60 replies to this topic

#1 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

http://pdx.eater.com...-menu-plans.php

Ever since rumors started floating about Stumptown founder Duane Sorenson opening a restaurant and bar near his SE Division flagship coffee shop, all involved parties — including chef (and Olympic Provisions alum) Jason Barwikowski and bartender Even Zimmerman — have kept details on the DL.

So we're going to do a platter of ham, maybe with a really simple accompaniment of sweet-cream butter and bread. We might make pickles for it. But we're probably going to have three or four hams at a time by different producers; you can obviously buy one ham platter or you can buy a sampler platter.

The raw bar will be the first thing you see when you walk in the bar. There's going to be a shucking station — Pacific oysters, Pacific clams, raw on the half shell, fluke crudo, chilled seafood. We were talking — when we were up at Wood Stone, we tried grilling some oysters in the oven, and they're so fickle and so time-sensitive that I don't think we're going to do that. But then I started to think, What if we were to wrap a half-dozen oysters in a bunch of seaweed and put that in the oven and steam it? But [expect] Dungeness crab legs, chilled octopus, marinated seafood salad, Bay shrimp, utilizing Oregon bounty of shellfish. Who knows, maybe there will be sea urchin. But the impetus for that was there aren't many places where you can get seafood like that here... the inspiration is [NYC's] Balthazar, the Dutch.

Cannot wait of this to open. It will be on SE Division.

#2 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,591 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

Sounds like they are shooting for a bit of Hog and Rocks as well: http://www.hogandrocks.com/

Godspeed.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#3 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:26 PM

Sounds like they are shooting for a bit of Hog and Rocks as well: http://www.hogandrocks.com/

Godspeed.

Now THAT makes sense to me. When I was reading the Eater story earlier, I was thinking that jeez...either the writeup or the concept was all over the map. But Hog and Rocks looks great.

#4 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

The menu is much more involved than the article articulates. Ham on top, shell fish on the bottom... with a lot of stuff in between! It's pretty dope. Trust me.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,044 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

The O says it is trying to open next week:

http://www.oregonliv...sman_taver.html

A specific date has not been set, but bar manager Evan Zimmerman says they are hustling to open the doors before Portland Cocktail Week, which begins Oct. 20.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#6 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

Soft opening tomorrow (not yet for public). Open next week.
This AND Tanuki all in my birthday month? I'm seriously about to explode with flames of joy!
breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

#7 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

Can't wait to see what they offer for oysters---only place to get a good selection now at EaT. Curious to see the line-up and the ham selections with it. Should be a great addition!

#8 gustoeater

gustoeater
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

Walked by last night, the staff soft opening was just wrapping up. The space looks terrific.

#9 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

Here's the menu...

Attached Files

Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#10 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

It's like someone put Toro Bravo, Country Cat, and Clyde Common in a blender with a little Jake's thrown in for good measure. A perfect distillation of Portland mid-scale dining as it exists today.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#11 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

What the heck is "crazy water?" The best I can come up with is an Elton John tune.

#12 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

What the heck is "crazy water?" The best I can come up with is an Elton John tune.

It's mineral water from Texas. Crazy Water
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#13 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:36 PM

Acqua Pazza means crazy water in Italian. Lightly poached fish in an herbed broth.

#14 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

http://en.wikipedia....qua_pazza_(food)

the last char in link wasn't working for me, so here's a re-link

(modern signature COMING SOON)

#15 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:49 PM

the last char in link wasn't working for me, so here's a re-link

Thank you - the link copied but wouldn't work when I pasted - so above is the quick definition instead. Pretty sure it's the iPad and not user error ;)

#16 pepperjelly

pepperjelly
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

Here's better info about "PESCE ALL' ACQUA PAZZA" (fish in crazy water): My link

#17 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

I'm looking forward to trying this place, but the misspelling of the NW staple "Dungeness" is pretty amusing for a place touting a seafood & a raw bar. Unless it was intentional for some reason. Then, it's just lame.

#18 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

Here's better info about "PESCE ALL' ACQUA PAZZA" (fish in crazy water): My link

I make Hazan's 'Fish in Crazy Water' quite often at home. It really is quite good! Thanks for the link.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#19 LionRock

LionRock
  • Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

I'm looking forward to trying this place, but the misspelling of the NW staple "Dungeness" is pretty amusing for a place touting a seafood & a raw bar. Unless it was intentional for some reason. Then, it's just lame.

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't this a menu from their soft-opening, friends-only dinner? I'm prepared to forgive a few typos, I'm sure they had bigger things to think about.

#20 debdeb

debdeb
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:23 AM

My friend and I ate there tonight for my birthday. I had the Dungennes crab and a side of Chicken livers (hey it was my birthday!) the crab was fresh and everything a crab should be. The chicken livers were very nice, they were breaded and served with a relish and peanuts. My friend had the chicken fried steak, it was a huge rib eye steak breaded and fried, served with red eye gravy and fries. It was very delicious! I had several bites of it. The service was attentive and maybe a tad bit overbearing, but that is much better than being neglected. We had a very nice dinner and the price was very reasonable. $77 for a several sides and an entree plus drinks.