• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

FYI, politics is not an acceptable subject for these here forums, unless it's specifically in relation to food politics, government policy that affects food, agriculture, and restaurants, and is on a thread devoted to that specific subject. The offending posts have been deleted.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#22 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,582 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

My favorite is Phu Quoc Flying Lion brand. Three Crabs and Squid work.

Stay away from Tiparos, usually comes in a plastic bottle.

Where are you getting the Phu Quoc?

I used to get it at Thanh Thao on 65th/Sandy, but they closed. You can find it at Hong Phat on 99th/Prescott for certain, but I imagine the large pan-Asian markets carry it. Keep in mind, this isn't made in/exported from Phu Quoc (it's made in Thailand), rather it's part of the brand name. http://vietnamesesup...nfishsauce.aspx
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#23 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

I used to get it at Thanh Thao on 65th/Sandy, but they closed. You can find it at Hong Phat on 99th/Prescott for certain, but I imagine the large pan-Asian markets carry it. Keep in mind, this isn't made in/exported from Phu Quoc (it's made in Thailand), rather it's part of the brand name. http://vietnamesesup...nfishsauce.aspx

I know at one time they had it at FuBonn. Not sure if they still do but worth a look.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#24 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:25 PM

If they don't have it at FuBonn, it would be worth a stop at "Oriental Food Value". It's a big place, and well worth a visit. They play cooler music than FuBonn too.

They're at SE 82nd and Foster (Northeast corner of that intersection). That's close enough to FuBonn that I'd say they're in the same neighborhood.

Oriental Food Value
8303 SE Insley St.

ˇBuena suerte!

#25 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:56 AM

I know at one time they had it at FuBonn. Not sure if they still do but worth a look.

That's where I most recently got mine. Probably about a year ago.

#26 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

Thanh Thao has reopened - it appears to have different owners.

The internal layout is different and the meat counter has changed for the worse.

#27 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

Yeah, I popped my head in the other day. Seemed like a definite downturn. I liked the old place pretty well. Hadn't been there much since moving so close to Fubonn and An Dong, but if in that area, I'd be looking at Pacific Supermarket first.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#28 deensiebat

deensiebat
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

I really like the "golden boy" fish sauce -- it's got a somewhat creepy picture of a semi-naked baby clutching a bottle of fish sauce on the label. I think I got the referral from some roundup that I can't find anymore (I think they also liked the Thai Kitchen brand best for serving in an uncooked sauce, though I think golden boy is nice for that as well).

#29 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

Thanh Thao has reopened - it appears to have different owners.

The internal layout is different and the meat counter has changed for the worse.

My feelings exactly. I live a few minutes walk from this place and was excited to see it re-open, but unfortunately without all the folks who used to work there, and minus the deli and prepared food. I've seen some of the same people working at Hong Phat on Prescott, and the way they package things is similar. Maybe the same owners now?

#30 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

Just got a bottle of the Red Boat fish sauce from Thanh Thao today. Real Phu Quoc stuff---only anchovies and salt. Twice the price as other fish sauces, but worth it. Great stuff.

#31 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

Just got a bottle of the Red Boat fish sauce from Thanh Thao today. Real Phu Quoc stuff---only anchovies and salt. Twice the price as other fish sauces, but worth it. Great stuff.

Thanh Thao on 65th and Sandy? I shopped there during the closing sale a few months back, and didn't even bother checking what became of the place when I was at Pho An just few weeks ago. Thx for the tip on the market and the sauce.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#32 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

Thanh Thao on 65th and Sandy? I shopped there during the closing sale a few months back, and didn't even bother checking what became of the place when I was at Pho An just few weeks ago. Thx for the tip on the market and the sauce.

I think the owners may be the same as Hong Phat--similar set-up and I've seen some of the same workers there. Live in the neighborhood and miss the old set-up, deli section and workers from the old Thanh Thao, but..

That fish sauce is amazing. Could, and have, been sipping it on its own.

#33 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

Red Boat Fish Sauce

Thanks for this most excellent rec!
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#34 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

Red Boat Fish Sauce

Thanks for this most excellent rec!

And it's available at Food Front in Hillsdale!

#35 mymil

mymil
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Tarad at SE 6th and Morrison, the new Thai restaurant/market from Earl Ninsom, carries 23 oz bottles of Tiparos for $1.75! I brought one home after eating there yesterday.

#36 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

I know this is an old thread, but here's 2 cents from a guy who probably goes through a liter of fish sauce a month: for things that will be fried or otherwise cooked, or when I need a large quantity, I use Tiparos. It's cheap, widely available, and tastes clean and strong. For fresh dishes, where the flavor matters more and I'll use a smaller amount, I use Red Boat. It has a superior flavor, like drinking prosciutto essence on the beach. It's much pricier than Tiparos (though still reasonably cheap for a condiment.)

#37 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

BliS does a bourbon barrel-aged version of Red Boat's fish sauce. It's really expensive but really good, nice item for finishing a dish. I've only ever seen it on the shelf at DiLaurenti's in Seattle but you can mail order it as well:

http://blisgourmet.c...arrel-aged.html

Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#38 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

"Premium Fish Sauces to Try: Red Boat, IHA, Megachef"

http://www.vietworld...a-megachef.html