D-Street Noshery Cart Pod

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 flyingfish

flyingfish
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

Tomorrow is the grand opening of D-street noshery. It's a new cart pod on Division across from Pok Pok. We are excited to have these carts open for business. Fuego de Lotus, The Pie Spot, Captured by Porches brewing, Flying Fish Co, Oregon Soup Works, Koi Fusion, Slice Brick Oven Pizza, Awesome Cone, Herb’s Mac and Cheeses. Yes that's right there will be organic draft beer served!!!! Check out the D-street website www.dstreetnoshery.com I am the Flying Fish Company. I sell unprepared sustainable seafood, local grass fed beef, lamb, local farm eggs and more. Come inside to my little market on wheels!!! lyf

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

Welcome to the site flyingfish and congrats on the new venture!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#3 waxfang

waxfang
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

Saw you guys setting up while I was waiting for mu Pok Pok lunch date Thursday afternoon...KOI FUSION? You mean I won't have to go across the river now if I want to get lunch there? SCORE.

#4 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

Was picking up some food at Pok Pok this afternoon and wandered through to see what was up. Not many places were open, but it was sort of an awkward time (3:30pm), plus X-mas week. The pizza place looked pretty promising, at least from the smells emanating from the cart and pics on their website (www.slicebrickovenpizza.com/). Also loved the mac & cheese cart's decor. If the food is half as awesome as the retro 50's-style cart looks, it should be a winner. Love the idea of beer with carts, too. This isn't far from my 'hood so I think I'll have to go back and start trying some places. Today, though, I really needed fish sauce wings.

#5 JayinPortland

JayinPortland
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

This isn't far from my 'hood so I think I'll have to go back and start trying some places.

Yeah, I can be there with just a 5-minute bus ride and a 5-minute walk. Danger!

Heh.

Early review of Slice at another "Slice" -

http://slice.serious...izza-truck.html

#6 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

I stopped by Slice about about a week ago. It was right at the start of that last cold snap so I got a whole pie to allow me to huddle indoors for a day or two. I got the 16" vodka pie which comes with fresh mozz, sausage, caramelized onions, and their creamy vodka sauce. The crust was thin and flavorful and somewhat crispy. Personally, I could've used a bit more crunch and possibly a little more char on the bottom, but I'm being picky. This is already one of the better crusts in town. Obviously I can't speak to their regular sauce, but the vodka sauce was pleasantly sweet and spicy with a little creaminess to it. The sausage was nicely thin-sliced and had a good flavor to it. I talked to the owners a bit and they said they were still working to get a bit more crunch to the crust. If they succeed, I think this place might make it into the top tier of places in town. Already, it's a damn fine pie. Of course, consistency can be tricky and I've only been here once, but I'd say they're definitely off to a good start and worth a stop in.

Posted Image

Also, looked at Herb's Mac & Cheese (link). They weren't open (it was a Tuesday), but there's a link for more info.

#7 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

They have a website, such as it is: http://dstreetnoshery.com/

#8 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

After lunch at Pok Pok the other day, I swung through this pod to see what was going on and just about all the carts were up and running (Awesome Cone guy was closed due to illness). Having just gorged ourselves, we weren't looking to buy, but it was neat to see and smell all the creations going on. We did poke our heads into the fish truck. I had a ton of food at home that needed to be consumed so I wasn't in the market but will definitely be making it back. He had a nice selection of great-looking fresh and frozen seafood, as well as beef, lamb, buffalo, and fresh eggs. Everything looked top-notch and the prices seemed very reasonable. This is definitely a place I'm gonna head back to next time I need some good seafood.

#9 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:20 AM

FYI - Flying Fish is now at D-Street Noshery on Sat and Sun only. Wed-Fri. Lyf is in the Eagles Lodge Parking Lot at 50th and Hawthorne.

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
12 pm - 7 pm
50th and Hawthorne
(Eagles Parking Lot)

Saturday and Sunday
12 pm - 7 pm
D-Street Noshery

3221 SE Division

(right across from Pok Pok)

Lyf has fish (deep sea fish that hasn't been defrosted - because it is flash frozen at sea when it is caught; as well as fish that has never been frozen), local meat (beef, pork, lamb) local eggs and is a really nice guy.

#10 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:42 PM

Had a marionberry pie over the weekend at the pie spot and it was awesome. :wub: Loved the sweet crumble topping. Just the right size for one person.
http://pie-spot.com/gallery.html
edited to add a link to a photo.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#11 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Posted Image

Tried Pie Spot.

Posted Image

Got their pecan "pie hole" for $3.50. I thought it was damned good. Unlike most pecan pies, it is nearly all nuts, eliminating the custard and instead using a sweet and sticky mixture to hold together the nuts. My wife thought there was too much crust to filling in the hole and would have preferred a slice of a bigger pie. I enjoyed their crust. It's very light.

I believe they're planning a B&M spot. Look forward to more tastes of their wares.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#12 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Posted Image

Tried Blues City Biscuits.

Posted Image

Unfortunately, what I had -- biscuits and sausage gravy with country ham -- wasn't very good. The biscuits were odd. They seemed more like dinner rolls in flavor and texture. They were very soft and didn't hold up to the gravy at all. The gravy was a cream gravy. Flavor was okay. Cream gravies are always a lot better when they include browned bits from the bottom of a pan. I don't think this did. Too much thickener, too, making it a bit pasty. Ham was fine.

