• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

Hi Jill,
The menu changes steadily but not daily, you can see it at www.laurelhurstcafe.com and we normally update it on twitter and facebook.
We will probably stop offering a soup for the summer months.
Ken

#22 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

I returned from Southern Oregon yesterday afternoon and hadn't had anything to eat all day. It was sunny and hot and Laurelhurst Cafe was the first place I thought of for a casual outdoor lunch and some wine.

John ordered the same turkey sandwich he had and liked before. He even liked it better this time. He thought the roll it was better. It was softer than last time and the cranberry sauce tasted a little more like cranberries than olives this time. He ordered chips with it.

I had a slice of broccoli cheddar quiche and a salad with arugula, chevre, beets and pistacios. My quiche came with some lightly dressed side greens so I gave them to John to enjoy since I was already abundant with salad.

To drink, John had the Oakshire Amber again and I had some pinot noir and a fabla, which was really good. It was a beautiful summer day and there were three dogs with their people in the patio area. I just love it that this patio is a cozy, dog-friendly place.

I feel like this was the perfect place to go yesterday and I'm so glad we chose to go there. I met Ken's beautiful little family and it was nice to see Greg, the chef, again. There were more people there this time than when we went the last time. Still, I'd like to see it get more love.

Maybe we can set up a doggy happy hour event here or something. Would anyone be up for that? I like the food here and this is the first time since Hungry Hippo that I've wanted to eat at an establishment in this location (47th & Burnside). It continues to hold promise for me.

Best regards,

Amanda

#23 tsw51

tsw51
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

Maybe we can set up a doggy happy hour event here or something. Would anyone be up for that?

For sure!
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - The Lorax

#24 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:33 PM

We have slowly seen an increase of Dog Owners coming in, and they are most welcome. We even had one of our regulars come by with his Parrot on the Patio, which I must admit, was weird.

We are in the process of changing our hours, and are looking to expand into more of a breakfasty type of place, with bagels and breakfast sandwiches all day, and new hours opening at 7:00 am seven days a week. This is all still a rough draft, I'm thinking out loud.

Thanks for your support Amanda.

#25 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

What kind of coffee do you serve? Always looking for a decent early breakfast place with good coffee that is close to the GF's. Will you have less sandwich-y choices too? Whose bagels are you going to use? Are those enough questions for ya?? ;o)

Oh, and do you serve your sandwiches as a salad, on a bed of greens? I opt for that a lot these days...

Still haven't made it over, I am sorry to say. Need to remedy that soon!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#26 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

Hi Jill,
Thanks for the questions, I'll try to take them one by one.
We serve Water Ave Coffee. They are a microroaster located on Water Ave in the Southeast.
FWIW, we serve Steven Smith Teas (hot and iced), which are delicious.
I'm not promising this for the opening week, but non sandwichy stuff will include a quiche, coffee cake, scones, & muffins that we make in house, along with our cookies and biscotti. We haven't settled on a pastry baker, but we are likely to give Fleur de Lis the opportunity, since they already deliver to us, and have been great with our bread.
We currently serve most items as part of a sandwich, but we have been known to leave off the bread for those that don't want it, but the menu will be centered around quick, delicious and reasonable. (as quick as freshly scrambled eggs and toast can be put together).
We have turned our different sandwiches into salads for people before, and carry Udi's, which allows the gluten free customers to try our sandwiches.

Regarding bagels, we are leaning toward Kettleman's on SE 11th St, they seem like a good fit for our space and concept.

I hope I didn't miss one of your questions. If you have any other, just send it along, and we'll give it a shot.

#27 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

One more thing Jill-O
We currently offer two salads, we're going to add a third soon, but both of the current salads, Caesar and Roasted Beet are offered with a protein component, normally either Tuna or Turkey Breast, but we've added both bacon and corn beef to salads on request. We try to accomodate, like Nick's menu says: "You have a right to have it your way, and we have a right to charge you for it"

#28 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

Lurkers, are you out there?

It's slow tonight, so...

Tonight, a special discount for Portland Food Readers.
Mention the Portland Food Blog and get your choice of a Large Order of Fries or $3 off a Dessert at the Laurelhurst Cafe.

We're at 47th and East Burnside, the food is great, the place is clean (I know, because I just cleaned it!)
Come on Down!

Call for reservations, if that's how you roll at 503.548.6320.

