• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

Amigos,

There have been a few recent experiences at local restaurants town that have me thinking about condiments.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a condiment freak. Mustard, horseradish, relish, hot sauce, salsa, BBQ sauces, vinegar, wasabi, fry sauce, hoisin, oil, aioli, chutney, olive and/or vegetable spread…I even appreciate ketchup and mayo in certain contexts. The list could go on, and I pretty much like all of them. I love having the option to adjust my food by adding a bit of this or that, or dipping it into a sauce. It’s great fun for me.

¡Me gustan mucho los condimentos!

These three experiences have me thinking about condiments more than I usually do:

1. Little Big Burger
There’s been some talk about their ketchup, and rightly so. They put sriracha in their ketchup. It’s awesome, and that’s a brilliant pairing. I can’t explain why that idea never occurred to me before eating here. Their mustard is excellent too, as is their fry sauce.

2. Foster Burger
Their “burner” burger has a combination of sriracha and ranch, cleverly named “srirancha”. ¡Ranch and sriracha! Great stuff, and again I can’t explain why that never occurred to me before.

3. VanSchniztles
This cart has curry ketchup for their schnitzel sandwich. Curry ketchup. Apparently it’s common in Germany, but that was new to me…tasty too.

These are just three recent examples of condiment pairings that are super tasty and seem really obvious once they were shown to me. I don’t always have ranch dressing at home, but I have continually stocked srirachi, ketchup and curry for years. Never once in all that time did I think of combining them.

I’ve already decided to make my next Rueben with a srirachi/Russian dressing, that one seems obvious in light of my recent experiences.

So here's my question for all of you, and it is twofold:

1. What other combination of condiments should I already have thought of? What else have I been missing out on?

2. What other restaurants besides these three are creating interesting and tasty condiments?

I’m very interested in hearing your thoughts and ideas regarding this madness of mine.

¡Muchas gracias!

#2 matt.r

matt.r
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:10 PM

Sometimes I'll mix hummus (king's harvest sundried tomato... mmmm) with dijon when I'm making a chicken breast sandwich or the like. It has all the wonderful creaminess and rich flavor of hummus with a nice kick from the dijon. I've always eaten it with certain types of sandwiches, but I'd be interested to see how it tastes with other things.

#3 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

1. Little Big Burger
There’s been some talk about their ketchup, and rightly so. They put sriracha in their ketchup. It’s awesome, and that’s a brilliant pairing. I can’t explain why that idea never occurred to me before eating here.

Spirit of 77 serves a sriracha ketchup with their cheese fritters. I like it enough that I end up ordering a side of it for just about anything on the menu.

#4 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

I understand condiment freakiness. I like making my own when I can. I found this recipe for homemade sriracha a while back and it's fairly quick and easy and it puts the the store bought stuff to shame - the Fresno peppers are available at Winco - they're the red japaleno sized ones

http://www.food52.co...me_made_rooster

#5 Joedo6

Joedo6
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

Nel Centro mixes harissa with their ketchup which I've enjoyed.

#6 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

Amigos,

There have been a few recent experiences at local restaurants town that have me thinking about condiments.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a condiment freak. Mustard, horseradish, relish, hot sauce, salsa, BBQ sauces, vinegar, wasabi, fry sauce, hoisin, oil, aioli, chutney, olive and/or vegetable spread…I even appreciate ketchup and mayo in certain contexts. The list could go on, and I pretty much like all of them. I love having the option to adjust my food by adding a bit of this or that, or dipping it into a sauce. It’s great fun for me.

¡Me gustan mucho los condimentos!

These three experiences have me thinking about condiments more than I usually do:

1. Little Big Burger
There’s been some talk about their ketchup, and rightly so. They put sriracha in their ketchup. It’s awesome, and that’s a brilliant pairing. I can’t explain why that idea never occurred to me before eating here. Their mustard is excellent too, as is their fry sauce.

2. Foster Burger
Their “burner” burger has a combination of sriracha and ranch, cleverly named “srirancha”. ¡Ranch and sriracha! Great stuff, and again I can’t explain why that never occurred to me before.

3. VanSchniztles
This cart has curry ketchup for their schnitzel sandwich. Curry ketchup. Apparently it’s common in Germany, but that was new to me…tasty too.

