Spielman

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 scouty

scouty
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:18 AM

2128 SE Division has a new place for great bagels (Montreal style) and coffee in the old Tart location. I guess bagel were really a second thought to the coffee but there are great.

#2 vj

vj
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

Spielman Coffee Roasters
2128 SE Division
http://www.facebook....327645557245962

I wonder if they have Montreal Meat? I'm guessing not given that the emphasis appears to be on coffee roasting and baking.

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,971 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

I didn't find their bagels very Montreal-like, but I did think they were decent. If you want a true Montreal-style bagel, hit Eltana in Seattle. They nail it. This is more of a hybrid, I think, much like Tastebud's. It had a decent crust to it, a rather soft, moist, kind of English muffiny interior. Definitely a big step up from Noah's.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#4 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

It had a decent crust to it, a rather soft, moist, kind of English muffiny interior. Definitely a big step up from Noah's.

I went this weekend and found this to be pretty accurate. Although I'd say the crust was very good, definitely a step up from decent. I also don't see the Tastebud similarity.. toasted or not, those bagels hurt my teeth and are tough to get through. this one had appropriate crunch/chew and tenderness. They are using a better, richer cream cheese than Kettleman's, and the coffee is really good. it's pricey though, and no free 'look the other way' refills like Kettleman's.. Although you get what you pay for I suppose. I also liked the family vibe in there- was definitely father & son, and I think the young lady was the daughter?

I had an everything toasted with cream cheese, and I will definitely be back. Hope they figure out some more seating in there.. I do believe I got lucky walking in there when I did. The rest of the time I was in there (9:45-10:30 on a saturday) the tables were full and there was a line.

Bagel varieties were: Plain, onion, garlic, everything, sesame seed, multigrain, multigrain everything, bacon cheddar ('Rabbi's Nightmare'), and sun-dried tomato basil.

They do egg and cheese bagels as well.. watched them making these, they were cooking the eggs pretty dark, which is not my thing, so i'll avoid that going forward.

Anyway, a hearty recommendation for this place.
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 6,973 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

Went here last weekend to try the coffee...found a new fave. They roast very small batches and do an amazing job of it. The stuff makes smooth and flavorful pour-overs at home - love both the Mexican and El Salvador stuff he has had this last week.

They had a coffeeshop on the west side for a while. Now the son roasts and dad runs the shop, and everything is baked in house: bagels, croissants, biscotti, scones, cookies, etc. Ended up spending a bunch of time there reading and playing cards, so we asked if they would make us tuna lettuce wraps instead of sandwiches and they did so - and they were good. Choices are few for sandwiches: eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, cheese, tuna, hummus, cream cheese...but everything looks fresh and good. They were out of bagels when we went there, but were baking a new batch...just as well not to have the temptation when I am trying to avoid that kind of stuff.

Makes losing Tart (and their awesome frozen custard) a little less painful.

Wish the place was a more comfy spot ot hang out in, but that's OK. Mr. Spielman and his son do such a good job with the coffee (and do a nice pull of espresso in addition to having great drip brewed) that I can overlook that...and so should you.

Stop in and give this family business a try...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#6 mariko

mariko
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

Anyone know their hours?

#7 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 809 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

According to FB, hours are presently 7-5 seven days a week, but are flexible.
I've been here twice, and while the bagels aren't NY style (the inner texture is more breadlike) or Montreal style, they're not trying to be. Rick, the owner, calls them SE Portland style, and that works for me. My favorite so far has been the pumpernickel bagel, makes a great base for liverwurst, and the plain. Jean liked the everything, and I had a tomato-basil, but that just didn't work out for me. No problem.

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,971 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

I've been here twice, and while the bagels aren't NY style (the inner texture is more breadlike) or Montreal style, they're not trying to be. Rick, the owner, calls them SE Portland style, and that works for me.

That's fine, but a bit of a copout. Traditions are like parents. Sure, you might be able to survive without them and some are just fucked up, but generally you're better off with their help than without them. If he's looked into the traditions, replicated their results, and then decided he wants to do differently and prefers differently, more power to him. If he's just tried one or two recipes from a cookbook and said "good enough" then it's just laziness and the response is a guise. Of course, maybe people will think they're great and BETTER than the traditions. Personally, I think they could use some work, though they are definitely better than most. But most in Portland are shit, so....
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#9 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 809 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

I don't want to rile up the old authentic vs. inauthentic debate here, but in a city that has excellent bakers, we're amazingly short of decent bagels. I'm glad to have a second option, particularly in a location that's close to liverwurst. I appreciate your point and desire for excellence.

#10 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,971 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

So, I decided to do a head-to-head comparison between Spielman, Kettleman in current pre-Noah's destruction form, and Noah's. I got bagels and bagel sandwiches at each....

Posted Image

Might as well start with Kettleman, since that's what most people here are probably familiar with. Here's a plain bagel and a bialy. Didn't know they did bialys. A little puffy, but not bad.

The bagel itself had a light crust to it, but had clearly been boiled and baked.

Posted Image

There were some air pockets inside (which are usually considered undesirable), but generally they were uniformly dense. Texture had some chew to it.

Posted Image

Flavor was sweet and bland, not much to it. It had a little yeastiness in the nose, but not much else. Looking at the exterior, there are a few telltale fermentation bubbles, but not many. They're making real bagels, but the flavor could definitely be improved.

Their cream cheese tastes second rate. It fell right in the middle of the survey.

Posted Image

They do make a good bagel sandwich, though -- best of the three in this survey. The bagels are soft enough that you don't lose the fillings out the back by trying to take a bite. And they load the sandwiches with sufficient quality meats, cheeses and veggies. They've got a lot options for the sandwiches, too.

Posted Image

Even though most of Spielman's bagels on this day had over-proofed (on a previous visit, they were better; they had holes, not assholes), they were still the best. The one on the right is a maple bacon bagel that was darn tasty, not just a gimmick.

Posted Image

Texture could use some improvement. They're a little soft and the crumb is definitely too loose. I want to see a bagel with a uniform density that has some nice chew to it. These weren't meaningfully less chewy than those from Kettleman, but they were too puffy.

Posted Image

That said, both the crust and the flavor were improved over Kettleman. Check out all those fermentation bubbles. And it shows in the flavor. Theirs have a light, but noticeable sourdough flavor, like a muted San Francisco sourdough. I'd like to see more balance in the flavor and more of a bagel flavor with some maltiness rather than just a plain sourdough bread flavor, but these at least taste like something. And they have nice golden crusts. Pretty good cream cheese. I don't know if it tastes any better than Philly, but that's still an improvement over the other two.

Posted Image

Spielman's bagels work well for sandwiches. They're just soft enough, as with Kettleman's. They could be better than the ones at Kettleman if they'd put more stuff in them. The bread dominates the filling. They're only $5 vs $7.50, but I want optimum proportions and flavor not minimum price.

Posted Image

It shouldn't be too surprising that Noah's sucked, but I'd forgotten how bad their bagels are. WTF are those striations? They don't appear to be boiled and baked. There's no glazy crust to them.

Posted Image

Inside you can see that they're made with equivalent of Wonderbread. They're soft and flavorless. What's weird is they had a strong yeasty smell to them, almost too strong, like the emissions from a brewery. But in flavor, they were mostly bland and a little sweet. Pretty awful cream cheese here, btw. Tasted like soured butter.

Posted Image

Even on the sandwich the squishy, gummy, bland nature of the bagels was apparent. I asked for them not to toast my sandwich, but even with the toasting, the problems were obvious. The fillings weren't bad. I'd say as far as proportion of meats/cheese and flavors of filling, they win out over Spielman. It's just the bagels are SOOO bad. I'd also say the bagels with toppings are WORSE than the plain bagels because they get less color on them. They're just really bad bagels.

#11 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,558 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

Just curious if you recollect the pricing of just the bagels?

#12 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,971 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

I have photos on my camera:

Noah's: $1.05
Spielman: $1.25
Kettleman: $1.05

Not sure if the pricing was the same between Noah's and Kettleman prior to the buy-out.

#13 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Time for a second bagel tasting? I'd love to see how your previous recommendations would play out now. I'd be up for one.

#14 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

I stopped by Spielman's a while back when this thread first popped up.

Am I the only one that thinks that their bagels are noticeably sweet?

I thought the people running the place were exceedingly nice, the coffee was pretty good, but the bagels were a mixed bag.

I'll go back, but not for the bagels.

#15 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,971 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

Bagels should have some sweetness. But I thought these were more sour than anything. At least on this visit.

#16 jennifer

jennifer
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

In case H&H holds a special place in anyone's heart here, looks like their sun has set. Nice looking bagel in the pic.

http://www.huffingto...ef=food&ir=Food

#17 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:13 AM

Bagels should have some sweetness. But I thought these were more sour than anything. At least on this visit.

I bought two bagels - sesame and everything. They were both more noticeably sweet than anything I've ever had. I know what you mean by some sweetness, but these were way more than that.

I'll be down that way again today. I'll give the bagels one more try.

#18 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

Stopped in again this morning.

I talked to them about the bagels and they said they have toned down the sweetness. I found the sweetness level to be noticeably less and in line with Tastebud and K&Z now. They use a sourdough starter for the leavening and I could taste the yeastiness today.

They do a good job with espresso drinks too.

Really nice folks who really want to please their customers.

#19 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,971 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Stop the presses! Important bagel update....

Pablo stopped in this morning and picked up bagels and schmears from Spielman and from one fresser to another, they're frucking frawesome. Observe:

Posted Image

This is an everything bagel and a salt. Look at that beautiful, even, dark crust. Great crunch and flavor on the exterior with nice sourdough interior.

Posted Image

You can see the wonderful crust in the cross-section, too. Decently tight crumb, too. These were delicious bagels. I'd say K&Z/Touch of Grace bagels still have better flavor with the maltiness. K&Z has a stretchier texture, too. But this crust was fabulous. It's like a marriage of the really crunchy Montreal-style bagels with the size, texture, and flavor of NY bagels. When K&Z does a dark bake, I still prefer K&Z, but if Spielman's bagels were always like this, it'd be a really tough call between K&Z and Spielman on an average day.

These bagels I had today are better than 99% of what you would get ANYWHERE -- including NY -- in the country.

#20 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Maybe you just look for something different in bagels, or like a completely different style than I do.. but I had some a few weeks ago and they were good, but nothing I'd go out of my way for in the future.