• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sauteslut

sauteslut
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:food, wine, wiskey, women

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:03 PM

i saw this ad today and i'd like to use it as an example of how not to advertise for a job opening.

Please list the name of the restaurant. I can't tell you how much time this wastes. Why the secrecy? Afraid applicants are gonna show up with their knife kit in tow ready to work? The horror...

Be specific about qualifications. "Able to communicate clearly". "Able to change and learn". This is as clear a picture you have of your ideal Chef de Cuisine?

Don't be a pretentious fuck. "We do seasonal and sustainable farm-to-table food in the vein of Clyde, Olympic Provisions, Chez Panisse, Marlo and Sons, Franny's and Zuni.
(If you've heard of less than two of those restaurants, don't bother applying.)" What if I just moved here from Lyon, France where I spent the last 6 years in a 3 star restaurant? You don't want me because I dont know Franny's? Really?

sorry for the rant but from someone who has had to search for staff and search for work it's very frustrating

thank you, good night.
L'unico frutto dell'amore la Banana, la Banana

Posted Image

#2 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

"Please list the name of the restaurant. I can't tell you how much time this wastes. Why the secrecy? Afraid applicants are gonna show up with their knife kit in tow ready to work? The horror... "

No, actually what most owners are afraid of is all the nitwits calling and/or showing up in the middle of service no matter how clear you make it that that is not acceptable.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#3 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

To ask a stupid question, why would a restaurant in LA trying to pay extra to relocate a chef from Portland list "knowledge of local health department rules" as a requirement? How could someone currently in Portland and requiring relocation have up to date knowledge of the LA health dept rules?

Wow, and I thought the Health IT job boards were bizarrely picky with giving preference among various EHR packages...

#4 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

"To ask a stupid question, why would a restaurant in LA trying to pay extra to relocate a chef from Portland list "knowledge of local health department rules" as a requirement? How could someone currently in Portland and requiring relocation have up to date knowledge of the LA health dept rules?"

Because of of the necessary information is online. The ideal candidate would show initiative by reading all the available local HD info before interviewing.

When Renaissance paid to move me from Chicago to Sonoma that's exactly what I did.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#5 sauteslut

sauteslut
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:food, wine, wiskey, women

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

No, actually what most owners are afraid of is all the nitwits calling and/or showing up in the middle of service no matter how clear you make it that that is not acceptable.

A statement like "respond by email only" sounds like an easy way to weed out the wrong people.

The last ad I listed on c.list asked applicants to write "line cook" in the subject line of their emails. Every email I got that didn't have it was a sign of someone who can't follow simple directions (or didn't bother to read the whole ad) and was deleted.
L'unico frutto dell'amore la Banana, la Banana

Posted Image

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

Listing the name of the restaurant is problematic in many ways. 1) Phone calls and drop-ins. Restaurants get enough phone calls and drop-ins by job seekers when they don't have an ad. They take time and energy of everyone along the line, the person who has to deal with them when they walk in, the person who has to notify the manager, the manager, and the person who drops in. There is always a lot of shit to do in a restaurant and an extra 20 or 30 phone calls a day and a dozen people dropping in is a pain in the ass. 2) Media. I just helped on a restaurant opening and I asked the owners several times not to mention the name of the restaurant in the ad, even editing the copy. But then they didn't hide the email address in the ad, so people saw exactly who was opening and we were unable to control the initial media coverage. If you're just hiring a new dishwasher, it probably doesn't matter. But if you're hiring new kitchen staff or a new manager, this may also be information you don't want out in the media. Several food blogs out there, especially professional ones, comb Craigslist looking for restaurants for sale, notices of openings, notice of staff changes, etc. 3) You may be replacing someone, and it's both rude and bad for business to let them know they're being replaced by having a Craigslist ad forwarded to them. 4) It's bad sales technique, in the sense that you don't want to eliminate candidates who might be prejudiced against you one way or another if they hear the name of the restaurant. As employer, you want to be in control of the process, get all qualified applicants you can, and then if someone has prejudices you can try to assuage them when you call them in for an interview.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#7 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:39 PM

When Renaissance paid to move me from Chicago to Sonoma that's exactly what I did.

Were you part of the team that opened Carneros? My family ate there at least once a week while the original opening chef and we had some amazing meals there. Great seasonal menu... :wub: