• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:51 PM

So, how do you usually infuse flavor into your chocolates? Is it by adding extracts/oils to the chocolate itself or by infusing flavors into the dairy?

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

So, how do you usually infuse flavor into your chocolates? Is it by adding extracts/oils to the chocolate itself or by infusing flavors into the dairy?

When I first started playing around, I used vanilla extract when I needed a vanilla accent. But for a long time now I've been using organic vanilla beans to infuse the cream… way way better. (And hey, I really like to see the little black vanilla seeds floating around in the cream. :) )

For lavender chocolates, I use lavender that I buy locally for infusing flavor into the cream. Basically the same for tea flavored ganaches.

For some chocolates, however, you just can't get a strong enough flavor with an infusion e.g. rose. For rose, you need to use a more potent oil to get a flavor strong enough to taste.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me