• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:55 PM

Working with chocolate is such a delicate process, I'm thinking most of you probably have your hands on most pieces that come out of your shops. Have you guys been able to delegate much of the work? Are you training people so you can put out more product? If you get sick or go on vacation, will we have to go without your chocolates?

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:01 PM

Working with chocolate is such a delicate process, I'm thinking most of you probably have your hands on most pieces that come out of your shops. Have you guys been able to delegate much of the work? Are you training people so you can put out more product? If you get sick or go on vacation, will we have to go without your chocolates?

Oh yes, I'm a terrible control freak. I want it all to be perfect! That works out well since I'm the Chief Cook & Bottle Washer… actually, I'm the ONLY cook and bottle washer.

Yeah, being a one-man operation is pretty risky. You're right, if I go on vacation then the chocolates do too. And that's something I need to "fix" pretty soon.

I want to get really organized before even thinking about hiring more help. Recently I spoke with a friend who lives in France and who worked for a while at a chocolate shop. She said that they were SSSSOOOO organized. Their schedule, for the entire year, is defined so that on any given day, when you come into the shop, you know exactly what you're going to make. Wow, that's impressive! I don't know if I could ever reach that level of organization but it's something to which one can aspire.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me