Cartlandia

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

Just a few blocks south of Flavel where the Springwater trail crosses 82nd, resides a new cart pod. Looks like four carts are setting up shop but there's room for about a dozen.

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

Karen Brooks had posted about this a few months back. It's by the same guy that did the Mississippi pod.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 Perry Wiggs

Perry Wiggs
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

I heard/read something about this place a little while ago, but forgot about it till you mentioned it. It's a "bike centric" pod. Here are a couple of links.

http://bikeportland....g-may-1st-51856

http://www.cartlandia.com/

#4 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

I heard/read something about this place a little while ago, but forgot about it till you mentioned it. It's a "bike centric" pod. Here are a couple of links.

bike centric on 82nd? that makes as much sense as a bike centric brewpub on se powell!! ;-)
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

bike centric on 82nd? that makes as much sense as a bike centric brewpub on se powell!! ;-)

It's right near the Springwater Corridor Trail, which gets a lot of bike traffic, that's why. I think it will do well in the summer.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#6 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

Anyone know what their opening date might be? Seems like I keep seeing that same info over and over again, but with no progress.

#7 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

I heard July, but that was back in January. At the time I thought "whoa, he'll miss half of summer", but yeah right with our current weather!

#8 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:43 PM

It's right next to the Springwater corridor, though, which makes a decent amount of sense.

#9 pdxscoob

pdxscoob
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

El Jeffe's from this pod sets up at Stadium Flowers for Timbers games, just announced they are debuting their take on a Sonoran Dog on Sunday for the game.

#10 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

Our seemingly never-ending search for dishwashers took us to SE 82nd yesterday where we happened upon Cartlandia. The carts are listed on their Facebook page.

Most of the other 10 or so carts were open. They had a big screen TV truck playing sports backed up into the covered eating area. There is also lots of nice seating (some covered some not), several massive potted Japanese maples and ample parking for both cars and bikes.

My husband got a few tasty tidbits from the London Pasty Shop and I got a cheesesteak w/whiz from Cheesesteak Nirvana. I liked both carts plenty, but the cheesesteak was really very good. Especially seeing as it came from a cart. They are served on those fantastic Philly Amoroso (sp?) rolls. Though I asked for mine without onions, it was served with a ton of them, and picking them out was a PITA. But when it was all said and done, that cheesesteak was transportative. The flavor and the texture is as good as any that I had in Philly.

#11 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

The OLCC has granted Cartlandia a liquor license.

http://www.oregonliv...license_to.html

Commissioners approved the license unanimously over a chorus of objections from police and city officials who worried about setting a new precedent for alcohol sales at food carts, and about increased enforcement issues that arise when drinks are served.

"Our concern is simply that it will open the floodgates and create a public safety problem that we're not equipped to address," said Eric Hendricks, assistant chief of the Portland Police Bureau. The department budget already is stretched thin and the ranks of officers may continue to decline, Hendricks said.

#12 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Tweet from Sam Adams yesterday: " 9 OLCC agents supervize 5024 liquor licenses (588 per agent) across 3,071 sq miles (344 miles per agent) "

#13 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:22 AM

Tweet from Sam Adams yesterday: " 9 OLCC agents supervize 5024 liquor licenses (588 per agent) across 3,071 sq miles (344 miles per agent) "

Not sure what that has to do with carts, per se. I mean it's a problem for brick and mortar establishments every bit as much as pods (which is the only way the OLCC will license carts and the alcohol area has to be roped off). In the 70s when I lived in NW Portland, the neighborhood used to complain about The Gypsy Lounge all the time. Nothing much ever happened. If there is an issue here, it's with how the OLCC is staffed. And considering the exorbitant price of hard liquor in this state you'd think they'd have money for staff.

#14 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

New Salvadoran cart Pupuseria La Miguelena

http://www.foodcarts...a-la-miguelena/
Never give up! Never surrender!

