Photo

Tell me your best BBQ Baby Back Rib recipes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spyder1

spyder1
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Open wheel racing, Indy Car, Champ Car, Formula One, MotoGP, ALMS, GrandAm.....anything but NASCAR!<br /><br />Skydiving<br />Rock Climbing<br />Hiking<br />Travel<br /><br />Trying new and interesting foods and drinks.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

Looking for some good recipes and best ways to cook baby back ribs with out a smoker since I do not have one. The recipe I use is below, but always looking for new ideas.

I rub the ribs down with a rub
wrap them in a double wrap of foil with 3 ice cubes on top and 3 on the bottom.
place them on a grill that is around 200-250 degrees and grill each side for 30 minutes
take them out of the foil and grill each side again and slop on sauce as needed.

#2 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

Here's my version...one that does not use a grill, as all I have is a small one. I use a rub from Penzey's (BBQ 300). Wrap in foil, low and slow in the oven, finish with sauce (something thrown together or pre-made) under my FLAME-ON broiler.

Voila...BBQ ribs w/o a grill.

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

This is an outdoor grill or an indoor grill? If outdoor, why not simulate smoking, like this?

http://www.amazingri...rill_setup.html

If indoor grill, I'd rather just bake them. If you want to get some smokiness, you can use a smoked paprika in the rub. Or you can par-boil/braise them in a mixture of water and liquid smoke, then dry them off, rub them and bake or grill at a high enough temp to get a decent bark.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 pyrofemme

pyrofemme
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

We've used the par-boil method that Nick mentioned before with success.

#5 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

Nothing particularly innovative, but here's my fake-a-smoker method...

Brine the ribs for an hour. Pat dry. Rub with your favorite spice rub. Let them sit in the fridge for another hour.

Soak some wood chunks if you've got 'em. Pile all your coals on one side of the grill and throw a couple wood chunks on.

Put the ribs on the cool side of the grill and cook until coals run low (probably about 2 hours), rotating/swapping every half hour so none get burnt.

When coals begin to run low, pile on another two or three handfuls and a couple more wood chunks. Cook another two hours(ish), rotating/flipping/swapping as needed.

Wrap in foil and let stand for one hour.

Cut apart and serve dry with sauce on the side.

#6 HappyHourHero

HappyHourHero
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

When I am not smoking, I apply dry rub, and let them sit for an hour or so. Then I make a glaze with honey, mustard, and spices. I apply that and sear it on at high heat to form a barky type crust. Then I wrap it in foil and slow cook it for around 2 hours, before removing it turning the heat up a bit and basting with BBQ sauce. It is similar to your recipe with the addition to the glaze, which I find adds an additional layer of flavor.

#7 jessicameilly

jessicameilly
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:49 AM

Try this recipe..

BABY BACK BBQ RIBS

2 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. paprika
4 tbsp. granulated garlic
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cumin seed
1 tsp. Durkee Ancho pepper
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. black pepper

Combine ingredients well and rub on ribs.

General Instructions for Preparing Ribs

Using the back of a knife or a butter knife, remove membrane from ribs by sliding knife underneath and peeling back the membrane on the back. Season ribs all over with rub, concentrating on the meatier portions and rubbing seasonings well into the ribs.

Cook ribs over indirect heat (250F-300F) for 3-4 hours. Hickory, mesquite, apple or other fruit wood may soaked in water and tossed in small quantities over the hot coals periodically during the cooking in order to impart a smoky flavor. You will need to also add more charcoal to the fire as the cooking progresses in order to maintain temperature.

After 3 or 4 hours of slow barbequing, arrange the ribs on a shallow-sided disposable aluminum pan and mop them on both sides with the mixture below. Cook for another hour, mop again, turn. Baste the ribs and check the coals at least once every hour for the next 3-4 hours.

Baste on both sides well with your preferred BBQ sauce (we make our own molasses-based sauce), sprinkle lightly with garlic and onion powder, and wrap each rack of ribs well (straight from the grill) in heavy duty aluminum foil. Allow to rest in the foil for 30 minutes. If the coals are nearly out by now, it's ok to rest the ribs on the edges of the grill away from the coals.

When ribs are done, they will be fall-off-the-bone tender, and the meat will have shrunken away from the ends of the bone by 1/4-inch or so.

Total cooking time is approximately 4-8 hours but this will vary according to your grill and the size of the rib rack (s) being cooked. The ribs are done when falling-off-the-bone tender and you just can't wait any longer!

MOP:

1 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon garlic
1 cup water
3 tablespoons soy sauce