Cookie Exchange 2011 Dec 3 @2pm

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

Well ho ho ho! It's that season again - the one where we bake cookies at home, then everyone comes to my house to exchange them for other delicious cookies, eat lovely savory food and socialize. Usually we do this the first week in December, so let's get this party started.

Would either Saturday December 3 or Sunday December 4th work? I don't mind doing it the following weekend if that works better. We've met in the afternoon in years past and that's still a great option for us. Or evening.

For those who haven't attended before (and newcomers are absolutely welcome), here's the story: We count up how many people will be attending, and bake six cookies of the same type for each person, plus another six for sharing at the exchange. That means if there are 10 participants, you'd bake 66 cookies. Then you put each participant's in a bag or some other container - fancy or plain. Make or purchase something savory for the pot-luck table to share with everyone. (We tried just eating cookies the first year but everyone ended up yelling and chasing each other around the house so we decided to add savory foods to the mix).

Then come to my house at the appointed time (we live in Multnomah Village) and eat, talk and take home one package of everyone else's cookies. You can eat them all on the ride home or eat some and freeze some, or freeze all of them and offer them to friends who drop over or for a family gathering.

Who's up for the exchange this year? What type of cookies are you thinking about bringing? Address and directions will be sent to each participant that needs them.

#2 ducky

ducky
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

Was I thinking that loud? I've been thinking about this all week and putting together a stack of recipes to test. So ready for this. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Looking at Martha Stewart's coconut macaroons, french macarons, chocolate chip blondie bars, meyer lemon lace cookies, maybe shortbread nuggets or pfeffernusse. Who knows by the time we get there though.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#3 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

I'm very attracted to French macarons these days. Even if you don't bring them, I'd love to learn how to make them, Have you tried them before?

#4 ducky

ducky
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

I'm very attracted to French macarons these days. Even if you don't bring them, I'd love to learn how to make them, Have you tried them before?

No I haven't tried them yet.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#5 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:23 PM

I'm thinking about Nanaimo bars.

#6 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:24 AM

OK folks, let's get some of the previous cookie exchangers contributing to this thread. Jill-O? Craig? Kathy? Sarah?

#7 craig

craig
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:15 PM

Made it. Thanks for the prod P&J. Dec 3 would be great for me. I had an idea a few weeks ago but it escapes me now. I'll start digging. I wonder about something with clarified butter. Hmmm
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#8 ducky

ducky
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:44 AM

Will be trying out blondies on the peeps at work tomorrow using Guittard's cappacino chips. Been meaning to do something with them for awhile now. Might pick up some of their mint chips too to play with.
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#9 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

Will be trying out blondies on the peeps at work tomorrow using Guittard's cappacino chips. Been meaning to do something with them for awhile now. Might pick up some of their mint chips too to play with.

Sounds yummy!

#10 craig

craig
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:52 AM

Hmmm. Could pumpkin cookies using clarified butter and cacao nibs and chocolate chips work to make a cookie? And, I wonder how it would taste?
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#11 ducky

ducky
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:44 AM

Made mocha blondie bars last night with the cappuccino chips and a few chocolate chips. They're very sweet but kinda addictive. :)
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#12 craig

craig
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

Made mocha blondie bars last night with the cappuccino chips and a few chocolate chips. They're very sweet but kinda addictive. :)

:-)

Ducky, any reason clarified butter would be bad in making cookies?

#13 craig

craig
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:54 AM

I should add I mean ghee or browned butter, not just clarified.

#14 ducky

ducky
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

I wouldn't think so. Browned butter in my experience has been awesome in cookies.
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#15 ducky

ducky
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

I googled and there are ghee cookie recipes out there.
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#16 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

Craig, I don't know if you remember, but the cookies I made last year utilized browned butter - it was the dominant flavor of the cookies.

#17 craig

craig
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

I do remember. Thx.

#18 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:50 AM

This sounds fun. I have no idea what I'd make, but hoorah for the challenge!

#19 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

This sounds fun! Thank you for the pm to check the thread!

Not sure what to share this year..pate will probably be in order as this savory...

#20 bwolff

bwolff
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

Sounds wonderful. You can never eat too many cookies. Sign me up.

Ben