#15 AutumnB

AutumnB
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

New Salvadoran cart Pupuseria La Miguelena

http://www.foodcarts...a-la-miguelena/

Definitely one of my favorites at Cartlandia! Their pupusas, empanadas de platanos (we tried the one with bean filling), and curtido are filling, inexpensive and (best of all) tasty as hell.

#16 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:33 AM

First time to this pod with the family.

Posted Image
Untitled by ricechaz, on Flickr

I had the revuelta pupusa with tamale salvodoran. total of $4.50. These were outstanding. The family working the stand were so nice and engaging. Can't say that I've had much experience with pupusas but I'll be having more. The tamal was as good as any I've had. I like the leaf wrap which kept it moist and good masa to meat ratio.

I also had one of the pasties from London Pasty. Wanted to have one of the sausage rolls with Otto's sausage but he was sold out. I settled for the corned beef. Sorry to say that I was very disappointed. The crust was pale almost white and I had a hard time finding much corned beef in the pasty. Seemed more like a potato pasty than a corned beef. Did like the bottle Canadian steak sauce to go with it. The guy working was real nice but he had to point out not worry about the yellow on the crust was from egg wash. Didn't have the heart to tell him that the egg wash didn't brown long enough.

My wife had a blue cheese/bacon dog from Relish. I'd have that again but then again, if you put blue cheese and bacon on a sandal, I'd probably grab a fork and knife.

One of my daughters really wanted a lamb kebob from Ramy's lamb shack. She used to love the donner kebob's at 10th and Alder next but they closed up. After hearing good things about Ramy''s she was anxious to give it a try but they had sold out. She settle for chicken gyro which was average. Flavors were kind of muddled. I'm sure she's going to drag me back to get the lamb.

Had the creme brulee from Cake on a Hot Tin Roof. Nice flavor with the nice hard sugar top like it's supposed to be. I'm not much of fan of creme brulee but my kids thought it was worthwhile. Can't say that for the shortbread cookies. Would not get those again.

Great pod with nice choices. Love the beer garden with covered dining tables. Also has it's own parking though it's right in the middle of the pod.
Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#17 vrunka

vrunka
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

I also had one of the pasties from London Pasty. Wanted to have one of the sausage rolls with Otto's sausage but he was sold out. I settled for the corned beef. Sorry to say that I was very disappointed. The crust was pale almost white and I had a hard time finding much corned beef in the pasty. Seemed more like a potato pasty than a corned beef. Did like the bottle Canadian steak sauce to go with it. The guy working was real nice but he had to point out not worry about the yellow on the crust was from egg wash. Didn't have the heart to tell him that the egg wash didn't brown long enough.

Whenever I go on a long bike ride that takes me past Cartlandia, I always make it a point to stop and get a cheese and onion pasty from London Pasty Co. But... I have to admit that the main reason I get it is because when I'm exercising a lot for an extended period, what I need to eat is really bland carbohydrates -- and, boy, that pie delivers! "Cheese and onion" is actually a bit of a misnomer because what it actually is plain mashed potatoes. I think there's some cheese in there, but if there was an onion involved at any point, you'd never know from the taste. And yes, the crust is, well, pasty. But it's great fuel for biking out to Boring and back!

#18 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

Just read that Cartlandia added two new carts, J Mo's (sandwiches) and Krust (pizza). Will be hitting up Krust very soon.
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#19 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Just read that Cartlandia added two new carts, J Mo's (sandwiches) and Krust (pizza). Will be hitting up Krust very soon.

Krust may be the worst non-corporate-chain pizza that i've had in Portland. Cracker crust, cheese was barely warm (cold in spots), roma tomatoes on the marg were sliced about 1/2" thick and caused every slice to buckle. Oversalted, lots of garlic powder in the taste. Awful. and $8 for this travesty. Full review is on its way.
GG Allin

#20 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

review with pics if you're interested
GG Allin