• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

I really don't like most veggies much. And the healthier they are for you, well probably the less I like them. However, I watched a great TED lecture this morning and it inspired me to try to learn to like Kale. So if any of you have any great Kale recipes (and they don't have to be vegan or vegetarian), I am all ears. Meanwhile I am googling for ideas too.

#2 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

Low calorie it ain't, but the miso-creamed kale at Wafu is outrageously good: http://www.oregonliv..._from_wafu.html

#3 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

Quick and Easy:

dump a few cups of chicken broth in pan. Add kale, salt, pepper. Simmer covered to wilt, then uncovered to cook down. Let it cook down until maybe a half cup of liquid is left. In second pan, sautee TJ's frozen corn in browned butter (fresh corn in summer time). Toss in with kale at the end. Tastes way better than it has any right to be.

Alternate: sautee a bit of leftover ham, pancetta, bacon, whatever in a pan with a little olive oil. Dump chicken broth on top of that, add the kale, simmer & cook down.

Make sausage/kale soup: Brown 1 chopped onion in olive oil, add sweet italian sausage (or italian chicken sausage if you're trying to go low fat), salt/pepper, box of chicken broth + a glug of white wine, can of cannellini beans and 1 bunch of kale. Simmer 20 min.

Pasta: kale, italian sausage, onion, broth, parm reg.

This recipe for Broiled Salmon with Kale, Bean and Bacon ragout is GREAT!

#4 pyrofemme

pyrofemme
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure you've come across kale chips in your search online. They are worth a try. Not a substitute for potato chips but a different alternative and much healthier.

#5 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Good one Pyrofemme! Anne Burrell made these kale chips on her show not too long ago.

http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

#6 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

I love this recipe... Brown Butter Creamed Winter Greens with BACON! Cause greens need bacon. ;-)

I use homemade bacon or Nueske's.
http://www.epicuriou...r-Greens-241192

#7 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

And what was the name of the TED lecture?

Kale slaw can be delicious (I eat it for lunch every day), as long as you slice it very thinly--here's a basic recipe from Martha Stewart--you might fiddle with the dressing, as it's not very good as written. Adding some sugar would be good; I just use whatever vinaigrette I've made for other salads during the week:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon apple-cider vinegar
Coarse salt and pepper
3 cups mixed shredded kale and red cabbage
1 carrot, peeled and julienned
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
2 tablespoons diced red onion
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
Directions
In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, mustard, and apple-cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.

In another bowl, combine kale, cabbage, carrot, parsley, and red onion with sunflower, pumpkin, and hemp seeds.

Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with dressing, and toss to coat.

I love kale with mushrooms--I roasted portobello mushrooms last night, then sauteed thin-sliced kale with garlic and red pepper flakes and served the mushrooms on top with some shavings of parmesan.

Kale also works well in bean soups--plus, if you don't like the flavor, you can make it less noticeable by using strong flavors in the soup--bacon, tomatoes, lots of cheese. One of my favorite soups is this one with meatballs and tons of cheese.

#8 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

Here's a link to the TED lecture: http://tedxtalks.ted...:"tedxiowacity"

I am unlikely to ever risk Kale slaw or raw Kale in any form. I played around today and bacon (figuring Kale was a lot like the beet greens I sometimes got as a kid), shallots, mural of flavor herbs, low sodium veggie broth, balsamic vinegar and Italian white beans when into today's attempt. Browned 2 slices of bacon, chopped the kale and cooked in the bacon drippings along with shallots, and herbs. Then added balsamic vinegar and the broth and the white beans and reduced the liquid for a bit. I had some for lunch and the rest with my lamb chop at dinner.

Next shot might be kale and white bean soup with pancetta.

The Wafu recipe looks interesting.

#9 daisy

daisy
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

Sunset magazine's current issue includes an article, "22 Ways with Fresh Greens." Lots of ideas to add different flavors to the mix.
Greens recipes

#10 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

I like to saute' kale in a bit of olive oil and slivers of garlic in a non-stick pan. I cover it and let it steam to the level of tenderness I desire. I like it for breakfast this way with the addition of a poached egg and some toast. You can also just make a place in the pan and cook the egg among the greens when they're basically done.

#11 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure you've come across kale chips in your search online. They are worth a try. Not a substitute for potato chips but a different alternative and much healthier.

I love making the lacinto kale chips with a little bit of old bay. They go way too fast. Rub them down with a little olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and bake in a 250 degree oven until crisp. We also do a home version of olive garden's zuppa toscana that I googled once.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#12 JayinPortland

JayinPortland
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

I see you've already said you're unlikely to go the raw route, but I'd be remiss if I failed to mention that the greatest kale dish I've ever had is the kale and ricotta salata salad at Dove Vivi. Was a long time ago and I only had it that once, but this recipe looks pretty close (and one of the comments confirms that suspicion). I'll have to try it here soon myself.

Kale and eggs are indeed a great breakfast, as mentioned above...

#13 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

One of my favorites:

Kale and Gruyere Panade
  • olive oil
  • 3 medium-sized onions, sliced
  • 1 lb kale or swiss chard, tough ribs removed and torn into pieces
  • 10 oz stale artisan-type bread, torn into pieces (about 3-4 cups, loosely packed)
  • ~ 2 cups grated cave-aged Gruyere cheese, or a mixture of Gruyere, Parmggiano Reggiano, or hard sheeps milk cheese
    (You can reduce the amount of cheese substantially to make it healthier but do not eliminate it completely)
  • ~ 1-2 cups good-quality light stock or broth*

• Heat a couple of turns of olive oil in a large, wide, deep saucepan or dutch oven. Add the onions, stirring to coat, and a pinch of salt. Cook the onions over medium heat, stirring fairly frequently, about 20 minutes.
  • Wash the kale or chard and leave the water clinging to it. Add the greens and continue cooking over medium-high heat until they are wilted and soft, about 4 minutes for chard and slightly longer for kale. Set aside.
  • In a bowl, toss the bread with about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and a few pinches of salt.
  • Preheat oven to 325 F. Bring the stock to a simmer. Layer the panade: place a layer of greens/onions in the bottom of a casserole dish, which has been lightly coated with cooking spray. Scatter with bread pieces, and sprinkle with cheese. Repeat. You want at least 2-3 layers of each component, and make sure a little bit of everything (greens, onions, bread, cheese) is peaking out the top. Do not fill your casserole more than 3/4 full or it may overflow. Pour the stock into the casserole dish.
  • Cover the top loosely with foil, which has also been lightly sprayed. Place in the oven on a baking sheet to catch drips. Bake 1 1/4 hours, or until thick and bubbly. Uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes, until the top is browned. Let cool slightly before serving. Makes good leftovers.
*The original recipe calls for 2c stock + 2c water but I found that was far too much, resulting in a soupy mess. Now, I just measure by eye to end up with a bread pudding, or dryer, consistency.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#14 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

Wow, John, that looks so good. Just the thing for a cheesy cheese lover like me.....

#15 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

Here's a recipe for a kale-gruyere gratin from MIX Mag that I've been meaning to try.

http://www.oregonliv...tin_recipe.html

#16 pearlsugar

pearlsugar
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:52 AM

I'm not a lover of Kale so I make kale chips which take out much of the bitterness. I add a splash of soy sauce to my olive oil which I toss the kale in. Adds a nice bit of umami flavor.
I sleep, I eat, I work at PartSelect.com. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.