Sok Sab Bai

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Cambodian Street Food Cart

Cambodian Street Food Cart
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:12 PM

Sok Sab Bai! First Cambodian Street Food Cart in southeast Portland. Located at 1114 SE Clay ST. Portland, OR 97214, just 1 block south of Hawthorne Blvd. We have a daily rotating menu so checkout Facebook/Twitter for daily specials. Current cart hours Mon-Fri 11am-5pm, Sat 12pm-5pm & Closed on Sundays. Try us out!Attached File  webpic.jpg   51.24K   9 downloadsAttached File  web5.jpg   84.53K   6 downloadsAttached File  web4.jpg   43.77K   6 downloadsAttached File  1_IMAG0557.jpg   89.27K   6 downloadsAttached File  ww.jpg   39.67K   4 downloads

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting some nice pics of your food. Good luck!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#3 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

In case someone wants more info:
Sok Sab Bai on Facebook

Sok Sab Bai (map)
1114 SE Clay St
Portland, OR 97214

Hours:
Mon - Fri: 11:00am - 6:00pm
Sat: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#4 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:34 AM

Your food looks fucking delicious! Best wishes for your business.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#5 Cambodian Street Food Cart

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting some nice pics of your food. Good luck!

Thanks!

#6 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

I'm not really the best at describing how food tastes in a way that carries well over the internet, but I will say that the food here tastes as good as it looks. I had the Cambodian sandwich along with a lemongrass beef skewer and a friend had the rib plate, and we both came away very impressed. I'll be hitting this place again soon.

#7 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Had the short ribs here for lunch today. I liked them quite a bit. Cooked with a bit of sugar and what seemed like a healthy dose of Maggi. The sauce on the left that they serve with it is similar in flavor to the sour Northern dishes you'd find at Pok Pok, minus the heat. It's loaded up with tomatoes, herbs, and green onion. Very enjoyable as a combination. $9 provided me a healthy pile of short ribs as you can see in the picture below.

Owners are very nice and told me the menu changes very regularly. They had a rice porridge dish on the menu that I'd like to get back and try soon. A promising cart that should yield some rare dishes.

Attached File  photo.JPG   177.11K   6 downloads

#8 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

Had the short ribs here for lunch today. I liked them quite a bit. Cooked with a bit of sugar and what seemed like a healthy dose of Maggi. The sauce on the left that they serve with it is similar in flavor to the sour Northern dishes you'd find at Pok Pok, minus the heat. It's loaded up with tomatoes, herbs, and green onion. Very enjoyable as a combination. $9 provided me a healthy pile of short ribs as you can see in the picture below.

Owners are very nice and told me the menu changes very regularly. They had a rice porridge dish on the menu that I'd like to get back and try soon. A promising cart that should yield some rare dishes.

That looks good---looks kind of like a dish I ate a lot in Phnom Penh when I was working there in 2000. I lived across from a medium-size market that had lots of food stalls--including a dog-meat stall that prominently had a heaping platter of meat crowned with a roasted dog head! Every morning I would head over and have a dish of fried beef over rice with a bowl of soup with different vegetables in it. Hit the spot, every day.

#9 Cambodian Street Food Cart

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:46 PM

That looks good---looks kind of like a dish I ate a lot in Phnom Penh when I was working there in 2000. I lived across from a medium-size market that had lots of food stalls--including a dog-meat stall that prominently had a heaping platter of meat crowned with a roasted dog head! Every morning I would head over and have a dish of fried beef over rice with a bowl of soup with different vegetables in it. Hit the spot, every day.

Btw.. we are dog friendly :)

#10 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

Went for lunch. Really like this place. J couldn't stop talking about his sandwich; though they had just sold out of the prawns I was eyeing, I got a HUGE plate of tofu, rice, and perfectly dressed salad for ~ $6 if I recall correctly. Super-fresh and bright flavors. Really nice people. Definitely recommend.

#11 stu

stu
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:52 PM

Had the pork chop on Friday ($8) and really liked it. Can't wait to go back try some other things.

Attached Files

#12 Cambodian Street Food Cart

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

New winter hours!! M-F 1130am-3pm and Sat 12pm-330pm. Closed Sundays

#13 Cambodian Street Food Cart

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

New Willamette Week Press check us out! http://www.wweek.com...ok_sab_bai.html

#14 Cambodian Street Food Cart

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

New seasonal hours are Mon-Fri 11am-7pm! We just reopened last week! Check out our Facebook or Twiiter for our daily menu!

#15 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

Just had an exceptional version of Phnom Penh noodle soup at Sok Sab Bai. Really fragrant broth, great noodles, well-cooked meatballs, a couple slices of fatty pork, and a big slice of liver. I'd put this bowl of soup up into the rarefied category of soups at Ha&VL. I recommend spending $7 on this.

Posted Image

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Very nice. I drive by here all the time and it seems like it's never been open the times I've driven by (and thought about it). Are the hours here up to date and consistent?

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#17 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

Yep, hours are good for now. They told me today they'll go as far into winter as is feasible. When people stop coming by, they'll be done.

Forgot to mention that soup comes with a side of fish sauce/pepper/lime/sriracha. It's great.

#18 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Grabbed a sandwich from Sok Sab Bai a week or two ago to eat at Apex. Really an excellent sandwich----the stewed meat used was very tender and packed with flavor, the pickled vegetable a perfect match, and the bread was excellent. And as mentioned, the owners very nice. Hope to swing by again soon to sample more of their offerings---that soup looks amazing.

#19 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

They are closing the cart and opening a place on 21st & Clinton--at least according to their Facebook. I am SO EXCITED for this. I'm not sure where on 21st & Clinton--is it taking over someplace existing? (Please let it be Hammys.) Anyone know?

#20 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

The address number they've given is 2625 SE 21st, which corresponds to Bara Sushi.