• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

Sounds like bottles came in to town about a month ago and sold like a flash, with liquor store regulars and VIPs getting preferential treatment... maybe even over those who were on waiting lists? Been trying to find out who's pouring it and for how much. Found a couple spots so far:

PVW 12 @ Whiskey Soda Lounge - $9
PVW 23 @ Whiskey Soda Lounge - $35
PVW 23 @ Eastburn - $27
VW 10 @ Pope House - $12
PVW 12 @ Pope House - $14
PVW 15 @ Pope House - $18
PVW 20 @ Pope House - $24
PVW 23 @ Pope House - $48
PVW 20 @ Clyde Common - $25
PVW 23 @ Hop & Vine - $?
VW 10 @ Acadia - $9
PVW 12 @ Acadia - $10
PVW 20 @ Acadia - $22
PVW 23 @ Acadia - $40
VW 10 @ Gold Dust Meridian - $?
PVW 12 @ Gold Dust Meridian - $?
PVW 15 @ Gold Dust Meridian - $?
PVW 20 @ Gold Dust Meridian - $?
PVW ? @ North 45 - $?

Any PVW fans feel free to add to the list..
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

We were lucky enough to try PVW alongside the stout Block 15 made in their used barrels last Feb. at Hop & Vine. Also was able to purchase 2 bottles of the limited bottle run of the stout. OMG was that delicious - both individually and together.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#3 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

I was there for that as well! February is bourbon month at Block 15.. They'll be releasing the 2012 version of that beer (Pappy's Dark), another bourbon-aged beer (Super Nebula) and offering PVW flights as well as other hard-to-find bourbons. Will be securing a hotel room for that jaunt to Corvallis...
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#4 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

North 45:

*Van Winkle 12yr Lot B – 15
*Pappy Van Winkle 15yr – 13
*Pappy Van Winkle 20yr – 25
*Pappy Van Winkle 23yr – 50
*Pappy Van Winkle Rye – 20

Douchey whiskey rant you can totally skip if you just want to find Pappys in town:

I own a few bottles of Lot B, 1 bottle of 15yr, 1 bottle of 20yr, and am down to one bottle of the Rye. I've tried the 23yr a couple of times. Verdict: The 20 yr is great, the 15 yr is very good, and the 12yr is on par with a whole slew of $40+ bourbons. But the one I truly sweat and is exceptionally hard to find is the rye. I'd rather track one of those down or pay $20 a pour than I would pop for the 23 yr bourbon, which loses too much punch versus the 15 and 20 yr. The 15yr for $18 at Pope House is also a good deal.

Anyhow, Pappys is overrated at this point. Chuck Cowdery tiptoes around it here: http://chuckcowdery....nkle-watch.html - they are clever marketers who make good (sometimes great) whiskey and release it in deliberately small allocations. Nothing wrong with that, but it drives up the demand to absurd levels. Remember two years ago when the urban legend was "There's no more Pappys! This is it!!" Surprise, there's more. There's nothing in the whole line that I think is really awesome *and* unique, other than the rye. If you can, taste the Pappy 15 next to the totally available and just over $40 Elijah Craig 18. Or the Jefferson's Very Old. Or the Eagle Rare 17.

Speaking of, if you want to try a truly rare and disappearing historic bourbon that's awesome? AH Hirsch 16 year: http://www.hirschbourbon.com/ - No artificial scarcity on that one. It's the last thing bottled at the historic Michters distillery after it closed. Or if you want something somewhat available that's also rare (and awesome), spring for the Jefferson's Presidential Select 18: http://www.drinkupny...pNY_p/s0060.htm - Last thing bottled at the historic Stitzel-Weller distillery.

#5 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

i am totally aware that i am feeding a hype machine. i realize that others think its meh for the money. the complex candy-like notes in the older PVWs speak to me more than others, i think. frankly, black maple hill 20 is the best ive had and would be seeking that out if it wasnt for the excitement of "pappys is back".. ticking is part of any hobby culture, i guess. thanks for the recos though, i fully intend on trying them all. as you know, this is a cost prohibitive hobby and one that takes a while to fully explore. please post any time you hear of something special/worthwhile becoming available!
GG Allin

#6 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

I won't pretend I haven't been a cog in that hype machine. I'm probably over or close to four figures worth of Pappys consumption at this point. And I do like their whiskies; none of them are 'meh' IMO. I just think the forced scarcity and hype has pushed them past what they're really worth and the effort to get them (rye excepted) as compared to other exceptional bourbons on offer. Like you, I do try as many whiskies as possible as my budget allows. BTW, if you love the candy notes in the PVW bourbons, you should try the rye. It's got a sweet caramel finish that's unusual for a rye that starts out spicy.

Another whiskey line that's getting increasingly tough to get is the Buffalo Trace antique collection - http://www.greatbour...collection.aspx - The George T Stagg is particularly sought after now. It's 142.6 proof, and will destroy most of your internal organs without a healthy cut of water.

These days, it seems like I try out most new whiskies at Brooklyn Park. They very frequently add to their whiskey board, and there's usually something new and/or special that I haven't had. And I can play Settlers of Catan while I drink.

#7 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

15 & 20 yr at Old Gold. prices same as the age of the respective bottles.
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#8 porky pine

porky pine
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

I love George T Stagg. I picked up a bottle randomly last time I was in San Francisco on the recommendation of a guy working at the wine/liquor store D and M. It was the strongest booze I've ever drank but very complex tasting and it opened up with a teaspoon or two of water per glass. I was sad when the bottle was gone.

#9 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

We were lucky enough to try PVW alongside the stout Block 15 made in their used barrels last Feb. at Hop & Vine. Also was able to purchase 2 bottles of the limited bottle run of the stout. OMG was that delicious - both individually and together.

