• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hola amigos,

I came across a local brand of BBQ sauce that's pretty tasty, and has a marketing hook to boot. It's the Ghetto Gourmet brand.
http://ghettogourmet...s.com/index.php

I picked up a bottle of his Original BBQ sauce, and his BBQ Moppin Sauce. Both were good, although I preferred the Moppin Sauce (it was spicier with a more vinegary profile). I picked mine up at my beloved Food 4 Less, but I have also seen it in other places around town.

Condiments make great gifts (especially local condiments). They are useful and inexpensive. As we start the grind into the holiday season, here's a clever, tasty local product as an option.

¡Buen provecho!

#22 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

There's a new locally produced hot sauce available that I like.  It's called Shauce.  Spicy, tangy with a slight sweetness and lingering heat.  Adapts itself well to a variety of foods.

It's available at some Whole Foods Stores, but I was given a bottle by a friend of the guy who makes it  This one is nearly gone now and I need to pick up some more!.  Website: https://sites.google...site/hotshauce/

https://www.facebook.com/ShauceCo

It's supposedly 'healthy', but I don't care too much about that.  For those of you that do, this is the ingredient list: 

Organic Roma Tomato, Bell Pepper, Water, Organic Carrot, Organic Vinegar, Roasted Organic Onion, Roasted Habanero, Organic Coconut Palm Sugar, Organic Molasses, Roasted Organic Garlic, Tamarind, Hiwa Kai Black Sea Salt, Organic Ginger Root, Organic Mustard, Organic Black Pepper, Avocado Oil, Organic Turmeric, Organic Arrowroot, Sunflower Lecithin

The big question is why is Shauce your healthiest sauce yet?

1.     Every ingredient is looked at by itself for it's nutrients and if I could call it a superfood.
  2.     Every ingredient is looked at by itself for how old it is and how long humans have been consuming it; generally for thousands of years.
  3.     Every ingredient is looked at by itself for the latest medical discoveries towards betterment of human health.
  4.     How do all the ingredients combine; do they stay healthy?
  5.     Is cooking process itself is healthy?
  6.     The bottle is glass, which is in my opinion the healthiest container to use.
  7.     The source of the ingredients must be reputable and trustworthy
  8.     I am currently sourcing all ingredients to be organic, which includes non-GMO. 
When all those criteria are met, we end up with an incredibly healthy product. 

#23 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

Hola,

I am still a big fan of condiments and Portland has really upped its hot sauce game over the last few years. I remembered "Shauce" from this thread and recently came across it at an OMSI after dark event. The folks from Tabor (home of the Schnitzlewich) have their own hot sauce too (and it's kombutcha based). Good times.

Shauce is a habernero based hot sauce. It has a great flavor with some heat. Similar to the Secret Aardvark, but a different flavor. I really like it. I met the guy who invented it at the OMSI event. We talked hot sauce for awhile. It was a lot of fun. Their website is:

http://www.shop.shauce.com/

The Tabor cart folks have their own hot sauce now, and it's kombutcha based. Thinking about it now I can't believe nobody else has done that before. I'm as big a fan of kombutcha as I am of hot sauce. Now I can have them both at once. One of my coworkers told me about this new sauce. I hit up Tabor the next day to get some. It's great stuff. The owner/proprietor was super excited that I was there for the hot sauce. We talked hot sauce for ~30 minutes. He's a fanatic.

http://kombuchahotsauce.com/

Both of those hot sauces run $7/bottle. The Tabor cart sells them directly. I ordered the Shauce online (after buying a bottle at OMSI after dark). They are great hot sauces. Local too. As much as I enjoy the sauces, I really enjoyed talking to the guys who invented them. They are hot sauce freaks, and it was really fun to talk hot sauce with them.

Local condiments make for great gifts, and we are in the gift-giving season. You could do a lot worse than these 2!

Buen provecho.

#24 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

Among the assorted table condiments offered at Pho Oregon, there's one that I love, but have no idea what it is. It's in one of the clear plastic containers with a spoon. It's a slightly sweet dark brown chili paste that has a hint of Indian spices. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It delicious.

#25 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:24 AM

Among the assorted table condiments offered at Pho Oregon, there's one that I love, but have no idea what it is. It's in one of the clear plastic containers with a spoon. It's a slightly sweet dark brown chili paste that has a hint of Indian spices. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It delicious.

Sounds like Hoisin Sauce.

#26 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

I haven't dined there in quite some time but could it be Tuong Ot Xa? I love version Pho Nguyen serves.

#27 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

I haven't dined there in quite some time but could it be Tuong Ot Xa? I love version Pho Nguyen serves.

Crepeguy's post and this reply got me off my butt and I went to Pho Oregon for lunch. I think _RC may be correct and I agree with Crepeguy that the stuff is delicious.

I've eaten at Pho Oregon many dozens of times since they opened and I always assumed this was chili oil and never even took the lid off. I could have been using this stuff for 20 years!

#28 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

I don't think this is the one, but it sounds like it may be related. The condiment at Pho Oregon has a definite garam masala or five spice powder aspect to it.

#29 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:40 PM

This is what I thought you were talking about too. Pho Vi Van calls it Sate (satay). Now I'm intrigued...

#30 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:56 PM

This is what I thought you were talking about too. Pho Vi Van calls it Sate (satay). Now I'm intrigued...

It's a lot like the Tia Chieu Sate that Huy Fong used to make, but not as hot and with a more complex flavor. I used a ton of it and I'm going to pay for it later, but it was so good.

#31 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:54 AM

It's a lot like the Tia Chieu Sate that Huy Fong used to make, but not as hot and with a more complex flavor. I used a ton of it and I'm going to pay for it later, but it was so good.

Yes, I think this may be it. Thank you.

#32 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

Yes, I went today and the waitress confirmed it was "pepper saté" sauce. Now to find the closest one . . .