• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

From last Sunday's Business section, A Rave, A Pan or Just a Fake

As a consumer review Web site, Yelp is so big and influential that it has given rise to a small, semi-underground group of entrepreneurs who, for a fee, will post a rave about your company. Others will post a negative review about your rivals.

Obviously, Mechanical Turk work is not a path to quick riches. Panagiotis G. Ipeirotis, an associate professor of information, operations and management sciences at the Stern School of Business at New York University, who has studied the site, says his polling of Turk workers found that many were based in India and often earned $2 to $3 an hour.

Interesting article about a business that I didn't know existed.

#2 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

From last Sunday's Business section, A Rave, A Pan or Just a Fake

As a consumer review Web site, Yelp is so big and influential that it has given rise to a small, semi-underground group of entrepreneurs who, for a fee, will post a rave about your company. Others will post a negative review about your rivals.

Obviously, Mechanical Turk work is not a path to quick riches. Panagiotis G. Ipeirotis, an associate professor of information, operations and management sciences at the Stern School of Business at New York University, who has studied the site, says his polling of Turk workers found that many were based in India and often earned $2 to $3 an hour.

Interesting article about a business that I didn't know existed.

Doesn't this really just typify the problem with the Internet, and relying on reviews in a medium where there anonymity reigns and there really is little or no objective verification? Even on this very site there was talk awhile back of basically stuffing the ballot boxes in polls on sites like Citysearch et al.
signature

#3 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

Even on this very site there was talk awhile back of basically stuffing the ballot boxes in polls on sites like Citysearch et al.

Yes, except now we could get paid for it!

#4 gturillo

gturillo
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

Interesting, I wonder if Zagat has the same issues.

#5 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

Even on this very site there was talk awhile back of basically stuffing the ballot boxes in polls on sites like Citysearch et al.

Yes, except now we could get paid for it!

Like! :bottomsup:
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:38 PM

And luckily the professional media is beyond reproach.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#7 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:58 PM

What I find hilarious about these sites is that they consider all new users to be giving fake reviews until you reach some magic number of reviews. Well, wouldn't most folks get discouraged and not leave reviews once they saw they were filtered (in the case of Yelp) or whatever each site calls it? Only those most in need of the validation of being a super yelper or whatever they call it would keep going.

I reviewed Bristow's day care, vet, and groomer after the day care folks mentioned they got hit by a nasty review from someone they are sure was never a customer, got zero satisfaction from Yelp and CitySearch (same review on both) unless they advertised, and would love real customers to post their experiences. It was visible for a while, then suddenly I was filtered. No way to protest or challenge it. Just another reason why I would never use Yelp for anything other than addresses and hours if the restaurant doesn't have a website.

#8 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:05 PM

Ah, so two wrongs do - in fact - make a right! :rolleyes:
signature

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

Warning, this may hurt your brain, but it's possible to say that Newspapers aren't often reliable either without saying that makes Yelp good. You stated that it was the medium's fault. I supplied counter-examples showing you don't know what you're talking about. But you're welcome to take back your words anytime.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#10 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

Warning, this may hurt your brain, but it's possible to say that Newspapers aren't often reliable either without saying that makes Yelp good. You stated that it was the medium's fault. I supplied counter-examples showing you don't know what you're talking about. But you're welcome to take back your words anytime.

Your personal attacks aside - again - my point is that those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. While it's pretty rare to see criticisms of Internet objectivity in the mainstream media, the reverse is pretty common. I'm saying there's plenty of suck to go around, in both mediums.
signature

#11 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

Your personal attacks aside - again - my point is that those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. While it's pretty rare to see criticisms of Internet objectivity in the mainstream media, the reverse is pretty common. I'm saying there's plenty of suck to go around, in both mediums.

Like I said, you were welcome to take back what you said, and as predicted you did. So now we agree! Imagine that.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#12 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

I love watching Nick and Ken kiss and make up :-)
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#13 gturillo

gturillo
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

I posed the question to ZAGAT, here's their answer:

"Thank you for contacting ZAGAT.

Zagat does not pay reviewers for their responses to our surveys. As far as preventing fraudulent reviews- that information is proprietary and Zagat does not provide that information.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or feedback.

Best Regards,
Zagat Survey Customer Service
ZAGAT.com
Eat, Drink, Stay, Play"

#14 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

Pretty damn funny parody of Yelp: Tricia & Johanna: Yelpers
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#15 gturillo

gturillo
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

Pretty damn funny parody of Yelp: Tricia & Johanna: Yelpers

Reminded me of Portlandia! LOL

#16 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts