Portlandia

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

I don't know if the people on this forum are aware of it, but there is a new show on the IFC called Portlandia that is starting soon. It's put together by Fred Armisen of SNL and Carrie Brownstein of Sleater-Kinney. The show originated from a series of web-clips that Armisen and Brownstein did that ridiculed Pacific NW lifestyle and culture. I have to say, I am super excited about this show and it's pretty hilarious. The show doesn't start until next Friday, but they've put the first episode on Hulu already. The music video that starts the show is amazingly funny. Portland food culture is also ridiculed, as it should be. The first skit brought me to tears.

http://www.hulu.com/...portlandia-farm

#2 LionRock

LionRock
  • Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

It is very funny. One thing confuses me though - is anyone outside of Portland going to care about this at all? Maybe I'm wrong and it will be a huge hit...but I'm thinking that this could also be the next "Austin Stories".

#3 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

Yeah, I am wondering that about this show. I don't know if everybody is going to appreciate all the jokes if they aren't rather familiar with the area. But oh well, it's on IFC so that's probably a good channel for this kind of show and I'll just enjoy it while it lasts.

#4 LionRock

LionRock
  • Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, I'm on the same page as you. I'm not trying to be killjoy, I'm genuinely interested to see if it will have appeal beyond Portland.

#5 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

Love the song. Hated the show.

#6 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

I didn't realize the format of the show. I thought it was hilarious, but like you guys, I wonder if folks outside of Portland are gonna get it and think it as funny.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

I thought it had some clever ideas, but execution was usually shy of those ideas. Needs better editing/directing/acting. I most enjoyed the conversation between the elderly lady in the library and the adult hide-and-go-seeker.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#8 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

Thought it was great. Not worried about whether it has wide appeal, nor do its creators I don't think, as it's on IFC, which isn't Nickelodeon. Plenty of people I know who are not in Portland think it's funny. Plenty of people I know outside of Portland aren't aware it exists nor wouldn't, but these people eat at Cheesecake Factory.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#9 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

I love the sketch aspect to the show. I think that any of these bits, if they went on too long, would be as tiring as the source material.

#10 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:06 PM

Whether it flies or not, I don't know. I believe they're only signed up for six episodes. We're planning to see it in NW Portland next week for a ZipCar function. I might go ahead and sneak a peak at it on hulu sometime this weekend if I get a chance.

Best regards,

Amanda

#11 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

I thought it had some clever ideas, but execution was usually shy of those ideas. Needs better editing/directing/acting.

Exactly. It lost me. I tried watching to the end, but got exhausted from it. I thought the server with the folder, photos & bio on the chicken was hilarious. After that, it became overkill.

Steve Buscemi (was that him?) in the Women's store was funny. But it was just too much for too long, and it became not funny.

Good editing would make a huge difference.

But then again, this is just one opinion from the Westside 'burbs. Which by geography alone, probably makes me a hater. :-)

#12 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

"Tucker Max Protest Organizing"...classic. That's the kind of attention to detail I appreciate.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#13 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

The Portlandia situation reminds me of Almost Live.
(Anyone know/remember that?)

Very popular locally, failed nationally.
I think this will fare better.

Either way - with either mixture - I think it already hysterical.
(I went birthday card shopping the other day at Presents of Mind on Hawthorne and all I could think was "We put birds on things." HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.)
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#14 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

I most enjoyed the conversation between the elderly lady in the library and the adult hide-and-go-seeker.

Amen... I thought the cult chicken farm was the least successful part but it did have a few funny lines.

The adult hide and seek league with the guy hiding in the library since 1979 was straight out of Reed library lore. The library expansion and move of the computer labs (with required logons and keycard access nights and weekends) seems to have end the golden days of homeless living in the library. Of course you still have absolutely insane local Reed alumni and seniors sleeping under their desks to provide color. :w00t:

#15 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

It seems a bit of a place piece, but I thought it was pretty funny. I loved the concept of several of the segments. The bookstore piece was great because I've suffered through that kind of service too many times in this town. I've known a couple of folks that got swallowed up by mini cults on farms too.

All in all it was good satire, but I do wonder about the appeal to people not in the know.

However; If I ever own a chicken I'm going to name him Colin.

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

I think any area with a concentration of Portland types -- San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Austin, Brooklyn, Seattle, Vancouver (BC) -- will all identify.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#17 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

Sounds like I should've stuck it out & watched the hide n go seek library game. I'll go back and watch it.

#18 gturillo

gturillo
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

McMenamins and BAM present "Portlandia" (2011)
The Morals
8:30 p.m. doors; 10:30 p.m. screening
21 and over

* Friday, January 21
* Mission Theater
* Free

Everyone's talking about it. So now let's watch it together.

More details: http://www.mcmenamin...Portlandia-2011

#19 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

Some of the bits I've seen are pretty funny--but one problem, I think, is that Ms. Brownstein just can't act. But, maybe that's for the better, in this case.

#20 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Just thought I'd share this email from a friend of mine. Portlandia at its finest.

Drove through Alberta on the way to Salty’s tonight for dinner with a Vendor. They have their own little scene going on down there. The bikers and pedestrians were a bit out of control. I did a way too courteous stop for a ped before he even approached the cross walk and he didn’t look up from his Ipod/whatever… and then just flipped me off, while looking down at his device, and crossing in front of my van.