Feb 4th will be this years release in Corvallis, followed by the Hop & Vine event on Feb 11th. Sounds like if you want the Super Nebula aged in the lost barrels, Corvallis is your best bet. Otherwise, plenty of Pappy's at the H&V!
GG Allin

#10 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

for those who may be interested, the special bourbons available throughout Feb at Block 15:

Special Bourbons (and a wheat whiskey) we have collected. Many of these bourbons are rare and unique. Presented in Glencairn whiskey tasting glass. Only for the month of February.

From the Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery
Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr $8
Van Winkle Special Reserve 12yr $9
Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 15yr $12
Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 20yr $20
Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 23yr $25

Buffalo Trace Rediscovered Collection
1989 $20
1991 $12
1993 $9.50

George T. Stagg 2011 $15
Bernheim Wheat Whiskey $5.50
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2010 $7
Angles Envy $6
Buffalo Trace Block 15 Brewers Single Cask Selection $5.50
GG Allin

#11 HappyHourHero

HappyHourHero
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

Circa 33 has 10, 15, and 20, I believe. They also have Stagg. At 71%, that shit is burllyyyyy. Definitely a quality buzz.

#12 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:00 AM

Circa 33 has 10, 15, and 20, I believe. They also have Stagg. At 71%, that shit is burllyyyyy. Definitely a quality buzz.

.3! 71.3%. As pedestrian as Buffalo Trace can be, this stuff is out of this world and worth every penny! That said, prices on the internet are wildly different. I paid $90 and have seen prices north of $150. I either got a unicorn deal or there are some real dolts out there paying 60% too much....
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#13 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Had some Pappy's 20 year with the beer Block 15 made aged in Pappy's casks and the pairing was seriously awesome. Went down to Corvallis to get a couple of bottles of the Pappy's and Super Nebula - got the Pappy's - they were out of Super Nebula in just 1.75 hours... Guess we will go to Hop & Vine for the Super Nebula next weekend.

It was all worth the drive, though, because they had the Super Nebula ON NITRO at Les Caves Biers. OMFG was that ever awesome. I love me some creamy stout on nitro...

Really liked the vibe at Block 15 - will make it a point to stop in there whenever I find myself out that way.

I think that the pour of the 20 year was $20 (and worth it, especially to complete the pairing); and I think the 23 year was $40... They also had the 3 Buffalo Traces and other bourbons.

I highly recommend getting down there if you love bourbons and stouts aged in their barrels...they'll be featuring 'em all through the month of February.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#14 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

it was indeed a great time!

Posted Image
this is the single barrel buffalo trace bottled especially for block 15 mixed with the hot wort from their hypnosis barleywine. they were calling this the 'bourbon hottie'

Posted Image
a few of us ordered a few bourbons. not like it matters since they all look the same, but im pretty sure we're looking at l-r buffalo trace 1991 reclaimed, old forester birthday bourbon & pappy 12 lot B

Posted Image
this is the special beer tasting tray they offered.. the 2010 super nebula was a highlight with a bacon-like roast from the cocoa nibs. awesome stuff, great day.
GG Allin

#15 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

This is a good read from David Driscoll at K&L Wines about Black Maple Hill (the new Pappy's-style hype child?) - http://spiritsjourna...maple-hill.html - FWIW, I've had some pretty awesome BMH 20+yr ryes and bourbons. I'd be less enthused about trying one of the mystery BMHs for big money.

Of greater concern (if you're an American whiskey enthusiast): We're getting no-age-statement whiskies that cost more: http://spiritsjourna...as-dilemma.html

Getting tough to find legit bourbon or rye bargains these days.

#16 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

Aaaaand, that's their intended purpose.

#17 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

This is a good read from David Driscoll at K&L Wines about Black Maple Hill (the new Pappy's-style hype child?) - http://spiritsjourna...maple-hill.html - FWIW, I've had some pretty awesome BMH 20+yr ryes and bourbons. I'd be less enthused about trying one of the mystery BMHs for big money.

Of greater concern (if you're an American whiskey enthusiast): We're getting no-age-statement whiskies that cost more: http://spiritsjourna...as-dilemma.html

As most of us know, the popularity (price) of types of liquors is cyclical. Vodka remains a flagship for people who don't really like to taste anything but fruit juice. Gin has been pretty popular for a while and bourbon is now too. When a liquor gets popular companies inevitably hop on the band wagon of higher demand/prices with inferior products and effective marketing. That's typical of a free-market and as the K&L article suggest, if you don't like it then don't buy it. While I feel I can still find a good bourbon value out there (Buffalo Trace is my go-to currently), my natural response will be to reduce bourbon purchases and find something else that I like to drink. It's a shame though because I just love the brown stuff.

This made me chuckle: "Black Maple Hill is so hot right now"

#18 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

dont want to put a whole thing in the PR section, but just wanted to alert anyone interested that there will be a special tapping of both Super Nebula (imperial stout in Pappy 23 barrels) and Imagine (imperial belgian stout partially aged in Pappy barrels) on 8/9, 6pm at the beermongers. no actual bourbon, but fun for the beer geeks.
GG Allin

#19 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

dont want to put a whole thing in the PR section, but just wanted to alert anyone interested that there will be a special tapping of both Super Nebula (imperial stout in Pappy 23 barrels) and Imagine (imperial belgian stout partially aged in Pappy barrels) on 8/9, 6pm at the beermongers. no actual bourbon, but fun for the beer geeks.

Thanks, putting this on my calendar.

#20 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

Throwing this in the Beermongers thread for good measure.