chocolate destinations

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alma

alma
  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:06 PM

I am interested in places people have been or would like to go, with a chococentric focus.

Like, I'd love to go to Oaxaca, and to the chocolate museum in Barcellona, and to Ecuador to a plantation, etc. etc.
I know that Vintage chocolates offers a "University of chocolate" in Ecuador, that is a couse of study in chocolate making from the tree to the bar. I was signed up to go last year but couldn't afford it. I'd love to hear from anyone who has gone there, or about other places I can dream about and maybe get to one day.

#2 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

I believe I read of a U-Chocolate-Ecuador on echocolates.com. Is that the one? I'd love to go!

Thanks to e-msg's suggestion I took the tour/tasting at Scharffenberger in Berkeley. A bay-area don't miss.

Recchiuti at the SF Ferry Terminal Bldg is fantastic and worth the trouble, but who needs them when we have the above-named locals?
Homer, upon seeing an ear of corn at a market: "Interesting...it reminds me of a corndog, only without the dog!"

Thanks to http://kawaiinot.com/icons.php for the avatar.

#3 Kuu

Kuu
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:27 PM

Chocolate Destination: Torino, Italy!

Torino is definitely a bit of chocolate heaven at the foothills of the Italian Alps. Here, there is a love affair between great chocolate and hazelnuts called gianduiotto.
Peyrano Chocolates even offers chocolate covered coffee beans (not as good as Sahagun MegaPills - no Stumptown HairBenders to be had)!

Also chocolate drinks... Cioccolato Caldo (hot chocolate, extra-thick and creamy) and Bicerin (like a mocha with a double hit of exceptional quality chocolate and heavy cream floating atop)!

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:51 PM

Oaxaca is pretty wonderful. You don't have all the finished chocolates that you get in Europe or here, but you have this very raw, unrefined chocolate culture where every market has tons of places that will roast and grind beans with whatever spices and flavorings you want. The chocolates don't come out very smooth, but they have interesting complex flavors.

Posted Image

btw, those prices are pesos, so you're talking $2.70 per kilo.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#5 alma

alma
  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:39 PM

I believe I read of a U-Chocolate-Ecuador on echocolates.com. Is that the one? I'd love to go!

That is the program. I'd love to hear from anyone who has been. Part of last year's experience was with a prof. at a Quito University, who talked about some of the early medicial uses of chocolate. And they saw monkeys... I really like monkeys.

#6 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:50 AM

I think I'd really enjoy the Chocolate Tours in Paris with David Lebovitz.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me