Photo

Taste of Sichuan

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

One more note on dinner tonight. I mentioned from last week's dinner how unusually good the rice was. This time the rice came in little individual bowls, and was much more the generic long grain not-too-flavorful variety that we find in almost any Chinese restaurant. I asked the server if there was a difference in the rice that came in the bamboo bucket, or the rice that came in the small cups like tonight. He said no, it just depends on the batch of rice, how long they cooked it, etc. So I guess they had something extra flavorful last week, but that wasn't the norm.

#22 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

Jennifer, thank you! So nice to see someone so thorough up on this. Much appreciated
breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

#23 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

Trekked out here for lunch today. It was fairly packed, but we didn't have to wait. Service is totally confused at this point, which I don't hold against them. They've just opened and I gathered from talking to a server that they were not expecting these crowds initially. If you go, be prepared for some confusion and delay.

Tried out their Dan Dan Noodles, but the hand shaved version. Noodles were excellent, but the sauce wasn't particularly flavorful. Could've used more of it as well. I solved that with the hot black bean paste. Also had their Chopped Pepper Hot Fish. The freshness of the fish was great. I would definitely like to try their whole fish preps, given the quality. Similar to the Dan Dan noodles, everything was a bit too muted. In this case of the fish, it definitely could have used more sichuan peppers and long beans.

The quality of the hand-shaven noodles in the Dan Dan was the only notable thing about this visit. There's promise here and I need to try many more dishes, especially seafood. It didn't blow me away on the first visit (whereas places like Grand Sichuan NY and Han Dynasty Philly did). I enjoyed my first visits to Lucky Strike more as well. I'll follow up with a dinner visit here in the next week or so.

Attached File  tos1.jpg   115.93K   7 downloads Attached File  tos2.jpg   88.39K   4 downloads

#24 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:19 PM

Trekked out here for lunch today. It was fairly packed, but we didn't have to wait. Service is totally confused at this point, which I don't hold against them. They've just opened and I gathered from talking to a server that they were not expecting these crowds initially. If you go, be prepared for some confusion and delay.

Tried out their Dan Dan Noodles, but the hand shaved version. Noodles were excellent, but the sauce wasn't particularly flavorful. Could've used more of it as well. I solved that with the hot black bean paste. Also had their Chopped Pepper Hot Fish. The freshness of the fish was great. I would definitely like to try their whole fish preps, given the quality. Similar to the Dan Dan noodles, everything was a bit too muted. In this case of the fish, it definitely could have used more sichuan peppers and long beans.

The quality of the hand-shaven noodles in the Dan Dan was the only notable thing about this visit. There's promise here and I need to try many more dishes, especially seafood. It didn't blow me away on the first visit (whereas places like Grand Sichuan NY and Han Dynasty Philly did). I enjoyed my first visits to Lucky Strike more as well. I'll follow up with a dinner visit here in the next week or so.

We plan to go back this weekend and try the whole steamed fish with black bean paste, and the hand-shaven noodles. Was going to try one more seafood prep as well. Our first visit wasn't good but the stir fried green beans and the lamb with scallions really won me over on our second visit. If you can handle the heat, try the swimming fire fish on your next visit.

This place might end up being similar to Golden Horse for us. A handful of dishes we really like, and stay away from the rest of the menu.

#25 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

I see that there's now a Groupon for Taste of Sichuan. I'm a little surprised they decided to do a Groupon so soon after opening, from what I hear they can be very overwhelming for even an established restaurant.

#26 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:07 AM

I see that there's now a Groupon for Taste of Sichuan. I'm a little surprised they decided to do a Groupon so soon after opening, from what I hear they can be very overwhelming for even an established restaurant.

And they sold like hotcakes. The weekend one was gone before I even checked my e-mail this morning. After the glowing review in the O and on this site, it was on my list of To Hit Next, so I snagged one too.

#27 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

This would rank 3rd on the list of things I think would set ToS back, right behind 'robbery' and 'kitchen fire'.