These are just three recent examples of condiment pairings that are super tasty and seem really obvious once they were shown to me. I don’t always have ranch dressing at home, but I have continually stocked srirachi, ketchup and curry for years. Never once in all that time did I think of combining them.

I’ve already decided to make my next Rueben with a srirachi/Russian dressing, that one seems obvious in light of my recent experiences.

So here's my question for all of you, and it is twofold:

1. What other combination of condiments should I already have thought of? What else have I been missing out on?

2. What other restaurants besides these three are creating interesting and tasty condiments?

I’m very interested in hearing your thoughts and ideas regarding this madness of mine.

¡Muchas gracias!

Sriracha mixed with ranch is a pretty common condiment. When I was living in New Mexico in the 90's several places had it.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#7 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

I adore mixing Branston Pickle (the British brown condiment "a variety of diced vegetables, including swede, carrots, onions, cauliflower and gherkins pickled in a sauce made from vinegar, tomato, apple and dates with spices such as mustard, coriander, garlic, cinnamon, pepper, cloves, nutmeg and cayenne pepper with sugar)and mustard on sandwiches with a good strong cheese like a sharp cheddar.

Believe it or not, Cost Plus World Market is an inexpensive source of a variety of foreign condiments, including the curry ketchup you mention and Branston Pickle.

#8 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

Sriracha mixed with ranch is a pretty common condiment. When I was living in New Mexico in the 90's several places had it.

Sriracha mixed with ranch should be a common condiment (as tasty as it is), and it's no surprise to me to hear that the folks in New Mexico were onto that back in the day. New Mexico is probably at least a decade (maybe even 2 decades) ahead of the US restaurant industry and food culture on the use of roasted chilies too. They know their way around a chili.

This is exactly why I posted this here. I'm way behind the curve on this. The fact that I didn't independently come up with the idea of mixing sriracha and ranch is something I will have to live with (and sriracha ketchup too). As late as I am to this party, I'm just glad to have arrived. Now I'm trying to make up for lost time.

#9 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

Other hot sauces are good with ranch too, including Frank's and Aardvark. I, too, am a big fan of making one's own condiments, including pickles, peppers, and, best of all, homemade aioli.

#10 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

Hey, there's a thing on Sriracha in MIX with 3 recipes, and I thought of you, Nacho_B.

Here it is:

http://www.oregonliv...three-easy.html

Using it in deviled eggs sounds good. Yes, I can actually handle Sriracha these days...who woulda thunk it?! I have to admit, even though I can handle chile heat these days (and it was surprisingly not all that hard to increase that tolerance), hot sauce is still a condiment I rarely think of reaching for/adding/using. I have the tolerance for it, I am just not at all convinced that it adds something I need or felt was lacking.

I think I have to try cooking with some hotter peppers to tease out the flavors and see how I might want to use them. I can't quite handle much scotch-bonnet fire, yet, I think I like the fruity quality of the flavor of that pepper...but I have no idea how to temper the heat when using them in cooking so I can have that flavor without the fire.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#11 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:14 AM

Hey, there's a thing on Sriracha in MIX with 3 recipes, and I thought of you, Nacho_B.

Here it is:

http://www.oregonliv...three-easy.html

but I have no idea how to temper the heat when using them in cooking so I can have that flavor without the fire.

This recipe is a great example of a mild tolerable heat with good fruity flavor. It uses Poblanos and chili flakes. I make this often, it's fabulous, ridiculously inexpensive and easy.

#12 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:47 PM

This is all great stuff. I realize now that I need to get into making my own condiments. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

I wasn't familiar with harissa, but I need to give it a try. I was in New Season's yesterday and almost bought a tube of it, but I need to keep myself in check in the New Season's condiment/vinegar/oil aisle. I could easily break my budget with this stuff. I find that aisle more compelling than any other part of any grocery store in town. New Season's also stocks Podnah's Pit BBQ sauces (regular, mustard, and vinegar) as well as some of the wing sauces from Fire On the Mountain. Good stuff.

I'll check out Cost Plus World Market. I'll at least try the Branston Pickle (which sounds like it has all of the flavors from England's empire from back when the sun never set on it), and see what other imported condiments they have.

