Laurelhurst Cafe

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 kjcanfield

kjcanfield
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

I noticed driving home today that what once was Dante's coffeeshop, deli, pizza, cheesesteaks etc on Burnside, right across 47th from the Police Station... was undergoing a complete facelift and has what looks to be a liquor lic. app on the door. Anyone know what's going in? It would be nice to see something decent pop up over there - they are installing metal siding, kind of looks like a taco place? Anyone have the scoop?

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

The OLCC permit request says Three Suns Properties LLC and Dante's Coffee Shop.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 kjcanfield

kjcanfield
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Really? How disappointing.... those folks just seem set on beating a dead horse. I have never seen anyone in that place, no matter how many times they have changed up the theme...

#4 jrj

jrj
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

What about East Burnside and 24th? There's been a sign in the window next to 808 for a few weeks...

www.barflymag.com/jobs/?job_id=12928

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

I was annoyed when I saw that. I had asked that landlord about a spot a couple times and the refrain was "no more food". They must have gotten desperate. I've seen the sign a couple times. I know that Pacific Pie Co is moving from their current spot. Wouldn't surprise me if it's them. But that's just a guess.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 Burban89

Burban89
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:07 PM

It's going to be a great little place called the Laurelhurst Cafe where you can get beer, wine, and specialty sandwiches. It's opening today, but hasn't had it's official grand opening yet. They're still working out the menu details. I'm going to go check it out.

#7 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:43 PM

Thereby creating some confusion with Laurelhurst Market. . . .

#8 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

Welcome to the forum, Burban89.

I know they moved a lot of equipment out either for remodeling or to make way for new. There's a new paint job. It looked open when I passed last night. So far I don't see anything any more appealing about the place than before. At least from streetview.

Hopefully they'll change their sign if they want to at least appear upscale. It basically looks like the old place with a facelift. I never went to the old place with their million versions of cheesesteak. If I were back living in that neighborhood again I would probably try it, though. As is I just pass it on by. I'm not sure what it would take to get me to stop and eat there.

Best regards,

Amanda

#9 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

Hi,
I'm the manager of the new place, The Laurelhurst Cafe.
We opened in March, but it took a couple weeks to get the sign changed.

It is a totally new venture. New Ownership, Management, Culinary Team, and Concept.
Basically, we are a neighborhood cafe with sandwiches and salads, beer and wine, pastries, and coffee drinks and tea.

This is more of a food blog, so I'll mention that our Chef's name is Greg Vitunic, he studied here in Portland, but has most of his work experience in Pittsburgh. Our Pastry Chef is Melissa Carey-Ragland, formerly of Alba and Lagniappe.

Our goals are simple, to be a totally reliable, neighborhood cafe. If you are in the neighborhood, stop by, we won't disappoint.

#10 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for the info and welcome to the site.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#11 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

Hi,
I'm the manager of the new place, The Laurelhurst Cafe.
We opened in March, but it took a couple weeks to get the sign changed.
It is a totally new venture. New Ownership, Management, Culinary Team, and Concept.
Basically, we are a neighborhood cafe with sandwiches and salads, beer and wine, pastries, and coffee drinks and tea. This is more of a food blog, so I'll mention that our Chef's name is Greg Vitunic, he studied here in Portland, but has most of his work experience in Pittsburgh. Our Pastry Chef is Melissa Carey-Ragland, formerly of Alba and Lagniappe. Our goals are simple, to be a totally reliable, neighborhood cafe. Don't drive across town for us, but if you are in the neighborhood, stop by, we won't disappoint.

We pass by your place often.

Congrats on your new business and best of luck to you.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#12 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:30 AM

Thanks,
It feels like it has been an all out sprint, but now things seem to be settling down and its turning into more of a marathon. Does anyone know where nice patio furniture can be purchased at a reasonable price?

#13 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

I've noticed that quite a few places use patio furniture I recognize from Costco. *shrug* The Hillsboro Costco is the largest in the world apparently and has stuff you'll never see anywhere else, a lot of it aimed at restaurants and small businesses. You can look at it online at costco.com and see if it meets your criteria before trekking out to Hillsboro.

#14 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:40 PM

Don't overlook Target either. Very good quality stuff lately.

#15 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

thanks,
I prefer used, commercial grade, but there isn't a lot of stuff like that available this time of year.

#16 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

thanks,
I prefer used, commercial grade, but there isn't a lot of stuff like that available this time of year.

The Costco Stuff is cheap, sturdy and comfortable. It's also used by at least half of the folks that have outdoor seating in the city.

#17 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

I've been wanting to stop at Laurelhurst Cafe and so tonight we stopped in for bite to eat. I was pleasantly surprised. They have a nice selection of sandwiches and salads, as well as quiche and some dessert-y type items. I got the pig & fig pannini. This has salame, mission fig & chardonnay spread, thinly-sliced apples and goat cheese. It came with lightly dressed greens on the side. I really enjoyed it. I was surprised I'd want something porky, but it sounded too good to resist and it was quite delicious. It was on foccacia and pressed hot. I found it a bit on the salty side, but that's because of the meat. I would probably order it again. Very good. John had a turkey sandwich with emmanthaler cheese and an olive cranberry sauce on ciabatta. John really liked this. He had fries with it and they were good, too. I thought his sandwich was good, but felt the flavor of the olives in the sauce overpowered the cranberries. You could still get a little hint of their sweetness, though. It was also heated. John thought it was great. Nearly flawless. Both sandwiches also came with a small dill pickle. They had three beers on tap this evening (I think they usually have four) so John had the Oakshire Amber. I had a glass of wine that was a red blend. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but they have other wines available. I just figured I'd give that one a shot.

The atmosphere is nice and casual. They've got picnic tables and benches out to the side. A couple families with kids and a dog were out there enjoying their meals. It's counter-service and bus your own (or not, if you don't care to). They have quiche, cookies, creme brulee and other tasty items, as well. I think next time I'll get a slice of quiche. Both the ones they had there in the case looked really great. Ken told us the pastry chef from Alba Osteria is doing their baked goods so for those of you lucky enough to have gone there and had Melissa's goodies can still get a taste of it here. At least on the dessert and cookie end of things.

I go past this place often either on the bus or via car and have been curious about it in its new incarnation. It exceeded my expectations as far as the food goes. The vibe is laid back and you can get a really good meal at a good price there. I have no doubt we'll be back. They have a long happy hour everyday they are open, also, that starts at 4:00. They are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. If you're in the mood for a salad and creative sandwich type of deal you might like stopping here to get it when you're over this way. I'm sure glad we did.

Best regards,

Amanda

#18 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

Hi Amanda,
Ken here, thanks for the review, and thanks for the business last night. We appreciate you and John giving us a shot.

Ken Bareilles
Laurelhurst Cafe

#19 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

Ken, do have a website and menu up that we can look at?
Never give up! Never surrender!

#20 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

http://www.laurelhurstcafe.com/