Posted Image

They weren't totally devoid of charms, however.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#13 daisy

daisy
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Latest issue of SE Examiner says that the D-Street Noshery lot will soon be home to a new apt. building. As will the lot adjacent to the former Wild Oats/Natures. As is the former Vespa place/dilapidated building combo a couple of blocks down. None of them are required to provide parking. This is in addition to the apts. going in next to Whiskey Soda and the former Weird Bar spot. As a neighborhood resident, I am watching all of this transpire with mixed feelings.

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

This will be the future of many of the cart pods. As development becomes more lucrative, that real estate will become too good for carts. Division is the hot development stretch right now. Weird bar was just leveled. Several lots are getting razed. Other buildings are being redone. You might be surprised to hear that it may be that the city doesn't even WANT there to be parking for the buildings. It's often been the case with developments that they've pushed an anti-car agenda. The reason Chinatown Uwajimaya fell through was because the developers wanted to build a three level parking lot underneath and the city didn't want them to, trying to force the use of public transit instead. I don't know if that's the case here, but...

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#15 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

Posted Image

Hit up Oregon Ice Works.

Posted Image

They serve sandwiches now, btw. Kevin, the owner, is from Philly and this is his roast pork and raab sandwich. I thought it was quite good. The pork was roasted and in chunks, rather than thin sliced. It was juicy and the richness was offset by both the bitter greens and the peppers. The sharp cheese was nice, too. Good roll. I think he might have said it was from Fleur de Lys, but I can't remember. It had a nice sturdiness without being too bulky or injuring the roof of your mouth.

Posted Image

I'm a big fan of Italian ice and I think he does a very good job. It's not candy sweet as it can be. It tastes like the fruits. In this case it was marionberry on the bottom and peach-berry (I think) on top. Both were quite good. They were fruity, refreshing, and not sticky like many sorbets can be.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#16 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

perhaps a merge is in order?
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#17 JayinPortland

JayinPortland
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Kevin, the owner, is from Philly and this is his roast pork and raab sandwich. I thought it was quite good. The pork was roasted and in chunks, rather than thin sliced. It was juicy and the richness was offset by both the bitter greens and the peppers. The sharp cheese was nice, too. Good roll. I think he might have said it was from Fleur de Lys, but I can't remember. It had a nice sturdiness without being too bulky or injuring the roof of your mouth.

Different kind of roll, but it looks like Paesano's Arista sandwich, which is said by many to be the best roast pork around here. Been planning to try them for a while now, I'll probably stop in there in a couple weeks. I'm thinking the chunks, rather than thin-sliced, will be more to my liking. Looking forward to seeing the difference soon either way, though.

#18 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

That sandwich looks awesome.

Tried the ices yesterday. Really liked the flavor of the vanilla coconut and the strawberry that I tried. The texture of the vanilla coconut was really good, smooth and creamy. I really liked the fresh strawberry flavor so I went with a scoop of that. The strawberry had just come out of the deep freeze so it wasn't as smooth, but I get that. But as I slowly ate it, I wasn't thrilled with the gummy texture that developed...or the chunks of ice that I found along the way.

The mouth feel wasn't quite right for traditional Italian ices as I know them from my youth in Brooklyn or even my adulthood in Queens. That texture is smoother and finer and it doesn't coat your mouth, but melts clean away.

Still, it is a decent product and I will do more tasting there. The smoothies (pick two flavors and he blends it with a bit of Nancy's yogurt and water) looked awesome, might try one next.

Chatted with the nice woman from Blues City Biscuits (she's from Memphis). Might go there to try some of her grits dishes (she uses Anson Mills grits!) which sound great.

#19 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

The mouth feel wasn't quite right for traditional Italian ices as I know them from my youth in Brooklyn or even my adulthood in Queens. That texture is smoother and finer and it doesn't coat your mouth, but melts clean away

I have to wonder, from recollection of the classic ones and the very nice ones available today if it isn't the logical progression of having much better, more consistent freezers.
How much of the texture of the Italian ices of our youths was just the natural result of slow inconsistent freezing with fluctuating holding temps?
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#20 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

The mouth feel wasn't quite right for traditional Italian ices as I know them from my youth in Brooklyn or even my adulthood in Queens. That texture is smoother and finer and it doesn't coat your mouth, but melts clean away

I have to wonder, from recollection of the classic ones and the very nice ones available today if it isn't the logical progression of having much better, more consistent freezers.
How much of the texture of the Italian ices of our youths was just the natural result of slow inconsistent freezing with fluctuating holding temps?

Nah, the texture was definitely different...like there were gums or something in the mix, or the fruit itself imparted something (natural pectin?) that made it more like sherbert than ices. I liked the stuff - the flavor he gets out of his ingredients is top-notch, but it is a different animal from what I think of as traditional Italian ices.

The ices of my youth came from Italian bakeries like DeFillipis on 86th Street which is but a memory (and occasionally a pizzeria or two, many of which used another company's product). Very finely textured and handmade in small batches from the bakery...with the occasional pit from lemons or cherries. Great fruit flavors like cantalope and pineapple in addition to the lemon/cherry/chocolate choices. When I lived in Queens as an adult, I went to Ices King of Corona: http://thelemonicekingofcorona.com/ - not as special as the stuff at the bakery, but very similar in texture.