prices, marketing, whatever -- sometimes blame should be laid, at least a little, at the customer pool's feet.  Think about your favorite places that have disappeared for lack of customers.  I can think of many that have come and gone in Portland, eg, that made delicious food.  I blame a customer base that will wait an hour at Olive Garden or flock to a trendy place with mediocre food.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#5 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

He's had good press and a spot on Diners, Dives and Drive Ins. It must be frustrating, but it's hard to watch a guy publicly self destruct and it doesn't inspire me to make the effort to go there. 

#6 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

Kind of sad, because the place doesn't suck at all.

A lunch spot in B&M downtown is a tough business...   I bet he'd do much better up on Alberta or Mississippi with the whole soda fountain thing.

#7 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

This is terrible, I love Blueplate. But I'm part of the problem; I won't go there for lunch unless I can get there by 11:30 or so, to avoid waiting in line. I'll have to call and ask if they do takeout; it would be great food to take down to Waterfront Park.