Mi Mero Mole

• Please log in to reply
1114 replies to this topic

#1101 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:16 AM

I can't believe I missed this! Good job! 

#1102 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:36 PM

mmm tacos. Our team lunch on friday consisted of a nice variety of tacos from MMM chinatown. We also had some platanos fritos (first time i've gotten them), and chips+salsa+guac. Everything was spot on. I'm obsessed with the chicken tinga right now. 

(modern signature COMING SOON)

#1103 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

mmm tacos. Our team lunch on friday consisted of a nice variety of tacos from MMM chinatown. We also had some platanos fritos (first time i've gotten them), and chips+salsa+guac. Everything was spot on. I'm obsessed with the chicken tinga right now. 

This conversation is has made me mighty hungry. I think I'm going to Chinatown MMM tomorrow for some tacos!

#1104 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:10 PM

Great lunch today at MMM.  Had a long conversation with Nick about the ins-and-outs of masa-fication, with a cameo appearance by Crepeguy and Mrs. Crepeguy.

Nick helped me to order 4: Rajas con crema, lengua ahumada (smoked tongue), borrego ahumado en mole negro (smoked lamb in black mole), and Chicken salsa verde.  The tortillas are a very different style than my east LA favorites, but I agree that they were very well constructed.  Tender, pliable, a little stretchy, with not a hint of flaking or tearing.  Certainly up to the task of containing the rather generous portion of guisado.  The tacos are considerable larger than the $1.25 lonchero street tacos I'm used to (two bites max)- never had a tongue taco where the dice was larger than 1/2 cm.  Loved the smokiness in the meat-- particular with the lamb, which was unapologetically lamby and stood up well to the smoke and strong mole, whereas the flavor of the tongue kind of got lost in the smoke.  All of it was delicious, (tongue was ever so slightly too salty), all of the meat was incredibly juicy.  And at $12.50, a very good deal.  I'll certainly be back, with my Lovely Tasting Assistant™ in tow.

Mr Taster

#1105 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:09 PM

The lamb in mole is one of my favorites. Also be sure to sign up for Nick's e-mails as he often does holiday takeout themes and such. I keep frozen tamales on hand at all times. 20 min in the pressure cooker, done.

#1106 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

oh and Nick, when's Huitlacoche season?!? That canned stuff don't cut it.

#1107 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:59 PM

There is no huitlacoche season in Oregon because no one harvests it. 

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#1108 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:28 PM

Great lunch today at MMM.  Had a long conversation with Nick about the ins-and-outs of masa-fication, with a cameo appearance by Crepeguy and Mrs. Crepeguy.

Mr Taster

It was wonderful to meet you Mr Taster, I hope we can dine out together in the future. Also, we did get the compilmentary coffee mug at Penzey’s, thank you! Welcome to Portland.

#1109 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:59 PM

OK, new suggestion.

Taste of Sichuan where I can impress you all with my 2nd grade level grasp of Mandarin.

Crepeguy & Mrs. Crepeguy, what do you say? Others can join in if they like.

This is pretty far off topic so individuals who are interested, please pm me.

Mr Taster

#1110 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:26 AM

I go weekly to the Vancouver location. I've been meaning to upload pics but haven't

#1111 vj

vj
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:30 PM

Hey Mr. Taster -

if you're serious about doing an event (and I really hope you are), please create a new thread for it, okay? 

i'm sure you'll get a lot of response, and interested folks. I for one would love to go to Taste of Sichuan or Sichuan Chef...

#1112 vj

vj
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:53 AM

Thanks, Pollo Elastico... and nervousxtian, do you mean Tienda De Leon, 16223 NE Glisan St, Portland, OR 97230?

#1113 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:12 PM

Supermercado Mexico is on 174th and Division. (Also in Hillsboro in the old Su Casa space.)  They don't make masa but they have nice pollos asados, guisados, and some of the best Mexican breads in town, along with a good selection of groceries. 

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#1114 vj

vj
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

Okay guys, I've done some house cleaning (oops, housekeeping) and moved some of the off-topic stuff out of this thread

#1115 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:37 AM

Nick, your farmers market quesadilla using chicharron de queso (crispy cheese) instead of a tortilla looks brilliant!

Is this a new item I can order?