Ken Bareilles

#29 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:10 PM

Drove home via Burnside today and decided to stop in and get some food to go for my wife and have a bite to eat myself. Even though the menu isn't exactly the same, I'm going to post the current one from the website because it's close:

Sandwiches:
(Served with Tossed Greens or Kettle Chips, Add Fries for $1)
Relished Turkey: Applewood Smoked Turkey, Cranberry Olive Relish, Ementhaller, Ciabatta 8.5
Tuna: Yellowfin lightly tossed w/ Lemon, Mayo, Cornichon, Red Onion & Olives, Dill Havarti, Focaccia 8.5
BLT: Applewood Smoked Bacon, Arugula, Sun Dried Tomato, Horseradish Aioli, Ciabatta 8.5
Egg Salad: Cornichon Relish, Chives, Red Onion, Larrupin Mustard, Focaccia 7.5

Classic Panini:
Pig & Fig: Finocchiona Salami, Fig, Gorgonzola, Focaccia 8
Arugula Caprese: Sun Dried Tomato Pesto, Arugula, Fresh Mozzarella 7.5
Piquillo Pepper, Basil Pesto, Chevre 7.5
Nutella, Confectioner's Sugar, Ciabatta 5

House Panini:
Reuben: Corned Beef, Sauerkraut, Ementhaller, Russian Dressing, Ciabatta 8.5
Wallace: Sun Dried Tomato Pesto, Tillamook Cheddar, Muenster, Arugula, Ciabatta 7.5
Melted Heart: Artichoke Hearts, Pickled Red Onion, Roasted Garlic-Cannelini Bean Spread, Dill Havarti, Ciabatta 7.5

Salads and Savories
(Add Tuna or Turkey for $3.00)
Caesar: Hearts of Romaine, Parmesan, White Anchovy, Parmesan Crisp 7.5
Roasted Beet: Arugula, Pistachio, Chevre, Champagne Vinaigrette 7.5
Quiche of the Day: served with Tossed Greens 7.5
Breakfast Sandwiches
Served All Day on Fleur de Lis Focaccia with Fruit
Whole Shebang: Applewood Smoked Bacon, Sun Dried Tomato Pesto, Arugula, Tillamook Cheddar, Freshly Scrambled Egg 6.5
Ham & Egg: Black Forest Ham, Tillamook Cheddar, Freshly Scrambled Egg 5.5
Egg & Tillamook: Freshly Scrambled Egg & Tillamook Cheddar 4

Small Bites:
Fries with House Seasoning small 1.75 large 3.5
Marinated Goat Cheese with Crusty Bread 4
Olives & Bread 3.5

Kids' Menu
Grilled Ham & Cheese on Dave's Good Seed Bread 5
Graze Plate 5
PB & J 4
Petite Quiche 4

Happy Hour
Everyday from 4pm - 8pm
Microbrews 3
House wine 4
Cup of soup 2.5
Large fries 2.5
Mixed olives + bread 2.5

I thought it was pretty obvious from the menu, the beers on tap, the desserts, etc, that they gave a damn about the quality of the food. I ordered the BLT for myself, along with a caesar salad. I ordered the turkey that Amanda describes for my wife to go along with some bacon wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese.

My BLT was quite good. Flavor combination with the assertive dried tomatoes and thick-cut bacon, plus the horseradish, was very good. Ciabatta was toasted and little crackly, perhaps a bit too much for many people with sensitive mouths.

Caesar was good. It was lemony and creamy, funkified with anchovy. It was huge. I ate half and brought the rest home for my wife. There were large shavings of parm, plus a crunchy frico.

My wife really enjoyed her turkey sandwich. I had a taste and I thought the balance of flavors was spot on, the cranberry-olive relish adding a nice tart-sweet-salty accompaniment to the turkey.

My wife ate both the dates, but she said she really liked them.

Good addition to the neighborhood, I think. Given that Eastmoreland Market closes too early for us to get there usually on weekdays and this is a lot closer to us than Meat Cheese Bread, I imagine it will make it into our rotation. It's also an easy stop for my wife on her way home from work.

I'd say it's at the opposite end of the sandwich spectrum from Bunk (or Michael's), more inline with some of the bakeries or Evoe, with lighter sandwiches. The offerings are lighter than Eastmoreland or MCB, too, which might be my one complaint. I'd like to see a couple heartier, more masculine, sandwiches on the menu. I think the only sandwich that someone who wears flannel might want is the reuben. I'd like to see at least another offering more of the meatball/sausage/roast beef variety -- something a carnivore can crave.

Good food, though, and one of the better non-Asian/non-Mexican spots east of 39th and south of the Banfield that I can think of.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#30 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

Glad you liked the food, Nick.
There should be a new menu posted on our website in the next few days.
Our new hours are:
Open Everyday 7am to 8pm
Happy Hour 4pm to 8pm.

We have noted your comment about a more substantial meat sandwich.

#31 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

Had a really nice turkey sandwich to go the other day and a very good cup of iced coffee - thanks!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#32 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

Iced coffee. That's so last week. ;-)

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#33 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

Reply edited. I was an idiot and confused Laurelhurst Market with Laurelhurst Cafe. My apologies, and I hope to get to the cafe soon!