#28 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

This would rank 3rd on the list of things I think would set ToS back, right behind 'robbery' and 'kitchen fire'.

This.

but then again, Groupon and Robbery are somewhat synonymous.
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#29 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:15 PM

And they sold like hotcakes. The weekend one was gone before I even checked my e-mail this morning. After the glowing review in the O and on this site, it was on my list of To Hit Next, so I snagged one too.

The weekday Groupon is still out there. I just bought one.
http://www.groupon.c...t_purchase=true

#30 abang

abang
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:15 PM

Every time I go there for lunch and order a lunch special, the rice is cold. The fried rice had cold and hot spots making me think it was reheated in the microwave.

#31 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:56 AM

I had lunch there Thursday. I got there right at opening (11:30), so no problem getting seated (in fact, there were already several people there, so they must open a bit before 11:30). I got the XLB (exploding soup dumplings, xiao ling bao?). I didn't see them on the menu, and asked for them; they call them something like Hong Kong style dumplings. I got 10 in a steamer, for maybe $8? They tasted great. The skin was a little thick, so the pleated tops were a little doughy. Is this how they're supposed to be? Anyway, nice meaty, gingery filling, with the promised burst of liquid. The room filled up very quickly after I was seated. I'd like to try more dishes there, but only if I get there early enough!

#32 dagrassroots

dagrassroots
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

Based on my experiences with the Bellevue restaurant, here are some of the best dishes to order:
Swimming fire fish
Lamb with green peppers
Smoked pork with leeks
Chongqing Qing chicken
Dry cooked frog
Sichuan style crab
Kung pao chicken- Sichuan style
Pig ear in chili oil
Dishes with hand shaven noodles

#33 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

Great dinner tonight. They were out of the whole fish, which I've really been wanting to try. But we had:

Smoked pork with leeks
XLB
Egg flower and hot-and-sour soup cups
Dry cooked green beans
Hand shaven noodles with seafood
Fried rice
Tea

Smoked pork with leeks is a winner! Wasn't sure if it was bacon or pork belly, but it's very smoky, fatty and very good. I would've liked it if they used more of the white parts of the leeks vs the green. I needed more of the sharp onion-like flavor that doesn't really come from the green parts of the leeks. However, this is SO good.

Loved the hand-shaven noodles but I think I'd order it with vegetables, or something like that next time. The ratio of noodles-to-seafood was too heavy on the noodles and the seafood got lost in the dish. Flavor was great though, and I loved the toothy texture of these noodles.

Dry cooked green beans were just as great as last time. And the fried rice is also very good.

Soups were meh, as expected. I got the soup cup for the little one, and everyone else jumped in to order one then regretted it. She ate the 8 of the 10 XLB plus the cup of egg flower soup.

Got there at 7pm, wait time was 10 minutes. Service was slow SLOW tonight. The server was apologetic, turns out they usually have 4 cooks and 2 were out sick. Someone from another station subbed in to help cook. Well, the food was very good so whoever was cooking, it worked.

Total before tip was $50. Cheap and very good!

Looking forward to trying the whole fish with black bean sauce, the hand-shaven noodles with something else.

Does anyone know the difference between the hand-shaven noodle dishes and Cheng Du Hand Shaven Noodles?

EDIT: I just found a ton of pics from this place on yelp. The pepper salted wings look really good. http://www.yelp.com/...dWGqunicd4EvikQ

Looks like "cheng du" is dry noodles with a spicy sauce that you stir in.

#34 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

Tried Taste of Sichuan last week. It was definitely a mixed experience.

For the most part, I tried to play it safe with Jennifer's recommendations:
  • XLB
  • Dry cooked green beans
  • Lamb with scallions

also ordered:
  • rice and
  • Moo Shu Pork.

I've never been a fan of Moo Shu and after this version, I'll probably never eat it again.

The remaining dishes were very good; however, it was disappointing that the Lamb arrived first, on an ICE COLD plate. I touched the plate and I thought, is this supposed to be a cold dish? But no, the dish is a hot one - but not for long on that plate. The rice side dish didn't arrive until 5 - 10 minutes later, after repeated attempts to flag down a waiter.

