Lawsuit Claims Taco Bell's Meat Isn't All Beef

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

"Alabama law firm Beasley Allen has filed a class action lawsuit against Taco Bell that claims the chain is falsely calling its taco filling "seasoned beef" and "seasoned ground beef" when allegedly the mixture, which would be more properly called "Taco Meat Filling," only contains 36% beef."

http://eater.com/arc...really-beef.php

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,045 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

Well, that explains why it's so flavorless. There's more oats than beef in their seasoned beef.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#3 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:31 AM

I always knew they added stuff to it, didn't realize they added THAT much stuff to it.

Of course, when $5 buys you 4lbs of food, should you really be asking yourself what's in it? It's Taco Bell, you probably are drunk or high when you're buying it.

#4 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:44 AM

About the only thing that surprises me about this is that the filler is oat product. All these years I thought it was just cornmeal added in. That or possibly TVP. Taco Bell has never tasted like real meat to me. I do think that if you're going to call something beef it should be at least half or more of said thing. 36% isn't that great. There is a Taco Bell near where I live, but the only way I go there is if the Blazers go over 100 points at a game I attend I get a coupon for a free chalupa. Whoopee! I do love free food, though. If you can call it that.

Best regards,

Amanda

#5 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:25 AM

Another way to get your daily oat fiber intake? :rolleyes:

#6 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

From what I understood years ago, they took their "healthier" meat mix from the Border Lights menu and just used it for their entire line up, and dumped the Border Lights menu line.

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,045 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

http://eater.com/arc...or-law-suit.php

Posted Image

Looks like the lawyers might have gotten it backwards. If it's 88% beef, probably 20% of that is fat, so 32% would be not-meat, technically.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#8 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,593 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

oats?!

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,045 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

They say it's to contribute to the flavor, but I think anyone with a clue realizes it's to lower their food costs.

#10 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,045 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

One interesting question is what the percentages are by volume. This is almost certainly by weight. But oats are very light. It'd be interesting to see how they vary weight by volume.

#11 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,045 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

So, according to nutritiondata.com, a cup of oats is 156g. The only source I can find online says that it's similar to the weight of water, or 8 ozs per cup, which means that it would be 226g. (I imagine the fat percentage matters a lot here.)

#12 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

Whichever the case, that's a great PR response by Taco Bell.

#13 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

So, according to nutritiondata.com, a cup of oats is 156g. The only source I can find online says that it's similar to the weight of water, or 8 ozs per cup, which means that it would be 226g. (I imagine the fat percentage matters a lot here.)

A cup of cooked ground beef weights out around 113g, I'm sure un-cooked it'd be more. Again, what are they doing with the fat, does it stay or is it drained? Either/Or, I do doubt the 35% number being tossed out in the lawsuit.

Depending on how Taco Bell is measuring their %, I'm sure they are right.. but I'm sure the "real" number to most people comes out to less than 88% of just pure beef end product.. but I am pretty certain it is not 35%.

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,045 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

It's not really yeast like you would use to make bread. It's hyrdrolized yeast, yeast extract, or whatever. In other words, it's msg.

#15 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

It sounds like their meat is basically a Mexican style meatloaf (seasonings, binder, filler), but crumbled instead of loafed. I don't think plain old ground beef is necessarily all that bland-tasting, myself. I'll eat Taco Bell if I have to or if it's free, but if I have my way any old taco truck would do me better, I think. I even like Taco Time better than Taco Bell.

Best regards,

Amanda

#16 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

Ground beef unseasoned isn't very tasty at all. It'd make a very bland taco. Even carne asada is marinated to give it some flavor.

#17 tejon

tejon
  • 684 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:17 PM

This is why I don't eat the "meat" at Taco Bell if I have some odd reason to go there. The "seasoned beef" just plain tastes bad, regardless of what's in it. I do admit to loving the 7 layer burrito, which doesn't contain meat of any sort.
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#18 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

I see that the Taco Bell in my neighborhood has Taco Twelve Packs for $10 - that's less than 84 cents apiece for each Faux Meaty Delight!

#19 gturillo

gturillo
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:30 PM

Taco Bell asks: Would it kill you to say you're sorry?

http://www.tacobell....Say_Youre_Sorry

#20 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:26 PM

"We stand behind the quality of every single one of our ingredients, including our seasoned beef, and we want consumers to know that we didn't change our marketing or product because we've always been completely transparent," said Greg Creed, Chief Executive Office, Taco Bell.

The company is placing full page ads in national publications including Wall Street Journal, New York Times and USA Today as well as in local market newspapers including Anniston Star, Birmingham News, Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, New York Post, Montgomery Advertiser, Mobile Press Register and Orange County Register. The company is also executing a campaign to reach its Hispanic customers.

To reach consumers online, the company launched a YouTube video featuring Taco Bell President Greg Creed speaking about the withdrawal of the lawsuit. The video will be placed on the company's YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/tacobell), Facebook page (www.facebook.com/tacobell), website (www.tacobell.com) and supported with an online campaign on leading search engines and social media.

The Advertising Copy reads:

Would it kill you to say you're sorry?

The law firm that brought false claims about our product quality and advertising integrity has voluntarily withdrawn their class action suit against Taco Bell.

No changes to our products or ingredients.
No changes to our advertising.
No money exchanged.
No settlement agreement.

Because we've ALWAYS used 100% USDA-inspected premium beef."

Yeah, if you believe Taco Bell didn't pay them off, I have a bridge I want to sell you! :rolleyes:

But I believe them when they say they haven't changed their product - It's always been garbage, and it still is. And what the hell is USDA-inspected "premium" beef. Is that a new USDA designation? What is that, just below dog food?
signature