#34 iheartfromage

iheartfromage
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

My husband and I had a very enjoyable meal here about a month ago. Food (paninis and a caesar for both of us) was very good. It was a warm evening and the back patio appeared to have been overtaken by some sort of kid's birthday gathering so we sat outside on the non-Burnside side. The only complaint I can muster about the cafe is its lack of an outdoor environment that's conducive to lingering, which admittedly is a challenge to overcome given the location. Chairs/tables rather than tall stools/high tops would be more comfortable and I wish there were more planters, umbrellas or other mechanisms for obscuring the traffic coming from all directions. I wonder, Ken, if you're limited by the city (or some other entity) relative to how much you can dress up that corner?

#35 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hi Fromage,
We have made a more sheltered environment on the 47th St side, similar to what you suggested, with two umbrellas, three of the bamboo planters, and a couple round top, shorter tables, with chairs. (This happened in preparation for our new morning hours, we wanted more parking access on the Burnside Side). There is no reason we couldn't do more with the front space, but given the changing weather, we aren't sure if it is the right move going into the winter. Perhaps next spring. Glad to hear you liked your sandwiches and Caesar.

For now, the patio on the Burnside Side is the place that seems most enjoyable, and certainly most developed. I imagine the sitting area on 47th St will be the next space we develop further.

Thanks for the feedback.

#36 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

We have made revisions to our menu to adjust for the Fall/Winter Season.
The new menu is available in HTML format by clicking the menu link at our website: www.laurelhurstcafe.com

Or you can look at the pdf:

http://www.laurelhur...l 2011 Menu.pdf

#37 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

Drive-by linking:
http://www.laurelhur...e.com/menu.html

Thanks for the HTML menu, Ken! It is appreciated...

#38 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

Finally got around to trying Laurelhurst Cafe today. Overall, a quite positive experience. Ordered the Pig 'n Fig and the BLT.

Posted Image

I'll get my one disappointment out of the way first: the Pig 'n Fig was not good at all. It's gorgonzola, Finocchiona salame, and fig chardonnay spread on pressed panini bread. Sounds great, but the sandwich never came together like it should have. The whole thing was just so dense and surprisingly, given the components, bland. My main complaint was with the Finocchiona salame. Whatever brand they're using, it is almost completely devoid of flavor. I slipped out a few slices to try on their own to see if the far-more-assertive fig spread and gorgonzola were overshadowing it, but no, the salame by itself lacked that kick of salt you find in most other varieties. Also, the panini bread was very thick and hard to bite through. I couldn't finish the sandwich.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, their BLT on the other hand...now that's a sandwich. A more than generous serving of smoky, salty, meaty, thick-cut bacon; crisp green lettuce; a piquant-but-not-nostril-searing horseradish aioli; and vinegar-tinged sun-dried tomatoes made this one of the very best BLTs I have ever eaten. The ciabatta roll is from Fleur De Lis, which just supports my theory that Fleur De Lis will one day supply its bread to every sandwich shop in Portland. I've always considered the BLT to be a fine if a somewhat boring sandwich, but this one is still on my mind hours later. It really is terrific.

Posted Image

I added fries to my sandwich for a buck, and these are really good. They're generously seasoned with salt and spices, heavy on the garlic powder, and nicely crisp, with fluffy innards. I loved them.

Service was very friendly and helpful. I'm looking forward to going back and trying their Pittsburgh (slow-roasted rib eye) sandwich when it reappears on the menu. And ordering that BLT again. Damn it's good.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#39 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

Hi Adam,
First of all, thank you for trying our shop.
Sorry to take so long to reply to your post, we have been pretty busy lately.
Your comments about the Pig N Fig are duly noted, and you might be interested to note that we have recently changed the salami from a Finnochiona to a Toscano. It is a more assertive slice of Salami. I can honestly say that your comment was a factor (one of many) in our decision to switch the ingredients.
As for the bread, that is the same Fleur de Lis Ciabatta, just pressed on the Panini.

As for me, what I always tell people when they come in is that the Pittsburgh (when it's available) is my favorite sandwich we sell, but the BLT is my favorite of the permanent menu.

Ken Bareilles
Laurelhurst Cafe

#40 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

Hi, Ken, thanks for the reply. It may just have been that particular brand of Finnochiona, because I've had some really good ones (Olympic Provisions' comes to mind, although that's probably not feasible for a sandwich of this size). As for the bread, maybe mine was just over-crisped? It was very hard to bite through, and I typically love the Fleur de Lis ciabatta.

I've been busy lately so I haven't had time to do a whole lot of eating out, plus my schedule just got a whole lot busier, but I'm still itching to give the Pittsburgh a try when it's available again. If it's anywhere near as good as the BLT, I'll be a happy camper.

Again, thanks for the response!

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza