Something simple - chicken salad

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:46 AM

I often find myself with leftover chicken and the simplest way (and one that doesn't require heating up the kitchen) of using it is chicken salad. I shred the chicken. chop onion and celery, and use mayonnaise to bind it together. Plenty of salt and pepper. But it's not all that flavorful, and I'm looking for some suggestions for other ingredients. Note: I don't eat hard boiled eggs, beets or tarragon. Thanks!

#2 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

When I was in college, I worked in a deli where I made pounds and pounds of chicken salad every morning. It was a great recipe...basically a riff on a Waldorf salad. Sometimes we used jicama, sometimes water chestnuts. But always apples and walnuts and grapes. Did not shred the chicken, cubed instead. It's a rare thing to still love the taste of something that you've made 1000 times.

#3 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:00 AM

There used to be a place called Tubby's Deli in town. Their chicken salad had cashews in it. I generally dislike cashews, but I absolutely loved their chicken salad sandwiches. The nuts were chopped up and mixed in. They had celery, onion, and apple, as well, in the mix.

Best regards,

Amanda

#4 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

Hola,

Curry powder goes very well with chicken salad. Try adding some curry powder to your basic recipe and throw in some slivered almonds and raisins.

Good stuff.

¡Buen provecho!

#5 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:42 AM

I do kind of a curried chicken waldorf - Apples, celery, raisins, walnut, mayo, red onion - no recipe, I just throw it together

I've also made chicken salad sandwiches with chicken, celery, onion, dill pickles, dill and mayo - a bit of lemon juice and a drop or two of Worcestershire sauce brightens it up

#6 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

Willing to go mayo-free?

Try a SE Asian style.

equal parts fish sauce&lime juice, simple syrup to taste (usually 1/4 of the other ingrediants works for me)
toss in finely chopped Thai chilis or some red Thai chili powder (both are delicious but will be very different)
toss warm chopped chicken in along w/handfulls of mint,cilantro,scallions,tomatoes,cucumbers & chopped roasted peanuts.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#7 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

Willing to go mayo-free?

Try a SE Asian style.

equal parts fish sauce&lime juice, simple syrup to taste (usually 1/4 of the other ingrediants works for me)
toss in finely chopped Thai chilis or some red Thai chili powder (both are delicious but will be very different)
toss warm chopped chicken in along w/handfulls of mint,cilantro,scallions,tomatoes,cucumbers & chopped roasted peanuts.

I need a "Like" button for this!

#8 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

Along the Asian theme as QV above, I'll shred green and purple cabbage and carrot for a confetti look, green onions and chinese parsley, chopped peanuts or slivered almonds, add sesame oil to the sweetened citrus dressing, and crush some chili-spiced dried noodle (having found this at both Fubonn/Uwajimaya, it looks like Nissan ramen packages only the noodle is reddish in color and ready to eat as is).

#9 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:35 PM

Yea for Asian Style - great idea thanks QV

#10 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

I usually add celery, almonds, apple, dried cranberries to my cubed chicken - and I use a bit of mustard powder along with salt and pepper and mayo (and sometimes a bit of Penzey's Shallot Pepper) because I like the zing it gives (but I don't use prepared mustard because I don't want the vinegar in it).
Never give up! Never surrender!

#11 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

Great suggestions. Thank you all.

#12 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

BTW, we used chicken breasts slow-poached in an herb bath...lower fat and super-flavorful.

#13 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

Cubed or shredded leftover chicken tossed in homemade russian dressing put under a broiler w/some gruyere&sauerkraut makes a nice openface melty sandwich.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#14 MangoFish

MangoFish
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

I once made a white Pine Nut Salsa recipe from the "Cooking with Too Hot Tamales" cookbook. It had toasted pine nuts, capers, brine from the capers, and cream. The recipe made too much for how I intended to use it, so I mixed cold chicken and chopped onion into it a few days later.

It was the best chicken salad I've ever had, and I've put pine nuts and capers into chicken salad ever since.

#15 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

A few weeks ago I had some excellent chicken salad at Taste Unique. It had homemade giardiniera (traditional Italian style so no peppers and little heat just the pickled element of carrots, onions, etc. ) in it. Wow,was that an eye opener for chicken salad.

#16 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Chicken Salad normally starts with a rotisserie chicken from Costco for us. We usually put curry powder and sliced grapes in our chicken salad