• Please log in to reply
1114 replies to this topic

#21 iheartfromage

iheartfromage
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

This is off-topic (although I'm very excited about ExtraMSG's new venture):

Does anyone know the latest about Kim Boyce's bakery on Sandy? No word about it on her FB page and I haven't seen any coverage since an article somewhere proclaimed that she was hoping to open in July...

#22 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, Division really needs more really good restaurants...a real dearth in the area.

Jimminy.....we're DYING here in NoPo....please...something...ANYTHING!!! Is there no hope?!?!?

Sorry, still hurting Tanuki not getting the MLK/Fremont.

Congrats on the new place. I'm sure it will rule.

No sympathy. You have tons of great stuff in NoPo. Killingsworth & 30th: DOC, Autentica, Yakuza and so on. Then Podnah's, FOTM and more. And Kim Boyce's bakery going in on 50-something and Sandy, pho places, the $1/lb Chinese noodle shop, Gartners, the works.

You'll just have to drive over to Mi Mero Mole like we Westsiders will be doing. At least you won't have to cross bridge traffic to get there.

Those places are all in NE Portland - really there is a difference between NEPO and NOPO - no one confuses SW & SE Portland and really there's quite a bit of difference. North Portland lost Little Red Bike Cafe, but they still have Mississippi Ave and the West Side of Williams Ave.

#23 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:38 PM

Yeah, Division really needs more really good restaurants...a real dearth in the area.

Jimminy.....we're DYING here in NoPo....please...something...ANYTHING!!! Is there no hope?!?!?

Sorry, still hurting Tanuki not getting the MLK/Fremont.

Congrats on the new place. I'm sure it will rule.

No sympathy. You have tons of great stuff in NoPo. Killingsworth & 30th: DOC, Autentica, Yakuza and so on. Then Podnah's, FOTM and more. And Kim Boyce's bakery going in on 50-something and Sandy, pho places, the $1/lb Chinese noodle shop, Gartners, the works.

You'll just have to drive over to Mi Mero Mole like we Westsiders will be doing. At least you won't have to cross bridge traffic to get there.

Those places are all in NE Portland - really there is a difference between NEPO and NOPO - no one confuses SW & SE Portland and really there's quite a bit of difference. North Portland lost Little Red Bike Cafe, but they still have Mississippi Ave and the West Side of Williams Ave.

I'd forgotten totally about Mississippi & Williams. So even if you count out NE, Mississippi & Williams are huge scores and should hardly be discounted to complaining about nothing in NoPo. I'd take those offerings in a heartbeat!

Anyway, it's just a drive. We do several times/week. SE, NE, NoPo, all over. And we'll drive it no prob for Mi Mero Mole.

#24 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

What is the meaning of the name? I'm not familiar with mero.

It's like saying "my bag" or "my cup of tea". It literally means "my own mole". Googled. Here's a good explanation on a fun site:

http://swearindf.blo...-mero-mole.html

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#25 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

It's like saying "my bag" or "my cup of tea". It literally means "my own mole". Googled. Here's a good explanation on a fun site:

What a great name! I like the layered meaning.
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#26 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

Division?

Great, I pass it twice a day on my commute. Or I should say: it's possible for me to pass it twice a day.

Really looking forward to this. Really, really, really looking forward to this.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#27 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:41 AM

Good luck, Nick! I really hope this comes through for you.

#28 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

Really looking forward to this. Really, really, really looking forward to this.

-sacman

What he said.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#29 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

Congratulations and best of luck with the licensing process. Will you be serving that wonderful squash blossom guisado (I think that's what it's called)? Hope so.

#30 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

Shh, the menu is a secret. ;)

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#31 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:26 PM

Which makes me jealous for not having thought of just calling my place "My Fucking Sake Bar".
My hat is off to you sir.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#32 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

Which makes me jealous for not having thought of just calling my place "My Fucking Sake Bar".

How about: "Don't Sip It, Suck It, Sake Bar"

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#33 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

Hola,

Even if you're already settled on the name Tanuki, that's no reason not to make T-shirts which also read "My Fucking Sake Bar". Maybe have the name, a logo and an address in the upper left part of the front (sobre el corazón) and then "My Fucking Sake Bar" on the back. Maybe a black shirt with white text, or a red shirt with light gray lettering...whatever colors you favor and a combination of figure/ground that would be stylish and attractive. Done right, I'm sure that would be a hit. Hell, you might even offend some folks.

There's no such thing as bad publicity, and *everybody* likes T-shirts.

#34 Dionysus

Dionysus
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

Looking very forward checking your place out MSG!

#35 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

Congratulations, and although said many times, really, really looking forward to this!

#36 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

Really excited for you, Nick (and for the rest of us too!). I'll keep my fingers crossed over here.

#37 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:22 AM

Hola,

Even if you're already settled on the name Tanuki, that's no reason not to make T-shirts which also read "My Fucking Sake Bar". Maybe have the name, a logo and an address in the upper left part of the front (sobre el corazón) and then "My Fucking Sake Bar" on the back. Maybe a black shirt with white text, or a red shirt with light gray lettering...whatever colors you favor and a combination of figure/ground that would be stylish and attractive. Done right, I'm sure that would be a hit. Hell, you might even offend some folks.

There's no such thing as bad publicity, and *everybody* likes T-shirts.

The tshirts I sell already are far more profane even than that B)
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#38 m5570

m5570
  • Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:16 AM

Are you going to do goat? Pastor on a vertical spit?

#39 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

"...Pastor on a vertical spit..."

Heh.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#40 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

Wow! 2 pages and this place isn't even f*cking open yet! :)
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls