blue cheese dressing

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:55 AM

It's no secret that I love the Wedge Salad. My attempts to make the dressing at home have been less than ideal, though. And I hate buying the bottled stuff.

Does anyone have a good blue cheese dressing recipe? Bonus points for one that isn't totally awful for you.

#2 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:57 AM

It no secret that I love the Wedge Salad. My attempts to make the dressing at home have been less than ideal, though. And I hate buying the bottled stuff.

Does anyone have a good blue cheese dressing recipe? Bonus points for one that isn't totally awful for you.

Why not e-mail Rodney and ask him? I'd love to know too.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#3 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:11 AM

I mix blue cheese with rice wine vinegar and a little mayo or water to thin it. Nothing like Rodney's but I like the sweet/sour tang of the rice wine vinegar.

#4 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:44 AM

i use a little buttermilk and sourcream instead of mayo, but the rice wine vinegar is still there. as a side note, sometimes i give it a dash of hot sauce(chalula)if im feeling spicy!!
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

I always keep it really simple: blue cheese whisked into heavy cream or mayo with a little water or milk to thin it with salt and pepper and something to brighten it, either lemon juice or vinegar. But I'm usually not planning ahead. Here's CI's recipe:

Rich and Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing

2 1/2 ounces blue cheese , crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
3 tablespoons buttermilk
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
ground black pepper

Sounds overly complex to me.

Here's an article from Ed Levine:

http://food.yahoo.co...iceberg-lettuce

And recipe from Commander's Palace:

Commander's Palace Blue Cheese Dressing
(makes 2 1/3 cups)

Ingredients

1/2 pound good-quality blue cheese (I like Maytag blue cheese -Ed)
1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
Kosher salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup cane, cider, or malt vinegar
Juice of 1 small lemon
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup olive oil

I'd prefer dairy base though rather than olive oil. This is essentially a vinaigrette with blue cheese.

Martha Stewart:

Ingredients
Serves 4
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 2 ounces)
Coarse salt and ground pepper

The above is pretty similar to what's in my CIA cookbook.

More Martha:

Makes 1 3/4 cups
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme
4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

I can't find a truly simple recipe.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

Wow, MSG, thanks for the recipe research.

#7 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

I've never quite found a recipe I liked, but the Worcestershire seems to be a key to a good dressing. I think the last time I made it I used mayo, sour cream, Worcestershire, lemon, lots of pepper and the cheese. Not bad, not great.

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

btw, Joy of Cooking only had a basic vinaigrette with blue cheese blended in.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#9 Denise

Denise
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:43 AM

My recipe has the same basics as the ones above, but I like to melt some blue cheese and mix it in with the mayo, then add the crumbled. I also put in a pinch of dried mustard.

#10 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

My recipe has the same basics as the ones above, but I like to melt some blue cheese and mix it in with the mayo, then add the crumbled. I also put in a pinch of dried mustard.

I like the dry mustard idea. I'll try to remember it the next time I whip up some dressing.

#11 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

I love the wedge! Here's a version I've been making for a couple of years and I think it's a pretty good substitute. It's a version of homemade ranch gone blue. Keeps for weeks or share it with friends (I take a quart of this to one of my friends everytime I go to visit.)

St Maximo's Shitload "O" Bluecheese Dressing

1 quart of buttermilk
1 pint of sour cream
1 pint of Best Foods Mayo
1 tub of either TJ's Gorgonzola or Blue Cheese - or more
3 T. Onion Powder
2 T. Garlic Powder
1 T. Fish Sauce
Juice of one lemon
2 T dried chives
1 T dried dill
Lots of ground black pepper
Kosher Salt to taste

In a blender: blend about half the the blue cheese with some of the buttermilk, onion powder and garlic powder. Combine it with the rest of the ingredients in a big bowl. Makes a half a gallon. You can substitute fat free or low fat sour cream successfully, but low fat mayo does something bizarre to the texture.

Give some away as gifts or provide wedge salad to the group at the next PFG Picnic.

#12 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

Does anyone have a great blue cheese recipe? I've made 4 different recipes so far and they suck. :-( My favorite blue cheese dressing is K&Z's, it's super cream & garlicky without any mayo flavor.

#13 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:41 PM

Does anyone have a great blue cheese recipe? I've made 4 different recipes so far and they suck. :-( My favorite blue cheese dressing is K&Z's, it's super cream & garlicky without any mayo flavor.

From an older thread - my recipe - http://portlandfood....dpost__p__54470

#14 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

**le merge**

#15 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

**le merge**

le thank you! :-)

#16 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

This thread plus the discussion about wedge salads over on the Big Salads thread, prompted me to make a wedge salad for lunch today.

I used MSG's basic method of blending blue cheese and cream in the blender, added some blanched garlic, s&p, a bit of lemon juice and a bit of sour cream. Tasted very good. Not K&Z great (which is my gold standard for blue cheese dressing) but still very good and far superior to anything I've tried making in the past.

One thing I didn't think about though, I had all of this in the blender, and was adding a little bit of cream at a time since I wasn't sure how much to use & didn't have more cheese to adjust if there was too much cream. And I ended up making whipped cream! Funny. I just thinned it out with water. It worked out fine and made for a very tasty wedge salad with some crisped pancetta on top & various veggies added in.

I'm going to try a couple of the other recipes in this thread, but after tasting the dressing I made today, I'm not sure that I like mayo in blue cheese dressing.

#17 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

I've very often just mixed rice wine vinegar, a little olive oil, and blue cheese - usually mashed it together with a fork rather than using a blender.

#18 tdub

tdub
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

Grew up for years in Newton, Iowa, home of arguably some of the best blue cheese in the states at Maytag Dairy. My mom pretty much aped the Dairy's recipe for a while, but mutated it over time to her preference. I thought Maytag recommended way too much mayo. We reversed the sour creme/mayo ratio, but yeah, it always seems right to add a dash of Worcestershire and use lemon juice instead of vinegar for acidity and instead of the sharp bite of raw garlic, she'd take a knife and scrape an onion half to extract just the juice of the onion into the mix.

• 4 oz blue cheese
• 1 cup sour cream
• 3 Tbs mayo
• 2 tsp lemon juice
• dash salt
• 2 drops Worcestershire sauce
• 2 drops Tabasco sauce
• 1t or 2t onion juice scrapings
* pepper to taste (I like lots)
* Optional: a bit of celery or celery salt

If your consistency is too much like blue cheese dip (not a problem!), then add a little water, buttermilk or heavy cream in there for creaminess. I like a little water. Buttermilk Ranches it up a bit too much and cream is just OK. Dilute it with a little water, but not too much.

Mix it up and wish you could be back in Iowa to follow your salad with a big steak and creamed corn. And then hop on the plane back home.

#19 eyah

eyah
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Cooking

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:24 PM

I love wedge salad too because I'm a fan of eating vegetable salad,I will try all the blue cheese dressing recipe that I read in this post starting today, and every another day. :D