8 replies to this topic

#1 gturillo

gturillo
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

Make money from your cookbook shelf, check out the article at eatocracy:
http://eatocracy.cnn...helf/?hpt=hp_c2

What's the most you've paid for a cookbook?
<$25
$26-$50
$51-$75
$76-$100
$100+

I fall in the $26-$50 category.

#2 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:14 AM

I'm also in the $26 - $50 range.
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#3 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

I'm all over the place, from used for cheap from half.com up to the $100 to $150 book I would pick up anually at the world pastry forum. I looked at the El Bulli book one year but didn't want to pack it on the plane.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#4 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:32 AM

Forget about how much you've paid...how much would you like to be paid for your old ones? I rarely use a whole lot of the cookbooks I own, so in an effort to clean up, I, well, cleaned up selling them to Amazon. I don't want to hijack the thread, but if you have ones that you no longer use, sell them back!

http://www.amazon.co...V3VC6C8C0HF8DJT

It all started with a sidebar ad from amazon while I was shopping. It showed a book that I had purchased from them (Bittman's Vegetarian), saying that I could get $6.87 back for my copy. Well, I had given that one as a gift, but I did have a whole lot of other cookbooks that I no longer used. So I started typing in ISBNs and started raking in $$.

They seem to pay a lot for vegetarian and ethnic cookbooks, of which I had tons. They pay you in gift certificates which they automatically keep track of for you. THEY pay the shipping. If they don't like the condition, they will send it back to you for free as well.

In addition, they will pay a huge amount for games (like wii, pc). They also buy back used electronics and dvds.

#5 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

Forget about how much you've paid...how much would you like to be paid for your old ones? I rarely use a whole lot of the cookbooks I own, so in an effort to clean up, I, well, cleaned up selling them to Amazon. I don't want to hijack the thread, but if you have ones that you no longer use, sell them back!

http://www.amazon.co...V3VC6C8C0HF8DJT

It all started with a sidebar ad from amazon while I was shopping. It showed a book that I had purchased from them (Bittman's Vegetarian), saying that I could get $6.87 back for my copy. Well, I had given that one as a gift, but I did have a whole lot of other cookbooks that I no longer used. So I started typing in ISBNs and started raking in $$.

They seem to pay a lot for vegetarian and ethnic cookbooks, of which I had tons. They pay you in gift certificates which they automatically keep track of for you. THEY pay the shipping. If they don't like the condition, they will send it back to you for free as well.

In addition, they will pay a huge amount for games (like wii, pc). They also buy back used electronics and dvds.

WOW, total bummer! I brought boxes of cookbooks to Goodwill about a year ago. Sigh. I'll keep this in mind though, what a great find!

#6 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

After seeing what my sister goes through as an affiliate I wonder if this is the easiest way to dispose of excess books while still getting back enough of your investment. She has to list the book, document any flaws, send out packages weekly, and deal with scum who claim it was lost or didn't match the description (Amazon always sides with the customer so there's a subset of scammers getting free books this way). It's a huge PITA and nothing I could imagine spending time doing. What you're describing sounds a lot better.

#7 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

It's not a huge amount, like $4-$8 a book. Most of the paperback fiction that I have been purging is only getting $2-$4. I bet your sister is getting much more for them, Sarah. I am just doing it to keep from succumbing to the hoarder in me and for Kindle Kash. Amazon now has a ton of travel books on Kindle....and my luggage load has lightened!

BTW, I am on my fifth or sixth order of selling back to them and they haven't rejected anything yet.

#8 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:12 PM

I doubt it - competition is such that she doesn't get much more than that. It takes months for books to sell and 20 to 30 min each to list and package them. Unless you already have sunk costs like bulk shipping supplies already purchased, are unemployed and have unlimited amounts of time, or want cash, I think this is the more sensible option. I'm definitely going to go through my duplicates pile and look through for books to get rid of - some Kindle $$$ would be nice. She often makes more from the shipping allotment than the book price.

And once CA passes the sales tax for Amazon, they've made it clear that they won't allow folks like my sister to stay on as Amazon affiliates.

#9 bwolff

bwolff
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

I'm pretty sure I paid over 200 for the Fat Duck book. Still debating Moderist Cuisine down to $477 from $625. I understand virtually every page calls for sous vide cooking and I haven't bit the bullet on that yet.

Vast majority of my books have been in the $10-20 range. I saw Costco had French Laundry (and Ad Hoc but FL is much much better) marked down pretty dramatically.