Lobster Rolls in PDX?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LionRock

LionRock
  • Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

I noticed in the Otto thread that they have a Lobster Roll on their menu. Does anywhere else in town offer them? I've had a bit of a craving recently and I don't remember ever seeing them on a menu here.

(not that I don't want to check out Otto, I'm just interested in other possible options.)

#2 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:10 AM

Ok, now it's bugging me. I thought Dan and Louis' might, but no. Also checked Heathman, London Grill, Southpark, M+S chains, etc. No dice.

#3 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

I adore lobster rolls and I really hope you find one! Best part of a recent business trip to the East Coast for a conference was the food. Had a great one at Legal Seafood in the Boston airport last Wednesday along with two nights of amazing Burmese food (delivered! no rental car) in Gaithersburg, MD. The traditional split top roll is so important and the lobster was very fresh and sweet. The celery mayo was unobtrusive.

Posted Image

#4 smittypdx

smittypdx
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:05 PM

Hmmmm...I've never seen one around town, but the Knuckle Sandwich at 50 plates might be getting close:

"Maine lobster salad, buttered mini roll 5 "

Never had it, so I can't speak to quality or authenticity. Here's a shot of it via Banana Wonder: Knuckle Sandwich

#5 pyrofemme

pyrofemme
  • Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

I haven't had an authentic lobster roll but I can tell you that the tiny little one at 50 plates is buttery and delicious. I could probably eat a lot of those.

#6 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

Video from the Lobster Roll Rumble in NYC last week:

http://www.huffingto...s_n_878423.html

#7 ducky

ducky
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

Had my first at Poseidon last night. They have them on the happy hour menu. I expected lobster rolls to be kinda gloppy and heavy on mayo from pictures of them but this wasn't at all. Soft roll and big chunks of lobster, lightly dressed. Now I understand the fascination with them. They're sooo good! :drool:
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#8 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:55 AM

Had my first at Poseidon last night. They have them on the happy hour menu. I expected lobster rolls to be kinda gloppy and heavy on mayo from pictures of them but this wasn't at all. Soft roll and big chunks of lobster, lightly dressed. Now I understand the fascination with them. They're sooo good! :drool:

website is a little lacking. how big was it, how much did you pay, and what are the HH hours (if you remember)? thanks!
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#9 anotherdavid

anotherdavid
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:28 AM

There are 2 styles; Maine (with mayo) and Connecticut (warm with butter). The first is more common. Sounds like Poseidon is worth a visit.

#10 skyway1

skyway1
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

Anyone try the lobster rolls from this cart http://hotboxxpdx.com/Menu.html ? Wife has been wanting to try it out but haven't had the time to do it.

#11 RachelWithAnR

RachelWithAnR
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

I will always try a lobster roll, but my main problem with getting them outside of New England is the difficulty finding the traditional top-loading hot dog bun you get there. They are crucial-- that way, both sides of the bun get nicely toasted and crispy, and the bread doesn't overwhelm the lobster meat. Do any of the places serving them in Portland have buns like that?

The best lobster rolls I've had are at lobster pound stands just off the road in Maine, with almost a 1/2 lb of meat, just a touch of mayonnaise, and nothing else. Had a pretty good one in L.A. at Son of a Gun, but I'll have to check some of the local ones out.

#12 Joedo6

Joedo6
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:41 AM

Per their website a few weeks back, Ruth's Chris may have a lobster roll on their happy hour menu, although I can't personally confirm.

#13 ducky

ducky
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

website is a little lacking. how big was it, how much did you pay, and what are the HH hours (if you remember)? thanks!

Should have written down hours and $ and didn't because I was busy with my dining companion. I wanna say it was about a 3x5 inch roll. Everything on the happy hour menu was 3.95 to 6.95 but I don't remember where it fell price wise.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#14 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

Anyone try the lobster rolls from this cart http://hotboxxpdx.com/Menu.html ? Wife has been wanting to try it out but haven't had the time to do it.

They are in the pod (Green Castle) that is closing this week. So call first to see where they might be if you are planning a trip!
Never give up! Never surrender!