Steak & Lobster

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

Kind of odd for me to be posting such a thing, but I had a difficult time believing it's true. According to Snopes, it is. Here's the link:

http://www.snopes.co...gns/receipt.asp

Best regards,

Amanda

#2 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

Not surprised, this kind of stuff happens all the time. I was at Winco the other day and they bought their beer with cash and jumbo packs of t-bone steaks with their Oregon Trail card.

A lot of people sale their food stamps.

#3 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

It does say that he turned around and sold that stuff for 50% of the purchase price...which is illegal, and that is why he was caught. This isn't a case of someone just using food stamps to live the high life, but it is probably the case of someone using food stamps to get high.

It was illegal, he got arrested for it...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#4 ppilot

ppilot
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:39 PM

One of my old roommates was on food stamps and would regularly spend over $180 at New Seasons using his Oregon trail card. Not going to lie...it kinda pissed me off as he doesn't have a job or even wants one.

#5 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:17 AM

I think most people who use food stamps or an Oregon Trail card probably really need it to help feed their families. At least I sure want to believe that.

In the past I've been called to task for commenting flippantly about "freeloaders on the dole", but I was corrected. Some of my favorite people were raised by single moms who were working their butts off and still needed assistance. That helping hand got them through life as children. It's a point of view I was blind to. There are a lot of hungry people out there who use public assistance in the manner it was intended.

I'm thinking and hoping these jokers who abuse the system are few and far in between. Please God. Let it be so.

Best regards,

Amanda

#6 gturillo

gturillo
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

Recently I was propositioned by 2 ratty looking young men while I was at Whole Foods in the Pearl. They told me that each month when they got their money they offered customers a deal: they would like to buy your groceries for you on their trail cards and you would give them cash. The amount of cash you gave them would not be equal to the amount of money actually spent on groceries... you would get a "discount".

I told them what they were asking me to do was illegal and that they should leave the store.

They did not leave. I saw them approaching several other customers. There were Whole Foods employees in the area watching the young men and they made no attempt to stop them.

What should I have done? Said "Ya I'll help! Let me see your cards..." Then kept the cards? Brought them to the manager? Called the police?

I sent an email to SNAP & Whole Foods with the same information that I have included in this post. Should be interesting to see what the responses are.

#7 gturillo

gturillo
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

Recently I was propositioned by 2 ratty looking young men while I was at Whole Foods in the Pearl. They told me that each month when they got their money they offered customers a deal: they would like to buy your groceries for you on their trail cards and you would give them cash. The amount of cash you gave them would not be equal to the amount of money actually spent on groceries... you would get a "discount".

I told them what they were asking me to do was illegal and that they should leave the store.

They did not leave. I saw them approaching several other customers. There were Whole Foods employees in the area watching the young men and they made no attempt to stop them.

What should I have done? Said "Ya I'll help! Let me see your cards..." Then kept the cards? Brought them to the manager? Called the police?

I sent an email to SNAP & Whole Foods with the same information that I have included in this post. Should be interesting to see what the responses are.

UPDATE:

NO REPLY from Whole Foods

The reply from SNAP:

"I appreciate your concern about this situation and believe your response to the individual was correct as selling their Oregon Trail card is illegal. In addition, if there were a manager or security person on the floor you could also have pointed the person out to them as it would seem in the interest of Whole Foods not to have this type of activity occurring in their store.

If you did have a name you can send it to us as we do try to pursue action when we have the name of the individual who is attempting to sell their card, however, we don't expect the public in general to try and identify these folks.

Thanks again for your concern and report.

SNAP Policy Analyst"

I did reply to that email & asked them what they were ACTIVELY doing to prevent fraud. Here is their response:

We take fraud seriously as does the federal agency. Our fraud unit keeps an eye on how benefits are used and looks for patterns in how benefits are used. Selling an EBT card is a class C felony and we do have cases in the courts and others where the clients have been disqualified for trafficking.

That said, it is still difficult to monitor every situation particularly when we don't have a client named attached to the incident.

#8 HamSa

HamSa
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

And in Oregon SNAP is used to purchase Starbucks! LOL

http://www.kptv.com/...-for?hpt=us_bn7