Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#2 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

i am always astounded when i look at receipts at the end of the night how many people can't fill in the 'tip' field and go right to the 'total' field. math is not portland's strong suit, i guess.
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#3 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

i am always astounded when i look at receipts at the end of the night how many people can't fill in the 'tip' field and go right to the 'total' field. math is not portland's strong suit, i guess.

I do it all the time...because I prefer to tip in cash whenever possible.

I do wonder if those going through receipts think I don't tip. Ultimately I deceided that I didn't care as the tip should not be about people thinking I tip well, but a thank you for the good service I have had. Occasionally I will write in "cash" on the tip line, but I don't always do it...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#4 JayinPortland

JayinPortland
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

I do it all the time...because I prefer to tip in cash whenever possible.

I do wonder if those going through receipts think I don't tip. Ultimately I deceided that I didn't care as the tip should not be about people thinking I tip well, but a thank you for the good service I have had. Occasionally I will write in "cash" on the tip line, but I don't always do it...

Oh wow, I never considered that. I always tip cash, and draw the little dash / strike through the tip field. Well, on the rare occasions I do eat out these days. Usually it's at the bar across the street though, where they all know and love me (heh), so I'm not too worried about that there, at least. ;)

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,057 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

I just put a line through it when I tip cash. I figure it's just vain if I write in "cash". I see it all the time, though. I guess someone could be letting the people know that they liked their service, but I think it's usually for a person's own sense of shame.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#6 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

I do wonder if those going through receipts think I don't tip.

I always wonder this too. If I'm leaving a cash tip, I put a line through the tip line, but I always wonder if someone thinks I didn't tip. And then there's the whole bakery / pastry shop places where I might run in & pick up a baguette & pastry from wherever and hand them a debit card. I write a tip on the tip line because I feel obligated, but wonder if I'm supposed to or not. And if I stuff a dollar or two in the tip jar at a coffee house, and no one saw me do it, does that mean they think I'm a cheap bastard? Tipping etiquette can sometimes be difficult to navigate for the neurotic.

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,057 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

Lessons in vanity from the scripture of our time -- no, not The Simpsons, Seinfeld:

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#8 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

I do wonder if those going through receipts think I don't tip.

I always wonder this too. If I'm leaving a cash tip, I put a line through the tip line, but I always wonder if someone thinks I didn't tip. And then there's the whole bakery / pastry shop places where I might run in & pick up a baguette & pastry from wherever and hand them a debit card. I write a tip on the tip line because I feel obligated, but wonder if I'm supposed to or not. And if I stuff a dollar or two in the tip jar at a coffee house, and no one saw me do it, does that mean they think I'm a cheap bastard? Tipping etiquette can sometimes be difficult to navigate for the neurotic.

I refuse to be guilted into tipping when someone is just putting something in a bag for me and there's no self-service. If they go above and beyond, perhaps, and maybe if they are the ones making a sandwich or a coffee drink that I am buying...but if it is just putting x ina bag or just taking my money, that is not a tipping situation IMO, regardless of whether it is a jar or a debit slip.

#9 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,601 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

Tipping really is stupid. We are a stupid society. Just either charge a service fee or do not.

The concept of tipping has completely lost the narrative when the Plaid Pantry has a tip jar at the counter.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#10 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

I just put a line through it when I tip cash. I figure it's just vain if I write in "cash". I see it all the time, though. I guess someone could be letting the people know that they liked their service, but I think it's usually for a person's own sense of shame.

It's actually a good tool to let the server know there was a tip... you know.. in case someone who wasn't your server cleared the table and has sticky fingers. I worked at a place in my youth where many of my cash tips ended up in someone else's pocket.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#11 rewdpost

rewdpost
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

Maybe a question for the restaurant owners/workers, but does it really matter? Is it more work for the person processing the receipts or does it all just get handled by the POS system anyway?
My impression was that the system is just going to break it all out at the end of the day anyway so regardless of if I enter the number specifically as a tip or just roll it all together the end result is the same for everyone involved.

#12 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,057 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

It's actually a good tool to let the server know there was a tip... you know.. in case someone who wasn't your server cleared the table and has sticky fingers. I worked at a place in my youth where many of my cash tips ended up in someone else's pocket.

Good point.

My impression was that the system is just going to break it all out at the end of the day anyway so regardless of if I enter the number specifically as a tip or just roll it all together the end result is the same for everyone involved.

The POS we use requires you to enter the number for the tip, then it calculates the total charge based on that. It's smart to do both because often it's difficult to read and you might end up with an $8 tip instead of a $3 tip.

#13 HamSa

HamSa
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:29 AM

Tipping really is stupid. We are a stupid society. Just either charge a service fee or do not.

The concept of tipping has completely lost the narrative when the Plaid Pantry has a tip jar at the counter.

AGREED!
My resolution in 2012 is to stop tipping regardless of the quality of service.

#14 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

Tipping really is stupid. We are a stupid society.

Tipping is the only thing that makes sense. Merit-based pay.
I can't even begin to understand why someone would not want the option to reward the exceptional.

There is a reason why service is so fucking crappy where tipping is not customary- because they get paid just as much for *not* bringing you another drink as they do for bringing you a drink.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#15 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

I can't even begin to understand why someone would not want the option to reward the exceptional.

There is a reason why service is so fucking crappy where tipping is not customary- because they get paid just as much for *not* bringing you another drink as they do for bringing you a drink.

I get plenty of great service from people who do not work for tips. And plenty of awful service from people who do.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#16 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

It's interesting to me how there are so many different views on this. And not just in regard to restaurants.

I get to the massage therapist occasionally, mostly because it is covered by my insurance (I have a sweet alternative health rider), and it only costs me a co-pay for 12 massages per year. But I still tip her in addition to the co-pay. I know lots of folks who never tip for services like these (personal services like haircuts, etc.), and while I don't necessarily think it is wrong, I'd feel weird not tipping for a massage or a haircut.

I tip my movers (cash for each guy on the crew) and always offer them soft drinks while they are moving my stuff. I gift the folks who keep my apartment building clean and manage the building every holiday season, which is like a tip.

An ex of mine used to bristle at this behavior, claiming that tipping someone for doing their job was ridiculous. I don't think it is, especially if they take good care of you and make it a point about caring about the work they do...

#17 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

..... especially if they take good care of you and make it a point about caring about the work they do...

And I frequent often and tip more heavily at places "where everyone knows your name"...cheers!

#18 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

I get plenty of great service from people who do not work for tips. And plenty of awful service from people who do.

Well, I've had precisely the opposite experience and not just as a customer but as an employer. I see no reason why how much one makes shouldn't be tied to how well they do their job.

#19 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

So where is the line drawn? Tips only for people that use their hands and do work deemed dignified? But no tips for people who, say, use a computer? No tips for people who work in certain industries? Who decides upon this arbitrary demarcation between tipping and not tipping?

I am supposed to tip the pizza delivery guy but not the Fed Ex guy? Why?

#20 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Well, I've had precisely the opposite experience and not just as a customer but as an employer. I see no reason why how much one makes shouldn't be tied to how well they do their job.

Recently I ordered room service in San Francisco - $5 delivery fee and 20% service charge tacked onto the bill. The guy came up and knocked on my door - I expected to just grab his tray, but he insisted on coming in. He wheeled the cart in, set it up in front of the television, fluffed the pillows on the couch, poured water, poured coffee, unfurled the napkin-wrapped silverware, put the napkin on my lap, asked if he could turn on the TV for me and asked what channel I'd like. It was very uncomfortable, but I guess this is what they call "good service." This was for a bowl of soup and a cobb salad.

Later a party of four of us spent $300 on a meal at Slanted Door and had to wait 15 minutes for a refill of white rice, by which time our food was cold. This rice, by the way, we spent $16 a la carte ($2 per person, per table) and it was overcooked.

Same tip. Just give me the service charge already.