Photo

Stumptown Coffee Has Been Sold

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 alicia

alicia
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:food, family, sleeping, cameras.

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:45 AM

the only time i've been to extracto, the barista was a total dickhead to me. i've never had anyone be mean at stumptown, even before we knew people who worked there. for what it's worth, baristas aren't supposed to touch the lids of personal cups as far as i know, for health code purposes? i don't know, i grab them and touch them all the time without thinking about it. shh!

i am totally biased because my husband is an employee and i serve their coffee. i think the coffee is very good and the baristas are extremely well-trained. as someone who doesn't drink drip coffee, i think that makes all the difference for me, and always has. there are plenty of small roasters in town, but the cafes who serve them are doing their beans a disservice if they're not adequately trained. that said, there are PLENTY of wholesale stumptown accounts that need more training for their baristas. lots of places butcher their coffee, it sucks. (no comment on the cafe i work at, haw haw.)

as far as the "small batch" roasting thing goes, seriously? stumptown roasts in batches that are not quite big enough to fill a medium sized garbage can, and still manages to keep the portland area (and some of the bay area, and seattle) caffeinated. i think that's pretty awesome. it's not 5 pound batches (which sounds like kind of a waste of time and energy) but it's still pretty small considering the scale of their distribution.

okay, i'll stop there.

#22 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

stumptown roasts in batches that are not quite big enough to fill a medium sized garbage can, and still manages to keep the portland area (and some of the bay area, and seattle) caffeinated.

and Brooklyn...

#23 alicia

alicia
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:34 AM

yeah, i mean the fact that it's just a handful of guys working in small batches to make all that coffee is pretty goddamn amazing, if you ask me. seattle is roasting now, and the places that serve stumptown in SF are in the process of switching over to roasting their own, and i'm sure they'll be roasting in NY, but seriously- i think it's pretty neat.

i think people get bent out of shape about stumptown because of the hipness factor- especially when it comes to customer-barista interactions. i've never had a bad experience but i wouldn't be surprised if other people did. but it's like- people will go in there and demand a bunch of crap they don't have, and then get pissy when the baristas say "sorry, we don't have 20 ounce white chocolate peppermint mochas." i'm not saying anyone HERE is like that- but i know it happens, and it just contributes to the reputation that the baristas are assholes, when in reality they're just doing their job. the other day a lady came into my work and just pointed outside to her group of friends and said, "uh, one of them wants a 'mocha?' what is that? i mean that could be anything, right?" in a really snotty tone. and i was completely unable to hide my annoyance- i just stared at her blankly and said "uh... no, a MOCHA is a MOCHA. do you know what size they want?" and she got all irritated and said "jeez, i'll just go get him." she probably walked out thinking i was a total asshole because i didn't really have the time or energy to coddle her into making a decision, but the reality is that she was a complete idiot. she might go tell all her friends that the baristas at my shop are assholes, and then we might get a reputation for being assholes. blah blah blah. i think i'm pretty nice considering the amount of stupidity that is thrown at me every time i'm at work. i can't even imagine working at a stumptown and having people freak out because they don't have marshmallow syrup or something.

#24 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:54 AM

as far as the "small batch" roasting thing goes, seriously? stumptown roasts in batches that are not quite big enough to fill a medium sized garbage can, and still manages to keep the portland area (and some of the bay area, and seattle) caffeinated. i think that's pretty awesome. it's not 5 pound batches (which sounds like kind of a waste of time and energy) but it's still pretty small considering the scale of their distribution.

5lbs would be a waste in a roaster of the size that stumptown uses. The place I am refering to, 5lbs is as big as the machine is! its actually really cool.....
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#25 Nettie

Nettie
  • Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

the question I forgot to ask: where's Extracto?

NE 30th and Killingsworth

#26 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

oh yeah, the place I get my coffee before/after I eat at Autentica. I know someone mentioned Cafe Umbria as a good local roastery, maybe it's how Autentica brews their coffee, but it doesn't do it for me.

#27 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:48 PM

Oh, well for small batch roasters, I like Courier a lot, and also Blue Gardenia.

Oooh yes I forgot blue gardenia. Love them too. Great pastries also.
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#28 Jason Wax

Jason Wax
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:11 PM

I think a lot of shops in the region use Stumptown beans for the same reason a lot of shops in Calif. and the upper Midwest and NYC use Intelligentsia beans: both companies are committed to doing everything they can to reform the coffee marketplace, and to make a difference in the lives of those who work all along the coffee production chain. It's true that there are a lot of small outfits producing great roasts (Courier being my absolute local favorite). But for those of us who care about the provenance of our beans, it's difficult to know where the small roasters are getting their beans. If I knew and trusted that other companies were as diligent as Stumptown, then I would buy their beans. But I suspect that most of them lack the resources to check things out firsthand, as Duane does.

#29 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:42 PM

Caffe d'Arte had a local presence for a while and I thought they had really good espresso and they had several styles/blends to chose from.

Doesn't Caffe d'Arte have a retail store on NE 16th?

In addition to Stumptown, another local coffee roaster I buy frequently is Cellar Door. They have a coffee shop but they're also around at local stores and farmer's markets.

I think Portland has some excellent coffee roasters, but after experiencing the coffee at Caffe Terzi in Bologna numerous times when I was there last summer, I am a bit spoiled. I walked away every time completely amazed at the passion Manuel Terzi has for the art of coffee making. And the unwavering attention to detail at their shop. Baristas measure espresso out to the gram for each shot. It never felt snobby (maybe that was because of the language barrier!). It just seemed like everyone who worked there was truly committed to making every cup of coffee perfect.

I've contemplated ordering Terzi online but I think I'm better off to stick with locally roasted - and just get back to Bologna sometime soon!
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#30 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:28 AM

Caffe d'Arte had a local presence for a while and I thought they had really good espresso and they had several styles/blends to chose from.

16th & Weider? Where Torrefazione used to be?

#31 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

nah, where Sagafreddo used to be. On 15th btw broadway and Weidler. we talked about it in this thread.

#32 alicia

alicia
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

segafredo was where torrefazione used to be :lol:

#33 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

nah, where Sagafreddo used to be. On 15th btw broadway and Weidler. we talked about it in this thread.

I need to get out more....

#34 alicia

alicia
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

nah i just remember because my husband used to live on 17th and weidler a few years ago.

#35 Uncle_Kyle

Uncle_Kyle
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

Hi,
I am a roaster at Stumptown and have been on this board since I moved to Portland close to 4 years ago from Seattle, where I worked for a relatively well respected coffee company before getting a job with Stumptown.

I am very proud of the coffee we roast and serve at our cafes and the cafes that choose us as their roaster. I am also very proud of all the folks we do business with, customers in our cafes buying lattes or the coffeegeeks cupping with us everyday at the annex.

We aren't for everyone, but we take a lot of pride in the hard work of what we do and what the people around us do to make the coffee taste great. Just wanted to weigh in on the thread.

#36 JoeDixon

JoeDixon
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:11 AM

The only other roaster giving Stumptown a run for their money in Portland is Spella. I always find Ristretto, Extracto, et al lacking a bit. I do like Extracto's cafe space, and definitely spent a lot of time/money there when I was staying near there this summer. But if I can have my choice, it's Stumptown or Spella.

As far as places in other parts of the country, I can safely say that after living in Chicago for the past year I find Intelligentsia totally unremarkable. When I'm not waiting for my next Portland area visitors to bring me some Stumptown, I just buy the Mexican vacuum-packed espresso from the market near my house. Sometimes I go with a local micro-roaster called Bridgeport Coffee, but they're pretty hit-or-miss.

Gimme Coffee in NY (based in Ithaca, a shop or two in NYC) is the only non-Portland coffee that competes with Stumptown and Spella, IMHO.

#37 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:30 PM

I'd like to serve some good caf and decaf coffee at the cookie exchange on Friday evening. Jill-O mentioned that Courier makes a great decaf and I googled them but can't find a retail outlet for them. Anyone know where we can pick some up? We're in SW Portland, so this part of town would be most doable. Thanks.

And if not Courier - where can we get some good whole beans in the Multnomah area?

#38 Jason Wax

Jason Wax
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:52 AM

I'd like to serve some good caf and decaf coffee at the cookie exchange on Friday evening. Jill-O mentioned that Courier makes a great decaf and I googled them but can't find a retail outlet for them. Anyone know where we can pick some up? We're in SW Portland, so this part of town would be most doable. Thanks.

And if not Courier - where can we get some good whole beans in the Multnomah area?

Courier beans are available at Half & Half, SW 9th and Oak, near Powell's.

#39 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

Courier beans are available at Half & Half, SW 9th and Oak, near Powell's.

Thanks.

#40 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

via Willamette Week

http://www.time.com/...1970653,00.html

Coffee aficionados have been asking the question over and over again: Is Stumptown Coffee Roasters of Portland, Ore. the most conspicuous exponent of coffee's "third wave" the new Starbucks?

But according to Oliver Strand of the New York Times, who has covered the third wave as well as any writer in America, "Stumptown is the leader. They're the cutting edge." The company, which recently opened a plant in Brooklyn, routinely pays more at auction for prized lots of coffee beans than anyone else, offers more single-origin coffees than anyone (20 at the New York plant) and is at the forefront of nearly every new-coffee frontier: espresso-delivery technology, international partnerships and generally changing the idea of coffee from a staple commodity, like corn or sugar, to something closer to wine, with seasons and terroir and varietals as different as Burgundy chardonnay and Austrian riesling. But most of all, Stumptown has Duane Sorenson, its charismatic founder and the most visible (and polarizing) figure in contemporary coffee.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's