• Please log in to reply
1096 replies to this topic

#161 JandJ

JandJ
  • Members
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Great food.

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

So, let's see... we seem to have covered beer and music in great detail. Any chance you'll also be serving food at the new place? Anything you might share on that? Just asking'...

He dicusses the food on pages 5&6 but states that until all the equipment is in allowing to figure out the production logistics there isn't a menu to show.

My bad, thanks. Obviously didn't read back far enough. Curious thread, nevertheless.

#162 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

Oops, I made a near fatal mistake in my beer rec! The great Kolsch is the Tailgater from Flat Tail Brewing in Corvallis. I got something else from Hop Valley in Springfield and mixed them up in my mind. Another EXCELLENT food beer is the non-local but stellar Boulevard Brewing Pilsner (recently on sale at New Seasons!). I had both of these beverages last night with a spicy green chili (authenticated from New Mexico) turkey burger.
Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#163 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

The competition...

http://www.thrillist...X/video/2358264

#164 LionRock

LionRock
  • Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

The competition...

Based on the Robo Taco menu that I saw, it seems like the concept/style of food is pretty different then the Mexico City-style stuff that I'm expecting to see at MMM.

#165 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

The competition...

Based on the Robo Taco menu that I saw, it seems like the concept/style of food is pretty different then the Mexico City-style stuff that I'm expecting to see at MMM.

You're right of course. I was just really liking the al pastor spit and hoping that Nick might consider one eventually for MMM.

#166 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

A place really needs to be dedicated to al pastor and consistently busy to do it right. Otherwise, you end up with meat that's marinated, cooked, and then re-heated because it didn't get eaten. Or you end up with an illness. That's part of the reason even the popular taquerias like Ochoa often only do real al pastor on the trompo on weekends.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#167 vrunka

vrunka
  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

Not to pester you or anything... but do you have an opening update?

#168 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

I'm waiting for the seating to be finished. Some of that I'm doing (I'm doing the tabletops), but the main thing are the benches which got started a week late and are taking longer than I had hoped.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#169 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:45 AM

Such a chill Latin hip hop song that anyone who speaks a lick of Spanish (excuse the pun) will see why I probably shouldn't play it (or any of their other stuff), but I'm not the smartest guy:

btw, just added:

Cafe Tacuba, Cuatro Caminos
Zoe, Unplugged
Ely Guerra, Hombre Invisible
Mano Negra, Casa Babylon
Los Odio, Los Odio!
Fobia, Wow 87-04

#170 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

Nice piece by Portland Monthly Eat beat here:

http://www.portlandm...-november-2011/

Here's some new info:

A while back you mentioned special bean plansódid that pan out?Yes! I am going to serve (and sell to-go) Rancho Gordo beans, probably the premiere grower and seller of beans in the country, especially Mexican beans. I donít believe anyone else in Portland carries them. Iíve been an online friend with Steve Sando, the owner, for years through sites like Mouthfuls Food and eGullet. Weíve been talking Mexican food for nearly a decade now. His beans are fantastic and heís doing a great service finding heirloom beans in Mexico and preserving them.

and

One of the things that will set Mi Mero Mole apart, even from really good places like de Leon, will be the variety. I already have several dozen recipes developed and expect to rotate through* 50 to 100 different guisados* in the first year.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#171 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Great interview, can't wait for tacos. You're the Andy Ricker of Mexican food!

#172 malatesta

malatesta
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

Nice piece by Portland Monthly Eat beat here:

http://www.portlandm...-november-2011/

Here's some new info:

A while back you mentioned special bean plansódid that pan out?Yes! I am going to serve (and sell to-go) Rancho Gordo beans, probably the premiere grower and seller of beans in the country, especially Mexican beans. I donít believe anyone else in Portland carries them. Iíve been an online friend with Steve Sando, the owner, for years through sites like Mouthfuls Food and eGullet. Weíve been talking Mexican food for nearly a decade now. His beans are fantastic and heís doing a great service finding heirloom beans in Mexico and preserving them.

and

One of the things that will set Mi Mero Mole apart, even from really good places like de Leon, will be the variety. I already have several dozen recipes developed and expect to rotate through* 50 to 100 different guisados* in the first year.

Pastaworks carries Rancho Gordo beans.

#173 vj

vj
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:51 PM

I think Foster & Dobbs might as well. But still, go Zuke!

#174 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

Any idea of price per taco yet?

..and you got them damn seats done.. ;)

#175 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

Seats are going to be installed either Monday or early Tuesday. It keeps draaaaaging out. Price per taco will be at the upper end. I'm thinking $2.50 / $2.75 / $3.25 right now - Vegetarian / Meat / Seafood. But I need to cost everything out still.

#176 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

Here's a question: burritos or no burritos? Discuss.

#177 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

Since you are now using the "A" word, that being "Authentic," I think you should stick to it and serve the food as it is intended to be served. If that includes burritos, then so be it, but I don't have the sense that's the case.
Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#178 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:31 PM

No, it's not authentic for this style of food. But I might as well explain WHY I'm considering it: 1) people much prefer burritos over tacos to-go, 2) some people just don't like the taste of corn; it's a cultural preference for wheat over corn.

#179 vj

vj
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:54 PM

I like the tex-mex approach of flour tortillas with tacos. No opinion either way about burritos. Just excited about the thought of eating guisados!

#180 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:48 AM

Likely the wrong group to ask. I doubt many of us who squee about guisados actually care much about burrito availability. If you had them, it would not bother me. I might order one at some point. If they make you money and don't submarine the rest of the menu, roll em up.