Everything else arrived at the same time. Would have been nice if the XLB got there a little ahead of the others.

The Dry cooked green beans were ok. Not sure I'd get them again. I'd probably prefer a good plate of sauteed leafy greens, if they have that.

The XLB and the Lamb with scallions were excellent & full of flavor - yum, yum, yum!
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#35 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

Went for lunch today. Co-foodie and I ordered chong qing hot chicken, dried cooked string beans, salt & pepper prawns, and the soleful delight (as in fish).
Chong qing hot chicken-listed as one of their popular dishes and pictured on their website. If you enjoy the numbing spiciness of Szechuan peppercorn, this is the dish for you.
Dried cooked beans were as described per Jennifer in prior post and our version was sauteed lightly with black bean.
Salt & pepper prawns-prawns fried in a light, thin batter seasoned and accompanied with sliced onions, bell peppers.
Soleful delight-lightly fried sole pieces, sliced bell peppers and scallions dressed lightly with a sweetened glaze.
Although we over-ordered on fried foods I found none if it to be greasy, each dish had a distinctly different taste due to seasonings. We enjoyed all our dishes and ordering off the main menu (vs. lunch plate specials), the portions were substantial so we had quite a bit of food leftover. The rice was hot and fresh.

We arrived just before noon and the place filled up pretty quickly with some guests waiting a short time. The service was excellent and attentive. Tables were quickly cleared and set for the next customers. It seems that any inconveniences encountered by others early on may have been corrected.

If I lived in Beaverton, I'd be happy to try the many dishes offered here and make it my go to for Chinese. I had expressed to the waiter certain preferences in preparation and they appeared to accommodate my request.

#36 janeannechovy

janeannechovy
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

Our family ate dinner here last night, and way over-ordered and had plenty of leftovers for lunch today!

Appetizers: pot stickers, green onion pancakes and cold sichuan noodles. All three came with lots of chili oil, much too spicy for my younger kids. When I asked, they were able to produce a milder dipping sauce with lots of ginger that was good. The pancakes were a bit thick and doughy, but the noodles were great.

Entrees: chicken chow mein (typical bland flavor, but again, really nice noodles--perfect for the little kids), prawns in black bean sauce (for my 11-year-old), beef with string beans (for me), kung pao chicken sichuan style (for my husband). All were very good, and we got the rice in the stainless-lined bamboo tub, and it was also really good, even leftover today. Usually leftover takeout rice is dry and hard, but this was perfect.

Definitely some place we'll go again should circumstances require us to be in that neck of the woods at dinnertime.

#37 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

FYI: http://www.seattlewe...s-chinese-void/

Someone (christy319) posted this to the Portland Chowhound board (http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/828491), and also posted these recs:

HIGHLY recommend:Swimming Fire Fish--one of my absolute favorite dishes anywhere, and by far my favorite version of this dish compared to other Sichuan places in NYC, SF, LA (it's usually called "fish in water" or "boiled fish" elsewhere)
Soleful Delight--another phenomenal dish (basically deep fried fish pieces with Sichuan peppercorn in the crust)
Szechuan Crab

Most things on the "wild side" menu are good. I have other favorites--pea vines with garlic, hot pepper shredded potato, sizzling rice squares...too many to name, really. Their "other parts of the pig" dish was just names one of the 100 best things to eat in Seattle.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#38 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

Honestly, none of these places are in the same league as Sichuan places in NYC/SF/LA. I'd also add a handful of other U.S. cities to that list.

I like Lucky Strike > Szechuan Chef > Taste of Szechuan in that order, but none of them are above average. The hot oil fish at any Grand Sichuan location in NYC blows our local versions away.

#39 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

FWIW I've had the Szechuan/chile Crab at both Taste and Chef and prefer Taste's version.

#40 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

They just opened a place in the Couv.  Appears to be in the old Hungry Tiger spot in the Big Al's larking lot. I'll go today.

Groupon here:

http://groupon.com/b...&utm_medium=bwf