Photo

Wafu

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Went last night to say hi to Daniel Mondok and have some old faves before the overhaul. Also made a reservation for the chef's table at Roe for GF's b-day in a couple weeks.

Food was great, as ever. Some of Mondok's additions to the menu are just fabulous such as the salt & pepper squid and a special of hamachi ceviche was absoulutely delicious.

But I have to disagree Kernel, and I bet that most of what the 4 of you ate was ramen...because if you are eating ramen, it is easy to fill up cheaply, but if you drink sake and stick to fish/seafood dishes, it's expensive. We shared the squid, ceviche, 2 crab handrolls (1 roll each) and a plate of seared tuna on veggies ribbons in brown butter/nori sauce and 9oz. of sake (one that is less expensive than what we usually drink elsewhere) and the bill was $75.

We were not full, the plates, other than the fried squid, were smallish (the seared tuna was a larger plate, but still not a large serving for $17 or $18) - absolutely delicious food, great ingredients, well-prepared...but not cheap.

It costs what it costs, I am not complaining - but unless you are eating ramen and limit yourself to one beer or don't drink at all, it is not cheap to eat there (unless you have a very small appetite). Whether Roe or Wafu, it's still a splurge for us to eat there.

That said, I am looking forward to the $95pp splurge plus pairings in a couple of weeks...but I am happy to splurge for a special dinner when someone I love turns 50.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#122 Kernel

Kernel
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Went last night to say hi to Daniel Mondok and have some old faves before the overhaul. Also made a reservation for the chef's table at Roe for GF's b-day in a couple weeks.

Food was great, as ever. Some of Mondok's additions to the menu are just fabulous such as the salt & pepper squid and a special of hamachi ceviche was absoulutely delicious.

But I have to disagree Kernel, and I bet that most of what the 4 of you ate was ramen...because if you are eating ramen, it is easy to fill up cheaply, but if you drink sake and stick to fish/seafood dishes, it's expensive. We shared the squid, ceviche, 2 crab handrolls (1 roll each) and a plate of seared tuna on veggies ribbons in brown butter/nori sauce and 9oz. of sake (one that is less expensive than what we usually drink elsewhere) and the bill was $75.

We were not full, the plates, other than the fried squid, were smallish (the seared tuna was a larger plate, but still not a large serving for $17 or $18) - absolutely delicious food, great ingredients, well-prepared...but not cheap.

It costs what it costs, I am not complaining - but unless you are eating ramen and limit yourself to one beer or don't drink at all, it is not cheap to eat there (unless you have a very small appetite). Whether Roe or Wafu, it's still a splurge for us to eat there.

That said, I am looking forward to the $95pp splurge plus pairings in a couple of weeks...but I am happy to splurge for a special dinner when someone I love turns 50.

Strange, because this was the third straight time I left and though how cheap it was relative to the quality and quantity of food.  We did have one order of ramen and that is filling.  But we had a dish of beets, greens with a miso vinaigrette topped with two prawns wrapped in fried filo.  It was outstanding and a very large portion for $8.  I was astonished at the price.  This was a very large plate of food. The calamari was also a fairly large serving for $10.  We had one other item that I can't recall now.    

Granted, we had only one drink (beer) and they do bring a small bowl of butter noodles out for my 16 month old on the house, so that helps.   Maybe our ordering differs enough to make the value experience so varied. I've never been called a light eater.   

#123 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Well, the veggie dishes are definitely less expensive (I almost ordered those beets, but the GF is not a beet eater), but it really is the sake that is such a poor value there. And because they do not offer it by the bottle, it makes it a worse value than anywhere you can order by the bottle.

We always say we are not going to order it there, but we both love it and often cave...and feel the remorse later. With the restaurant changing, though, it might not be an issue, as they plan to only have 2-4 sakes available anyway...I'll probably switch to wine or drink water there in the future (other than for the Roe experience).

The sake we had sells retail for about $25/bottle (720ml), at Wafu it is $21 for 9oz (which is about 5 tiny sake cups worth of sake - and 720ml is about 24 oz.). Bottles of this sake can be had at restaurants around town for about $30-40 depending where you go. If you don't want to do the math, at the 9oz price, that would make a bottle price over $55. (It's not a rare or special or hard to get sake, you can buy it at FuBonn.)

Never give up! Never surrender!

#124 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

The calamari and the clams are a helluva value for the price... also the draft sake 9oz for 4.50 during HH can't be beat.

Too bad you got only a few days left to enjoy it.. by honestly I can't wait for the make over.. Daniel seems really excited about what he's going to do with the menu.