Double Dragon

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

I'm way more excited about this than I should be. I sense A LOT of warm summer evenings on the patio at Apex with some great beers and a damn fine banh mi.

#42 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

Went to Double Dragon for dinner tonight looking to try the non-sandwich side of the menu. The dude worked at Momofuku so he's gotta know how to put together a decent bowl of ramen.

The ramen uses a "curry, coconut" broth.

Posted Image

I figured this could end up a milky, perfumey soup, but it wasn't like that at all—it's still based on a pretty rich, fatty broth. (They must end up with a lot of pork and chicken bits to turn into broth, right?) The curry mainly adds peppery notes, and the coconut seems to just thicken it. This is good news for me as I'm a bigger fan of savory broths than strongly aromatic ones. The noodles are just ok—I don't expect a sandwich shop to cut their own noodles. There was maybe too much noodle overall, but I can't really complain. The pork was tender and nice, the egg lovely.

This is clearly a place that's not afraid to mess with your expectations. Ramen is so tricky since everyone will walk in expecting their favorite ramen from whatever place they've had, and there's so many ways to make the darn thing. This one beats most of the ramen Portland had prior to Boke and Wafu.

Same expectation-twisting with the "green papaya salad".

Posted Image

You might expect som tam like at a Thai place, but that's not it. This is much milder and sweeter. And their "sweet tea"? Milk tea with a load of clovey spices, not Southern tea. It's all actually really good food, so it'll be a shame if folks complain because it doesn't match their idea of it. I feel guilty for starting the thread that way myself, but hey that's what you get when you open a "banh mi" place decorated to the gills with authentic Vietnamese stuff :)

The sandwiches are still very good. The duck is tender and loaded with flavor. Cool to see them open for lunch and dinner every day now.

#43 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

roast duck bahn mi. EXCEPTIONAL. Perfect bread, fillings, ratio, ..... etc. perfect sandwich. A value at under ten bucks.
The papaya salad was somewhere between forgettable and inedible. Really just not good. At all. Skip it.
Milk coffee drink was not overly sweet and was delicious and savory.

After a pulled pork sandwich so bad early that day that I couldn't eat it at (ahem) another establishment, I was glad to get some food. This was stellar.
breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

#44 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

Posted Image

Me likey likey.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#45 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Drove past today, and Double Dragon definitely looked CLOSED. Anyone know anything for certain? Nothing on Yelp or on their website, but there was yellow tape across the doorway, and it had a cleaned out vibe. 

#46 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

We really like their salads and sandwiches - I hope they're still open...

#47 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

I thought I had saw an announcement about them doing some interior overhauls, but I don't see anything on their Facebook or Twitter since Super Bowl.  When I drove by the other day, they had an Orange Construction sign in the window.

Ah, found it.  It was on Eater here:

http://pdx.eater.com...u-expansion.php

SE Division's "Portland-style" banh mi shop Double Dragon (proudly run "by a white fellow from NJ") will soon expand its menu past sandwiches and ramen. According to chef/owner Rob Walls, a kitchen renovation (adding more equipment to the spot's current two induction burners) will "allow us to fully push beyond something that's basically a banh mi shop right now into a place that does all kinds of non-traditional renditions of dishes from all Asian cuisines."

Supposed to have a bar redo, as well.  Said it was supposed to be done in January, but it wouldn't surprise me if they waited for February.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#48 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Thank god. A few weeks ago I had a bahn mi with pork belly AND foie gras. Dynamite.

#49 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thanks, MSG. Glad to see they're doing well enough to expand. 

#50 mikeczyz

mikeczyz
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

Was here Saturday for a bahn mi.  Went for the pork belly and foie gras.  It was okay.  There were A LOT of pickled vegetables on the sandwich, so the whole thing skewed sorta acidic.  Foie pate wasn't strong enough to stand up to that much acid.  I think they are cute using foie pate, but the sandwich really needed a solid grounding.  Chicken liver pate would've been a better choice.  Bread wasn't bad.  Pork belly sorta got lost in the whole experience.  I might sound like I didn't enjoy my sandwich, but it wasn't half bad.  It was certainly good enough that I'll consider returning and ordering some of the other items.