34 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

http://neversaidabou...ites.tumblr.com

“I enjoy clicking on separate menu links to view the Appetizers, Salads, Meat Entrees, Fish Entrees, Pastas, and Desserts.” - Nobody

“I hope the phone number and address are actually images so I can’t copy and paste them!” - No persons

“I don’t want the restaurant’s title to appear right away. I want to watch it slowly write itself out … in cursive.” - Nobody

“I log on more frequently since I know the menu is coming soon.” - Frickin’ Nobody

Add your own!

* I admire the effort and money put into a website to make it so complex that not even the newest iPhone or Android can view it properly.
* I enjoy a good Mensa game, like when a restaurant puts their fax number instead of their voice number on their website and I get to try the various permutations in order to find out if they're open or not.
* If a restaurant's website says they have the "best" or "greatest" food ever, I believe them.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

Why would a restaurant today not have at least a simple static address and hours website? It's like not having a phone number.

#3 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

I enjoy it when a restaurant opens it's doors for business yet still has a place-holder website with no info on it.

I love when I have to figure out where the hours and address and phone number are...especially if they are on pages that take me 3 clicks to get to...why put it all on the first page.

I especially enjoy websites where I have to run my mouse over various parts of the screen to even determine what might yield a place to click for any kind of info, especially when it takes 30 seconds to load...and extra points for stupid sound effects. (FOTM, I am looking at you - great wings, worst website ever!!)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#4 jollygrinch

jollygrinch
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:17 PM

"Man, that was a classy Flash splash screen. I'm glad I got to see that for 30 seconds instead of just being able to get the info I'm looking for. And listen to that MIDI! Ah, clever, I see they've opted to put all of their information into a 640x480 flash box and fill the rest of the screen with a tiled textured beige background, excellent."

#5 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

Anybody remember the old Chipotle site? 100% Flash, coupled with mystery meat navigation. It was a bunch of dancing tortilla chips or avocados surrounding their logo. You were meant to click on one of the chips to accomplish something - for example, find a restaurant near you. The problem was, the tortilla chip/links were not labeled until you hovered over them. Furthermore, they were not obviously links. So you'd just fart around, waiting for the introductory animation to finish, then click on a random tortilla chip and hope for the best.

Of course, you'd better have Flash installed, or you were finished.

Their site was so legendarily bad that Vincent Flanders forbade people from entering it into the websitesthatsuck.com daily sucker contest.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#6 sauteslut

sauteslut
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:food, wine, wiskey, women

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

this topic is hilarious. :w00t:

"i like when restaurants update their menu seasonally and their website annually."

"i'm happy that the chef's bio page explains in detail how amazing he is."

"it's fun to click links that say stuff like "menu", "make a reservation", "about us", and "media" and they all take me to the same page that says "under construction"."
L'unico frutto dell'amore č la Banana, č la Banana

Posted Image

#7 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

95% of the time all I want is the Address, Phone Number and Hours - This should always be on the homepage and easy to read. A menu is nice, but only if it's up to date. Dark back grounds are hard for me to read most anytime and with dark print to boot sometimes it's like trying to read with the lights out.

#8 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

"I love restaurants that have no contact information on the website. I feel part of a special in group when I track down where to go."

"I love having to sign up on a Twitter feed to learn what's on the menu."

"It's so fun when there are no prices listed on a menu! I enjoy guessing."
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#9 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

A menu is nice, but only if it's up to date.

Do you mind it if the menu given on line specifically states that it is just a smaple menu?
I know several people have expressed frustration that our menu isn't updated- we change it every day and I just don't have the time to do that.
For me, having a menu up even if it isn't current allows people to see at least what kind of things we serve and what pricing to expect?

Is that better than nothing?
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#10 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

QuoVadis, yes, for me that is definitely better than nothing.

It's great to be able to see the daily menu, but you're right, in a small operation like yours, that's just about impossible. But having a sample menu labeled as such gives me a lot of information about what to expect food and price -wise.

I personally see it as a bonus if there's an up-to-date menu, but I only expect it from places that change their menu monthly or seasonally (or less).

#11 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

What VJ said...

#12 Francine the Machine

Francine the Machine
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

I personally don't mind if the menu is of the moment, just want it to give a fair idea of prices/dishes. I think it's nice to have an element of surprise when you get to a place, sit down, are given a menu, and then start the fun process of picking out an item, or items. Checking out a website, getting your heart set on a menu item, fixating on eating that, then getting there, and having it be 86'd is a bummer, so better to see what's actually available. This just happened to me at Tasty & Sons - and man, i wanted that Lobster Roll!

#13 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

I like to review the menu for any place that's new so I can get an idea of what type of cuisine they are presenting. It is helpful to have it clearly spelled out as a sample menu. Sometimes, you see an item that is tempting and only to get there and find that's not available.

99% of the time, I want hours of operation (please make this current (frustrating to show up for lunch on Sunday only to find it closed), also reservation policy and address/phone number. Put it right up front. I'm tired of having to negotiate around websites trying to find this basic info. Sometimes it's under info, or contact us or at the bottom of the menu. It's never consistent. Put it on the front page instead of some stupid scrolling art work with piano music. And please don't put it in small font at the bottom corner.

What would be cool, would be to have current average estimated wait time for a table on the front page. I have a feeling that it would be too much of a hassle, but you wonder whether at a larger place with a host/hostess it could be done. Got a feeling it would be cumbersome, but it would be cool.
Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#14 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

I hate when a place has a website, that just links to a blog, where they post a menu, that is posted months ago, making you wonder if it's current.

It's a blog, easy to update. I don't blame QV, as her menu can change daily..

#15 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

McSweeney's: If This Fusion Restaurant's Website Could Talk

You want to see our menu??? Just click "About Us!" No, not the actual words, on the stylized elephant next to the words. Yes! DANCE MUSIC!!!

#16 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

Angelhair, that is brilliant! I love it! DANCE MUSIC!!!!!!

#17 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

Awesome, Angelhair, just awesome...

Now draw a circle around the old guru sitting on the mountain! Wait for him to walk down the mountain! THE MUSIC GETS LOUDER AS HE GETS CLOSER TO THE BOTTOM!!!! EXPLOSION OF FLOWERS!!!!!! HERE'S A TEN MEGABYTE PDF OF OUR MENU FROM 2004! YOU CAN PRINT IT OUT! ON LEGAL PAPER! FOLLOW US ON TWITTER!!!!!!

#18 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

That sounds like the Bruce Carey Restaurants websites -- and every website for a SF restaurant.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#19 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

DANCE MUSIC!!!

;o)

#20 sauteslut

sauteslut
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:food, wine, wiskey, women

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

making their menu using a Facebook plugin keeps me constantly connected to facebook, even when im on another website!

http://www.lamedusar...nt.com/menu.htm
L'unico frutto dell'amore č la Banana, č la Banana

Posted Image