Photo

D-Street Noshery Cart Pod

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Ah- I see what you're getting at!
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#22 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

I actually had the opposite reaction. I wasn't a big fan of the coconut's texture, though liked its flavor. Whereas I thought the strawberry's texture was better, probably because of the lack of fat that coconut milk has, making it less like ice cream/sherbet and more like ice or sorbet. I'd say the strawberry was more in the sorbet range than ice range. (Technically, they're the same stuff. But in practice, there seems to be a difference.) If I had to guess (though someone like Eva could probably give a much better guess), it's a function of the sugar, fruit pulp, and water. I think his flavors are more intensely fruity than most ices which are waterier. I imagine they have more sugar, too, which I know makes a sorbet more chewy. My guess is that he's making something more akin to a sorbet, which probably has more pureed fruit in it, whereas an ice would be more juice with chunks of fruit.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#23 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

I actually had the opposite reaction. I wasn't a big fan of the coconut's texture, though liked its flavor. Whereas I thought the strawberry's texture was better, probably because of the lack of fat that coconut milk has, making it less like ice cream/sherbet and more like ice or sorbet. I'd say the strawberry was more in the sorbet range than ice range. (Technically, they're the same stuff. But in practice, there seems to be a difference.) If I had to guess (though someone like Eva could probably give a much better guess), it's a function of the sugar, fruit pulp, and water. I think his flavors are more intensely fruity than most ices which are waterier. I imagine they have more sugar, too, which I know makes a sorbet more chewy. My guess is that he's making something more akin to a sorbet, which probably has more pureed fruit in it, whereas an ice would be more juice with chunks of fruit.

Yep, that's what I think, closer to what I would call a sorbet/sherbert than ices. Still a good product, though. I too love the intense fruit flavors.

Yeah, the fat of the coconut milk gave it a very un-ice-like mouthfeel, but I liked it. If you went the smoothie route, it would be a great choice of one of the 2 flavors you get to choose.

He's a really nice guy, too...and I need to try that pork sandwich! ;o)

We tried to go to Scoop after MMM in the pod on SE 50th and Ivon, but of course, they were closed, as they always are, it seems. So I remembered your post about Oregon Ice Works, and was glad I did.

If you just sold helados or paletas, we wouldn't have to do either. ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#24 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

We don't have space for a freezer right now, unfortunately.

btw, I wouldn't combine sorbet/sherbet. Sherbet has dairy, sorbet does not.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#25 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

We don't have space for a freezer right now, unfortunately.

btw, I wouldn't combine sorbet/sherbet. Sherbet has dairy, sorbet does not.

Yeah, I know...a girl can dream though...

I know that about sherbet and sorbet, but combined them because they both have a similar texture, one that seems creamier than what I would call "ices" and also because using coconut milk muddies the waters on that one.

On one hand, there is no dairy, so it is technically a sorbet, yet the coconut milk has a fat content akin to dairy making it way more like a sherbet than a sorbet. A vegan sherbet? A coconut milk sorbet? ;o)

#26 pdxmomma

pdxmomma
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:I love wings.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

I really like this pod, but not the name of it. It's seriously about 5 minutes away from my work, so it's a no-brainer to come by this pod during lunch whenever I have no clue as to what I want to eat!
  • I've recently tried the sandwiches at Oregon Ice Works. My husband loves the meatball sandwich, but I've had the pleasure of getting to try their lamb sausage sandwich (I forget what Kevin calls it). It's so yummy - lamb sausage served with arugula, beets and mayo on that really good bread of theirs.
  • I also love to frequent Pie Spot. Actually, I am addicted to having a pie hole (usually lemon, vanilla OR marionberry - depending on what's on the rack, cooling).
  • So the pie hole tastes really good with a pint of ALT or the Lager from Captured by Porches.
  • Oh, and the beer also goes really well with the kélaguen mannok (chopped chicken) dish from PDX671. If you haven't tried that dish, it's amazing... usually ends up being my dinner. lol

PDX671 and Blues City Biscuits are new to this pod. I think they both moved in around March. I've heard rumors about the lot being sold to a developer. Anyone know anything about this and what their plans are? Any idea where these carts will re-locate to? I like them all, and am really curious as to where they will end up...
"Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

#27 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

I've heard rumors about the lot being sold to a developer. Anyone know anything about this and what their plans are? Any idea where these carts will re-locate to? I like them all, and am really curious as to where they will end up...

I've heard conflicting things: A few weeks ago I heard that it was sold to a developer and would be one of those live/work places that are becoming ubiquitous, and the carts would be gone in November. Then yesterday we were talking to the girl at the Ice Works cart who said she wasn't sure, and the carts might be staying. Regardless, we'll have them there for summer.

I'm going to be pissed off if it goes. From what I hear, all these potential new places have no parking for their tenants. Not thrilled at all with that. Sure, it's right on a bus line, but come on.

#28 Kernel

Kernel
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

I've heard rumors about the lot being sold to a developer. Anyone know anything about this and what their plans are? Any idea where these carts will re-locate to? I like them all, and am really curious as to where they will end up...

I've heard conflicting things: A few weeks ago I heard that it was sold to a developer and would be one of those live/work places that are becoming ubiquitous, and the carts would be gone in November. Then yesterday we were talking to the girl at the Ice Works cart who said she wasn't sure, and the carts might be staying. Regardless, we'll have them there for summer.

I'm going to be pissed off if it goes. From what I hear, all these potential new places have no parking for their tenants. Not thrilled at all with that. Sure, it's right on a bus line, but come on.

The project as described here will force the cart pod out
My link

#29 pdxmomma

pdxmomma
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:I love wings.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

That is horrible news.
"Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

#30 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

Yeah, I talked to Kevin about a week or so ago and he said they'd be gone in November.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#31 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

Yeah, just what people need who live around there, more people parking in front of their houses. It's always a classy move.

#32 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Well, it looks like D-Street is officially done. Here's a listing of a lot of the carts that have moved or closed:

http://portlandfood....6-cart-updates/