Photo

Tambayan

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

We had a group meal here, but that's in the events thread, and there is a general Filipino thread...but there wasn't a thread for Tambayan itself...so here it is. Here's the info from the group meal we had there, too:

http://portlandfood....pm/page__st__40

So, the GF lives nearby and had never been. I keep forgetting about it, too...and I don't know why, the food is good and cheap and it is so close.

They are closed Monday and Tuesday, but they are now open for lunch, starting at 11am, Wed.-Sun. There used to be a small market in there, but they took that out and spruced up the joint a bit. It's much nicer in there now and there are more tables, too.

Stopped in at 3pm and had Lechon Kawali (chunks of fried pork belly), pancit malabon (rice noodles tossed in a sauce with chicharon, topped with seafood, pork, sliced eggs and fried garlic), fried rice with garlic, and a small flan. Total was around $17...yeah, ridiculous.

The pork belly was delicious - crunchy on the outside (not coated with anything, just big chunks tossed into the fryolator), juicy and fatty and meaty (not greasy at all) on the inside. Perfect.

The pancit had lots of tender bits of pork, tiny shrimp, tiny squid rings, and who knows what else, with crushed chicharon, thick spaghetti-like rice noodles, topped with cut up hard-boiled eggs in a light sauce. Very tasty.

The fried rice with garlic was white rice with a crunchy texture with fried bits of garlic throughout. Not greasy, no soy sauce, not like Chinese fried rice at all. A huge plate of it for $2.50.

And the flan, was very delicious and rich (the small is STILL $1.50!), though the texture was a bit lumpy. Still, one of the richest, best tasting flans I have ever had. Love this stuff.

Found a menu posted online here:
http://www.menupix.c...menu9823892.pdf
Never give up! Never surrender!

#2 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

Oh GOD. The FLAN.

That is all.

#3 Catering Beyond Borders

Catering Beyond Borders
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

I've been curious. Gonna' give it a try. Thanks for the info on some of the dishes, Jill-O.
-- Roman Cabana, Catering Beyond Borders -- an Assoc. of Portland's 'Fave Ethnic Restaurants

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

Hey, they have a new website:

http://www.tambayancuisine.com

#5 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

:drool: We HAVE to go back with the ethnic meals soon...

#6 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

Pictures from our group meal on May 28, 2011 are here.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#7 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

The new Merc. reviewer (Chris Onstad) reviews Tambayan:

http://www.portlandm...ent?oid=5619848

Our guide Tina, a native of Manila, greeted the cheery waitress in Tagalog, and I settled back like a pampered traveler, asking only that we sample a baseline of traditional dishes with no care for stateside comfort zones. Soon they arrived: crispy pata, bobis, pancit bihon, and sinigang na baboy. Steve assured me that the halo halo would not be forgotten, and we began sharing.

Interesting first choice for a review, and I salute it wholeheartedly. Good on ya, Chris!

#8 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,601 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

Excellent review.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#9 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Yeah, that's a great review, I agree. Never really thought about this place now, but after that review I'm compelled to go check it out.

#10 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

I agree! A little big-wordy... but great! Going wed day off for lunch. Psyched!
breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

#11 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

Good, solid, filling, cost effective lunch yesterday here. Huge mound of thick rice noodles served room temp (woulda liked hot) SMOTHERED in shrimp, squid, pork, hard cooked egg, and ground chicharron. Nothing stellar, but totally tasty and fresh. Nice talk with the owner. She's great! She was very happy to have been reviewed so favorably(Merc).
Check her out. Seven days til 8, 7 on Sundays.

Oh, and of the variety of sweet buns to go, the coconut baked doughy ones are freaking out of control!!!! Super fresh, five for $3.99, hand made (wherever) complete with a single fork tines stab marksfor steam.
breakin' the law, breakin' the law!