Guilty Confessions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:24 AM

We all know that you are mistresses (and master) of fine chocolate and your tastes are, no doubt, discerning. However, if, and when you must reach for "common" chocolate candy (i.e. a fast grab at a 7-11) what are your guilty pleasures? I tend toward Almond Joy in that rare occasion. My mate can't resist a Snickers. Another friend is gaga over Nutrageous, and yet another loves the new M&M bar.

Do any of the mass-produced chocolates out there on the market hold favor with you?

Best regards,

Amanda

#2 alma

alma
  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:50 AM

We all know that you are mistresses (and master) of fine chocolate and your tastes are, no doubt, discerning. However, if, and when you must reach for "common" chocolate candy (i.e. a fast grab at a 7-11) what are your guilty pleasures? I tend toward Almond Joy in that rare occasion. My mate can't resist a Snickers. Another friend is gaga over Nutrageous, and yet another loves the new M&M bar.

Do any of the mass-produced chocolates out there on the market hold favor with you?

Best regards,

Amanda

Oh, yes. I love chocolate in all its forms high and low. A frozen snickers bar takes me right back to my girlhood. I love Reeces peanut butter cups, too.

#3 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Humankind's attempts at creating beauty in our day-to-day lives, including food and drink, decorative and fine arts, fashion, architecture and design, graciousness, generosity and humor.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

Best regards,

Amanda

Oh, yes. I love chocolate in all its forms high and low. A frozen snickers bar takes me right back to my girlhood. I love Reeces peanut butter cups, too.

Snickers ... such a good combo that people make Snickers ice cream and shakes, pies and cakes ... peanuts, caramel, chocolate and that nougat made from window putty. Amazing. Also, the peanut butter formula in Reese's, the taster on that deserves a life-time achievement award.

#4 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:34 PM

Mmm....mouth full of Snickers and throw in a twisty little pretzel on top. Yum! Reese's rock too.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#5 alma

alma
  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:43 PM

oh, yeah, twix.... and hostess cupcakes (which probably don't contain any actual chocolate)... and I used to love marathon bars. I don't think those are made anymore.

#6 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:24 PM

Mounds. Maybe that's why I love Southpark's chocolate crostatta with coconut ice cream, and upscale take on the former.
Homer, upon seeing an ear of corn at a market: "Interesting...it reminds me of a corndog, only without the dog!"

Thanks to http://kawaiinot.com/icons.php for the avatar.

#7 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:10 AM

Cadbury's with hazelnuts and raisins. When I was a small kid, Hershey's with almonds. My mother was strict about candy so I had buy my own when she was not with me. They were a dime then.

I just love nuts with my chocolate.

#8 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:53 AM

oh, yeah, twix.... and hostess cupcakes (which probably don't contain any actual chocolate)... and I used to love marathon bars. I don't think those are made anymore.

Alma - although they no longer make the Marathon Bar there's a bar called the Curly Wurly that's pretty similar. I've only ever seen it in England though.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#9 sahagún

sahagún
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:59 PM

Bit-o-Honey, Sweet-Tarts

#10 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

When I was a yute* one of my favorite candy bars was the $100,000. I think it's still being made by Nestle, but it's called the 100 Grand Bar. It's crispy rice and caramel covered in chocolate. Heavenly!

I also like Kit-Kats but I've heard tell of something called Kit-Kat Dark covered, obviously, in dark chocolate. I'd love to try that, but I don't think it's in national production.

Oh yeah… Almond Joy! How could I forget! I love the combination of coconut and toasted almonds and chocolate. If that's not available, then Mounds will work almost as well.

Another favorite (sorry, is this too many???) is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Yumm! I actually tried to replicate that filling but couldn't really come close. Anyone got a good recipe?

For those of you who like to follow the history of candy making in the U.S., you really should read the book 'Candyfreak' by (I kid you not) Steve Almond. Very entertaining. I think that Splendid Table did a segment on him. Great food program, by the way.

When I lived in France, I would just grab anything at le supermarché made by Cote d'Or like their dark chocolate with toasted pecans (my favorite) or dark chocolate with hazelnuts (close second) or dark chocolate with candied orange peels or dark chocolate and almonds… you get the idea. Pure heaven.

* yute, obscure movie reference, synonymous with youth. See the film 'My Cousin Vinny' for full explanation.

--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me