Generally I like my Aardvark with a side of Aardvark, but agree that it must also be awesome with ranch. Never tried Frank's, but I have about 25 different hot sauces en mi casa. It's one of my things. Food for Less on 82nd and Powell is my #1 hot sauce provider, with Salsa Huichol, La Guacamaya, and all of the El Yucateco salsas picantes (la salsa de habernero roja del yucateco es la mejor). I'm getting a bit crazy with the sriracha right now, since that's what broke this loose for me lately, but I agree that all hot sauces would kick ass when combined with ranch, ketchup, deviled eggs, and a whole list of other tasty foods that is too long to compile here.

¡Buen tiempo en el mundo de los condimentos!

#13 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

Check out Barbur World Foods on Capitol Highway and Barbur. Lots of condiments from all over the world, including many harissas. Nice selection of hot sauces and mustards.

One of my favorite condiment is Maggi, European version. Eggs, rice, banh mi and stir-fried noodles never had it better.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#14 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

Put some fresh Thai chillies sliced into rice vinegar. A very versatile substance. Chillies alone for heat or vinegar for acidity and some heat.

#15 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

For all you housemade catsup/ketchup lovers and haters, the O did a taste test of ketchups and Camden's rated highest. Available at camdencatsup.com and at LBB. They tasted Camden's, Heinz, Annie's, Beaver, Del Monte, Fred Meyer, Organicville and Muir Glen. TJ's was not tested, which is the kind I normally buy.

Posted Image

#16 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

Hola mis compañeros de la comida,

Here's an article about condiments. I ran into the link on the Oregonlive.com website.

It's an interesting (to me at least) and well written article about the history of ketchup, mustard, and pasta sauce in the US.

It's an older New Yorker article (2004), but for those of you who haven't seen it here you go:
http://www.gladwell...._a_ketchup.html

I had no idea Grey Poupon was such a game changer.

¡Buen tiempo en el mundo de los condimentos!

Saludos,
Nacho_B

#17 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:54 PM

I just realized that we could not possibly have a condiment thread without including the Table of Condiments (That Periodically Go Bad) - it's an oldie but a goodie from 1997!

http://www.backtable...condiments.html

And really no quibbling over is a spread really a condiment...it is, move on.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#18 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:10 AM

For all you housemade catsup/ketchup lovers and haters, the O did a taste test of ketchups and Camden's rated highest. Available at camdencatsup.com and at LBB. They tasted Camden's, Heinz, Annie's, Beaver, Del Monte, Fred Meyer, Organicville and Muir Glen. TJ's was not tested, which is the kind I normally buy.

Posted Image

Getting a high rating from the Oregonian is kind of damning it with faint praise! ;)

#19 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

Saveur has an article on making your own condiments, with 20 recipes for ketchups, mustards, mayos, etc.

http://www.saveur.co...iments?cmpid=tw

#20 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

Check out Barbur World Foods on Capitol Highway and Barbur. Lots of condiments from all over the world, including many harissas. Nice selection of hot sauces and mustards.

One of my favorite condiment is Maggi, European version. Eggs, rice, banh mi and stir-fried noodles never had it better.

I did finally make it over to Barbur World Foods, and that is one very cool market.

I picked up a jar of harissa, but the best find was a "Moroccan Ginger Mint" hot sauce. It's a very unique and flavorful hot sauce from the (decidedly un-exotic) city of Eugene, Oregon. It's a product of "The All Spice Co", and it's really good.
www.theallspiceco.com

Their hot sauces are stocked by someone who knows what they're doing. It was a nice selection, chosen by an aficionado. They did not, however, have the one I've been looking for...Salsa Espinaler. That's a Catalan hot sauce that wasn't all that common even in Barcelona. If any of you come across it around town, please let me know. I could order it online, but that's not as much fun as finding it offline.

Food 4 Less on SE 82nd and Powell is still my #1 provider of hot sauces, because their prices can't be beat and they sell some hot sauces in 1 liter and 1 quart bottles (they even sell Tapatío by the gallon in the aisle with the #10 cans) Barbur World Foods is a strong contender, however, and they'll always get the credit for turning me on to that excellent Moroccan Ginger Mint hot sauce.